PDA

View Full Version : Drop shot techique

Fishingmonkee
02-07-2009, 10:38 PM
So im trying to master this as it seems everybody uses it. All i know is to tie the weight at the bottom and the hook bout 12inches above the weight using a palomar knot. What kind of bait or lures should i be using?

Porkchop5420
02-07-2009, 10:45 PM
4 1/2 inch robo worm is a good bait.

calico killer kevin
02-07-2009, 10:46 PM
So im trying to master this as it seems everybody uses it. All i know is to tie the weight at the bottom and the hook bout 12inches above the weight using a palomar knot. What kind of bait or lures should i be using?
What are you fishing for?

Fishingmonkee
02-07-2009, 10:53 PM
nothing specific, it just seems alot of people have good luck using the drop shot? so i wanted to learn more about it?

Socal Bassman
02-07-2009, 11:09 PM
You can use just about any soft plastic bait on the dropshot. The most popular seem to be 4"-6" Roboworms, Zoom Trick Worms, Power Worms, and Lip Ripperz. I use anything from 3" reapers to 7" Robos on one setup. For my "oddball setup", I'll use anything from something like a Senko, 4" lizards, or a wacky rigged Flick Shake.

Also, the tag end doesn't have to be 12". It can be any length you want or what the current conditions are. Sometimes you have to experiment with different tag end lengths for certain conditions until you find what works.

BassFreak
02-07-2009, 11:19 PM
Keep an OPEN MIND Fishmonkee. Typical baits are 4-6 inch worms but really, ANY plastic bait can be used. no 1 bait is better than the other.. just keep in mind that Dropshot is only a way to show your bait to the fish, if you look at the whole picture and figure out how you want to show whichever bait to the fish, you can play around with this technique successfully..

calico killer kevin
02-07-2009, 11:41 PM
Well then... For trout, lip ripperz or powerworms.
For Bass, 4.5" curly of straight tail robos

hughpam
02-07-2009, 11:53 PM
Do you wacky them or not?

goseango
02-08-2009, 12:39 AM
make sure to pass the tag end back through the eye of the hook.....

Fishingmonkee
02-08-2009, 12:44 AM
make sure to pass the tag end back through the eye of the hook.....

when you mean pass the tag end back through the eye of the hook is to make the hook stand at a 45 degree angle correct? so when you hook on the worm or wuteva bait, it looks like it's suspending like this ------- and not drop down?

Liteliner
02-08-2009, 01:04 AM
when you mean pass the tag end back through the eye of the hook is to make the hook stand at a 45 degree angle correct? so when you hook on the worm or wuteva bait, it looks like it's suspending like this ------- and not drop down?

Correct...

I always try to keep the sinker in contact with the bottom of the lake im fishing and just twitch away. Lip Ripperz are killer for trout and roboworms are good for bass. Of course thats just me though. Im sure you will find your own go to bait.

Nessie Hunter
02-08-2009, 08:47 AM

There is no wrong way to D/S , no set tag end length. Everything is open to experiment with...
Much depends on depth, weeds, water color, sediment, bait used, water temp, and if your deadsticking or using a faster presentation...

I 'sometimes' run the tag end back through eye, to get hook point UP for better upper lip hooks for C&R...
My tag end is left long (dangling, until i find the depth I want) , I use Mojo weights with the clip (best move I ever made), and tie a granny knot, clip it on (lightly), and change the length often till I find a depth that works for me...
Same with presentation, slow. slower, deadstick, faster, jig it & deadstick.. On & on & on...
(the slower I jig/work it,, the more I wacky rig).. Ever throw a worm in the water and watch how it moves?? Wacky man.....
Experiment till you find the key for that day and location...

Dont forget, the further out you cast, the closer to bottom your bait will be, due to angle of line. Adjust acordingly.....
Steep drop off and semi long cast.. Set the depth at 24 or 30 inches (or more) to start, you may end up at 4 inches???..
Get the bait out of the bottom silt, the weeds & debris etc & find the fish.

Size it up, before you set it up......

a biley
02-08-2009, 10:10 AM
there are so many options as to what hooks to use and to what lures. I use both mosquito hooks and the Owner Drop shot hooks, I also rig them through the nose, or texas rig depending on hook. I can wacky rig also. I like to stick to the 4 1/2 robos or the jackall flick shake for wacky

El Weirdo
02-08-2009, 10:22 AM
http://www.bassdozer.com/articles/dropshot-hotshot.shtml

but time on the water is best...

