PDA

View Full Version : best swimbait set up??

plus44
02-08-2009, 03:52 PM
i am looking for a good swimbait set up for myself.i am looking for something not over $125. i dont want nothing big cause i want to chuck some bbz's and matt lures.please give me some suggestions, i dont know where to start.

basscatcher
02-08-2009, 04:20 PM
get a okuma swimbait stick heavy and corvalus. with 25-30lb line

God Bless

basscatcher

lurk 182
02-08-2009, 06:52 PM
$125 for the rod and reel? i'd be looking for something used for that price. when you say you don't want anything "big" do you mean "expensive" , cause those BBZs are about four ounces and you need something pretty "big" to heave them out. i'd be looking at an eight foot rod rated for 20-50lb line and 2-6 oz lures, a good conventional reel, maybe a shimano cardiff 400.

samgann93
02-08-2009, 09:19 PM
get a okuma swimbait stick heavy and corvalus. with 25-30lb line

God Bless

basscatcher

i second that for the rod!
great stick for throwin bbz's

Ghost
02-08-2009, 09:26 PM
Using a 7'6" Heavy Okuma swimbait rod w/ split grips paired w/ last years Quantum Energy PT b/c reel in left hand. The reel has 18 lbs of drag pressure & can hold 150 yds or 12 lb line. I could put either 50 lb braid or 20 lb mono & have quite alot of line. What I like about this setup is the reel is low profile so my hand doesn't get tired casting after a while. Only reason to go w/ a round reel is the line capacity & if that's the case go w/ the Shimano Cardiff cuz it has a recessed reel foot & sits lower than other round reels, so it's just a bit more comfortable to fish w/ all day. I will be using my swimbait setup for light pike/musky fishing here in Indiana this year.

steve092
02-09-2009, 05:43 AM
You're not gonna be able to get anything for $125.

I'm no expert swimbaiter, but the setup I have does the job wonderfully.I'd recommend the Shimano Cardiff 400 ($120) with the Shimano Crucial swimbait rod ($150-$170). Total setup is around $285 with tax. I've never thrown swimbaits before I bought this setup, but I'll tell you, I can launch BBZ's with ease.

snag
02-09-2009, 05:58 AM
Rod & Reel?

You're not going to find anything under $250.00 that will comfortably handle a BBZ Trout Swim bait unless it used.

Rod - I use Okuma's and there OK considering their price $109.00...but for a few extra dollars, you can go to Pheonix or Shimano or....

The Okuma's are probably the heaviest of the bunch and will give you a good work out.

I'm into fitness so, I like to use the Okuma's to counteract the 1-1.5 pack cig habit I have.

I'd get too lazy, fishing really light set ups.

Good luck out there

DarkShadow
02-09-2009, 08:34 AM
The Okuma's are probably the heaviest of the bunch and will give you a good work out.

I'm into fitness so, I like to use the Okuma's to counteract the 1-1.5 pack cig habit I have.

:ROFL:

That's awesome, best review of the Okuma SB rods I've heard yet.

Lots of good responses here.

I thought I could find an affordable swim bait outfit and found out the hard way that "you gotta pay to play."

That Dang Guy
02-09-2009, 10:23 AM
IMO. If you can't spend more than $125 for a swimbait combo...how are you going to afford to buy $40-45 swimbaits. Just wait until you lose that swimbait.

BBZ start at around there. You can find blem punkers for around $35. Any cheaper than that and the swimbaits you're looking at really dont swim that well. At higher speeds they tend to spin and at extremely slow rolling they wobble instead of kick.

Atlaua
02-09-2009, 11:39 AM
IMO. If you can't spend more than $125 for a swimbait combo...how are you going to afford to buy $40-45 swimbaits. Just wait until you lose that swimbait.

I've always wondered that.

I've also wondered about the individuals that have a collection of expensive swim baits, but are rolling with half *** gear to throw them. You'd think they would've elected to get a decent setup to handle these baits, instead of buying 5 more Triple Trouts to add to their already extensive collection of baits they haven't caught any fish on.

matt duarte
02-09-2009, 12:29 PM
I've always wondered that.

I've also wondered about the individuals that have a collection of expensive swim baits, but are rolling with half *** gear to throw them. You'd think they would've elected to get a decent setup to handle these baits, instead of buying 5 more Triple Trouts to add to their already extensive collection of baits they haven't caught any fish on.

you can never have enough baits... if your only rollin with one bbz or one of each bait for that matter its gonna be crappy to see that bait break off and not have a back up...having a back up makes you not as mad when you loose a bait.. i have a t least 2 over every bait i toss.. 2 punkers, 2 bbz (had 3 more but they went bye bye) right now i only have one 10"TT but will be buying another 10 and a 8 this weekend.. 1 shell cracker (still need to pick up another) and so on...

but defently your not going to find a setup for under 125...my advice to you is to save that 125 till you have more money than buy the rod and reel you want... you will be a lot happier in the long run trust me.... using the wrong type of rod can hurt your pocket...i used my old ocen rod and reel to toss bbzs whe ni first started....it worked fine but the rod was to stiff and id either snap 30lb test casting and loose the bbz or my swimbait would get exploded on and the rod was to stiff so it just would pull the bait out of the fishes mouth...

your gonna WANT at least a 7' 10" rod no less! extra heavy meduim to fast action..as for the reels i dont like shamino cardiffs... i used a 200 for crank baits and whatnot and i hated it....TJ bought it from me for 40$ and he broke it casting...id say diawa luna is the way to go, expencive but you wont be sorry... or you can buy the diawa millionaire for 56 bucks..i have one and have had no problems with it...

That Dang Guy
02-09-2009, 01:58 PM
I don't think I would have a swimbait setup if I didn't have something from my inshore quiver that fit so well into the category. It's a JAWS TBlade Inshore Rod rated for 15-30lbs. fitted with a 300DSV. It handles BBZs and 6" punkers rather well...but I don't think it would handle larger 8oz or 10oz baits.

Alot of ocean rods are broomsticks. Way too stiff and way too fast for swimbaiting.

Atlaua
02-09-2009, 03:42 PM
you can never have enough baits

That may or may not be true....

....I could also say you can never have enough Z-rated tires. But it might be a waste if you put them on a Ford Focus with busted lugnuts....