PDA

View Full Version : Icon 8-Feb-09 (POG derby)

smitty99
02-08-2009, 06:21 PM
Fished the Icon today for the Pot of Gold derby--a 3/4 day trip. Weather was not bad, a little windy at times and the sky looked ominous in areas but the rain pretty much avoided us all day.

We left around 0900 after watching a group of 4 guys get kicked off the boat because one of them refused to buy a license. :???: Couldn't figure that one out myself and most of us were left scratching our heads.:Rolls Eyes:

Anyhow we rolled out and dropped our sardines in on trap rigs. One guy hooked up within the first hour on a nice 15lb butt. (jackpot winner for the day)

I caught a Sheephead early on but had to release as they aren't in season.

My buddy caught a tiny little mack (Mr Pelican enjoyed the snack):ROFL:

OlFisherGal was there as was Bruce Watson. This was my first trip out on a charter in a long time and I appreciate both of them helping me out; providing some tips.

Overall it was a pretty slow day with one real nice butt (the 15lber) caught and a few small Sand Bass, one small Sculpin but that was pretty much it for keepers. A guy had what looked to be a legal but lost it at the side of the boat when the deckhand tried to net it. I think we managed to hook a few pelicans too:LOL:. The :Skunk: had quite a few victims today (Better luck next time OFG)

I didn't get too many great pictures of the fish because I was too busy trying to avoid the skunk myself.

DccFISHerMan
02-08-2009, 06:24 PM
Nice flattie, weather looked super awesome

JapanRon
02-08-2009, 07:40 PM
Hi smitty99,

Nice job on the report and pics. Maybe you'll hit it next time !!

tsurikichi

bruce watson
02-08-2009, 10:37 PM
Smitty99..it was nice meeting you today and that was a good report. You didn't mention my 3 fish, and how I cry when yet another of my shot halis is thrown back. But, I'm tired and I have to go to bed.

smitty99
02-09-2009, 08:59 AM
Smitty99..it was nice meeting you today and that was a good report. You didn't mention my 3 fish, and how I cry when yet another of my shot halis is thrown back. But, I'm tired and I have to go to bed.

Sorry Bruce! I couldn't remember what it was you had caught. I remember that you said you had to throw a few back. I'll get you next time!:Smile:

olfishergal
02-09-2009, 05:15 PM
Great meeting you smitty. It was a rough day out there when the wind came up. Glad when rockfish season starts again. I got the :Skunk: today and wasn't too sure why cept on the way home realized it was a full moon...I avoid fishing during full moon. Great day with good friends, so what no fish, I really enjoyed my day on the water.
OFG