Captain Castaic
02-08-2009, 11:09 AM
You only need to pass the tag end thru again if your hook is pointed down. You want the hook pointed up as it will present your bait more life like and make for easier hook setting.
I personally nose hook my plastics mostly...especially Robos. I use to hide the point back inside the worm but now I just nose hook them. Its a preference thing. Find what works for you. As someone said earlier the tag end can range in length. I have used it as short as 10 inches, say to have it just above some rocky rip rap..OR as long as 2 feet if theres grass or larger rocks. The structure will usually tell you what is needed...good luck.

C.C.

Red Fox
02-08-2009, 01:32 PM
You only need to pass the tag end thru again if your hook is pointed down. You want the hook pointed up as it will present your bait more life like and make for easier hook setting.
C.C.

Thank you Captain. Some fishermen just follow the instructions blindly without thinking why and what it is for. half the time you dont need to pass the tag end throught the eye any more, you want the hook point upwards since that is usually how you leverage the hook against the fish's mouth.

the lenght of the tag end just depends on how high off the bottom you want your bait to be. its as simple as that. someitmes you want your bait 1 inch from the bottom so more or less, tag end shall be 1 inch. sometimes you want your bait to be 10ft off the bottom, so put 10 ft of tag end.

Try and experiment with the baits you use, every bass and his momma has already seen the same old roboworm since everyone and their mommas also is dropshotting these days. it still works some of the time, but you can have a lot more success giving them a change-up every now and then.

Good luck.

Fishingmonkee
02-08-2009, 11:22 PM
thanks for all the input guys : ] greatly appreciated. Can or should i use the drop shot when saltwater fishing at the jetty? or is it more of just a pond/lake thing?

calico killer kevin
02-08-2009, 11:25 PM
thanks for all the input guys : ] greatly appreciated. Can or should i use the drop shot when saltwater fishing at the jetty? or is it more of just a pond/lake thing?
No limits man, no limits...

PUDD MASTER BAITER
02-09-2009, 07:07 AM
Every thing will hit a drop shot setup in the bay ,jettys ,or surf. Small to med. Flukes are great. Even yamamoto grubs work .pick up some flash trix minnows, and have at it. Halibut,croakers bass, and so on .. Good luck ,and god bless...... Mike the pmb....

BassMasterson
02-09-2009, 10:49 AM
Hey, great topic, I've been working on my dropshoting myself, no luck with it yet this year. I got a question I've been trying to figure out... how's the retrive? Is it best to just let it stay in one place and jig around for a while? or do you do more of a jig jig reel... jig jig reel type of teqnique? by the way thanks for posting this, everytime I ask for advise on this site, some jerk always tells me to f-off and learn on my own! haha... nice guys

That Dang Guy
02-09-2009, 11:20 AM
Slow is the key. If you're taking less than 5 mins per cast, you're going too fast. Something about the worm sitting in a location for 20-30secs wiggling drives them nuts. The weight should be in contact with the ground at all times. This means to wiggle the worm, you don't move the weight. Instead drop the rod tip and give it a bit of slack and then pick the slack back up. You'll be suprised how little movement causes the worm to wiggle around. Actually check it out in shallow water. ;)

If you're constantly getting stuck in rocks, drop down in size on the weight. You'll still get stuck and eventually lose weights, but it'll be less frequent. If you're fishing from shore it also helps to survey the shore when the water is down. It'll help you find large boulders and small rock piles that attract fish when the water is up a bit.

Bites can be very subtle. Sometimes they just pick it up or nibble on the worm. Don't get excited and swing on everything. Instead start adding a bit of tension. If you start to feel resistance follow through on your movement. Bill Dance style hooksets aren't required. =p Also watch your line for any ticks or if the line starts moving away set the hook.

BassMasterson
02-09-2009, 11:48 AM
Slow is the key. If you're taking less than 5 mins per cast, you're going too fast. Something about the worm sitting in a location for 20-30secs wiggling drives them nuts. The weight should be in contact with the ground at all times. This means to wiggle the worm, you don't move the weight. Instead drop the rod tip and give it a bit of slack and then pick the slack back up. You'll be suprised how little movement causes the worm to wiggle around. Actually check it out in shallow water. ;)

If you're constantly getting stuck in rocks, drop down in size on the weight. You'll still get stuck and eventually lose weights, but it'll be less frequent. If you're fishing from shore it also helps to survey the shore when the water is down. It'll help you find large boulders and small rock piles that attract fish when the water is up a bit.

Bites can be very subtle. Sometimes they just pick it up or nibble on the worm. Don't get excited and swing on everything. Instead start adding a bit of tension. If you start to feel resistance follow through on your movement. Bill Dance style hooksets aren't required. =p Also watch your line for any ticks or if the line starts moving away set the hook.

Hey thanks a lot! Great advise, I've been watching youtube videos of drop shotting, and that seems to be about right! So you think its 20-30 seconds then reel a bit and repeat?
p.s. I thought for sure someone would say "f-off, learn on your own" to be funny! haha, I kinda set myself up for that one...

flyforfish21
02-09-2009, 01:45 PM
BassMasterson...

I am by no means a drop shot expert or anything, but how you work it depends on how they want it also. I have hits just jigging fast back across the bottom just as much as deadsticking. I think it is also a confidence thing, find a retrieve you are comfortable with and go from there. I always start with the way i find comfortable for me, then experiment if i can't get any hits. Some days its fast, other times twitch PPPPPPPPAAAAAUUUUUSSSSEEEE will get hit. Find out what works for you, right now is kinda tough anyway, wait and few weeks and drop shot will get you a lot of fish. Good luck man, and don't be afraid to try different baits...!

flyforfish21

BassFreak
02-09-2009, 07:13 PM
p.s. I thought for sure someone would say "f-off, learn on your own" to be funny! haha, I kinda set myself up for that one...

F-OFF AND LEARN ON YOUR OWN!! Haha, j/k :ROFL:

Well, half kidding actually, since you really are better off experimenting on your own. keep in mind there is no "proper" way to fish the dropshot, slow works one day and fast the next. make sure to understand the concept behind it and then you can use the technique successfully wether youre retrieving it fast or slow.. :Wink:

Captain Castaic
02-09-2009, 07:15 PM
Hey thanks a lot! Great advise, I've been watching youtube videos of drop shotting, and that seems to be about right! So you think its 20-30 seconds then reel a bit and repeat?

dUDE "F OFF LEARN ON YOUR OWN" lol Man you said it like three times!!! lol This is a learned skill. You do have to experiment and adjust to the situation. Like someone said. After you cast I let it sit idle with no movement for like 30 seconds or so...I then jig,jig it and then wait. I repeat this ALL THE WAY BACK. Which is important as I personally have seen a fish following my presentation (for how long who knows) and when my worm (in his eyes) was getting too close to shore (about 4 feet) He hit HIS point of no return moment and struck that bastard right in front of me and broke water that hit my legs. No joke...!
Another tip from me is every now and then on your retrieve I will take up the slack so as the weight is on the bottom and my line is taunt to weight. At this point ANY MOVEMENT OF YOUR ROD will move your plastic in a great way. I practice new ideas in my pool to get a good idea of what the heck I'm doing out there. Just shaking the rod tip at those times works well. Just try not to lift your weight off bottom as it may spook an interested fish.
One thing I have learned is that it is a VERY SLOW way to fish. If you like to be flinging cranks and moving from spot to spot...you will find this type of fishing PAINSTAKINGLY SLOW. Some casts can last well over 5 minutes depending on the length of the cast...It is my primarl way to fish...It has done exceptionally well for me for many many years....

Good Luck

C.C.

BassMasterson
02-09-2009, 07:31 PM
Hey thanks! I think I kinda jacked this guys thead. Haha, I hope he is learning too. I'm gonna hit up Castaic one of these days, do you have to pay to get in/park there on a weekday?

Fishingmonkee
02-10-2009, 07:27 PM
Hey thanks! I think I kinda jacked this guys thead. Haha, I hope he is learning too. I'm gonna hit up Castaic one of these days, do you have to pay to get in/park there on a weekday?

dude WTF, F-OFF AND GO LEARN IN YOUR OWN THREAD!!! jk jk, it's cool with me, either way im learning and more people are responding.

surfnfish
02-10-2009, 11:18 PM
I don't know how everyone else here feels about braid, but I've found that as far as the dropshot goes, it helps a lot. I just like fishing braid and about a 6 foot flouro leader. The low stretch allows for amazing sensitivity to feel those subtle tick tick bites that everyone is discussing(especially in deep water) Also you can get some crazy action with even the slightest rod tip movements. Thats at least my own opinion. Hope you guys all consider it.

Liteliner
02-11-2009, 01:11 AM
There is no wrong way to D/S , no set tag end length. Everything is open to experiment with...
Much depends on depth, weeds, water color, sediment, bait used, water temp, and if your deadsticking or using a faster presentation...

I 'sometimes' run the tag end back through eye, to get hook point UP for better upper lip hooks for C&R...
My tag end is left long (dangling, until i find the depth I want) , I use Mojo weights with the clip (best move I ever made), and tie a granny knot, clip it on (lightly), and change the length often till I find a depth that works for me...
Same with presentation, slow. slower, deadstick, faster, jig it & deadstick.. On & on & on...
(the slower I jig/work it,, the more I wacky rig).. Ever throw a worm in the water and watch how it moves?? Wacky man.....
Experiment till you find the key for that day and location...

Dont forget, the further out you cast, the closer to bottom your bait will be, due to angle of line. Adjust acordingly.....
Steep drop off and semi long cast.. Set the depth at 24 or 30 inches (or more) to start, you may end up at 4 inches???..
Get the bait out of the bottom silt, the weeds & debris etc & find the fish.

Size it up, before you set it up......

Great info Nessie. I been dropshotting for like 6 months now on and off. I never really thought about the angle of line though. Thanks again.

Liteliner
02-11-2009, 01:14 AM
Man lots of good info on dropshotting here. Thanks for all the tips guys. Im gonna go dropshotting this week....

Skyler
02-11-2009, 09:07 AM
Do you wacky them or not?

If you guys don't wacky rig, you are definitely missing out. I like to use about a 16" tag, a 4-5" worm, and 1/2 oz weight. That way I can keep the worm in one spot for extended periods. Work the worm with a series of short fast twitches, and keep the movement size to a minimum. If you are good, you can make it quiver in place for a good minute of two before reeling in at all. And the finicky fish sure seem to hit it a lot more willingly than a standard D/S.

goseango
02-11-2009, 09:23 AM
If you have access to a swiming pool then do a little practice session. This will help understand how the bait moves with the slightest of movement.

surfnfish
02-11-2009, 10:43 AM
If you guys don't wacky rig, you are definitely missing out.
I have wacky rigged the dropshot with great results, however there is another technique worth trying, or at least mentiong. It works just like a dropshot, but you can work it deeper, stay in contacct with your worm and the bottom better, and its simplly something different. Ceck it out. http://optimumbaits.com/OB2/Zappu.php

hughpam
02-11-2009, 10:59 AM
I have wacky rigged the dropshot with great results, however there is another technique worth trying, or at least mentiong. It works just like a dropshot, but you can work it deeper, stay in contacct with your worm and the bottom better, and its simplly something different. Ceck it out. http://optimumbaits.com/OB2/Zappu.php

Cool! Thanks!

HBJapo
02-11-2009, 11:35 AM

That is a cool technique.

Thx,

Japo :Envious:

Skyler
02-11-2009, 11:58 AM

That is cool! I'm gonna give that one a try. Thanks.

That Dang Guy
02-11-2009, 12:36 PM
The wacky jig is a fun way of presenting. They key is soft and subtle movements of the rod tip. The tip barely moves but the line looks like it's oscillating. This gets the jig head to rotate in a half or quarter circle around the worm instead of pulling it forward. Spend some time watching it and you'll be golden.

BassMasterson
02-11-2009, 01:00 PM
If its not raining to bad, I'm gonna hit up that tourny at Irvine this weekend, and you better bet atleast one of my pole is gonna be dedicated to dropshotting power worms/mouse the whole time. I gotta get me one of those steelheads. I had no luck on those things last time, but I'm gonna go all out with it this weekend!

Fishingmonkee
02-11-2009, 06:34 PM
how do you wacky rig?

BassMasterson
02-11-2009, 09:13 PM
how do you wacky rig?

just hook the senko or worm straight through the middle so both ends can flap freely

Fishingmonkee
02-11-2009, 10:11 PM
thanks for the info bro, i never thought this thread would go on for 4 pages hahaha.

Skyler
02-12-2009, 08:35 AM
thanks for the info bro, i never thought this thread would go on for 4 pages hahaha.

You just made it 5, lol.