PDA

View Full Version : Shimano Japan Vs. Shimano U.S.A

calico killer kevin
02-07-2009, 06:50 PM
So since I couldn't go to Irvine today, I decided to go to Bass Pro to pick up
a few things. Got a 7'6" Bass Pro Microlite trout rod and some other stuff. My
problem now is whether I should get a 1000 sized Shimano Nasci(Japan) or a
Shimano Sahara(U.S.A). Both are about the same price, but the Nasci is a
little more refined and looks nicer, while the Sahara would be easier to service
or find spare parts. I want to use it for trout fishing(minijigs, dropshot, etc.)
with 2lb line and I also want to use it for light harbor fishing(small swimbaits,
light crankbaits, etc.) with 6lb line. I want an extra spool and that is a big
deal to me. Which would you recommend any why?

That Dang Guy
02-07-2009, 07:01 PM
I would recommend going with the Sahara. JDM reels only come with 1 spool. The Nasci is based on all old "technology". The only thing it has over Sahara is Aero-X and possibly an waterproof drag (I'm unsure if the Sahara comes with one). Also, the Sahara is also lighter.

That being said..i went JDM went i bought my Biomaster (Stradic) strictly because domestic models do no offer a C2000 model. My only regret is the fact that it does not have Paladin gearing and does not feel as smooth as other Shimano reels I own.

calico killer kevin
02-07-2009, 07:06 PM
I would recommend going with the Sahara. JDM reels only come with 1 spool. The Nasci is based on all old "technology". The only thing it has over Sahara is Aero-X and possibly an waterproof drag (I'm unsure if the Sahara comes with one). Also, the Sahara is also lighter.

That being said..i went JDM went i bought my Biomaster (Stradic) strictly because domestic models do no offer a C2000 model. My only regret is the fact that it does not have Paladin gearing and does not feel as smooth as other Shimano reels I own.
Thanks a lot. I think I may pick up a Sahara tomorrow at Fisherman's Access.
Are there any HUGE benefits of a sealed drag?

sesgia
02-07-2009, 07:23 PM
the Nasci is a good reel:Wink: i have the 3000 and as for parts is the same
you can just fix it up here and use the us parts. :Twisted:im not happy because it doesn't come with a spool

flopps1
02-07-2009, 08:50 PM
Keep it Shimano US! If you need servicing, warranty repair, or parts replaced, then it wouldn't be a problem. Shimano US does not carry parts for the Japanese versions.

Nessie Hunter
02-08-2009, 07:53 AM
Thanks a lot. I think I may pick up a Sahara tomorrow at Fisherman's Access.
Are there any HUGE benefits of a sealed drag?

NO....
If you can work 'just a little' on your own, Get some quality drag grease (Cals or Shimano) and apply liberally to the drag stack. That will waterproof them..
Waterproof drags are not totally waterproof anyway..

Drags are under spool nut that adjusts drag pressure.. Unscrew all the way = remove....
Then remove HEX shaped wire keeper (using care that it doesnt BOING off into the carpet)....
Make sure and note the ORDER the drag washers & Plates come out (very important)....
Grease em up and replace in exact same order.....

Shimano USA will not service or sell parts for a JDM.
But the parts are "generally" interchangeable...
If you know what your looking for...

SOUTHPAWSTICK
02-08-2009, 11:24 AM
What do you guys think about the calcutta vs. the conquest?? I called Shimano and they said they would service a conquest but it might take longer to get parts. I have heard the conquest is a much better reel than the calcutta.

calico killer kevin
02-08-2009, 01:24 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm gonna get the Sahara right after the
Lakers game is over.:Cool:

What do you guys think about the calcutta vs. the conquest?? I called Shimano and they said they would service a conquest but it might take longer to get parts. I have heard the conquest is a much better reel than the calcutta.
The Conquest is great, but the price and performance is more comparable
to an American model TE GT.

sesgia
02-08-2009, 07:46 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm gonna get the Sahara right after the
Lakers game is over.:Cool:

The Conquest is great, but the price and performance is more comparable
to an American model TE GT.

the Conquest is much better than the TE and is design more for fine tuneing

calico killer kevin
02-08-2009, 08:29 PM
Alright, I went and got the Sahara 1000. It is buttery smooth, but we'll see
how that holds up. One thing I noticed is that the spin is kind of "tight" unlike
my Shimano Elf, which is free flowing. The Sahara compared to the Elf is a
little bit bigger around the bottom and does not have a sealed drag, the lip of
the Sahara spool has a nice convex angle, the Sahara's drag adjustment is a bit more refined, and the spools between the two are interchangeable so it
looks like I may be buying two more Sahara spools if I can't find an Elf spool.

the Conquest is much better than the TE and is design more for fine tuneing

TEGT:Cool:

SanDimasLMB
02-09-2009, 12:55 AM
Short and sweet, go the JDM route only if you are truely dedicated and can support the maintenance cost and the temptations (i.e. BassArt handles) offered by premium japanese companies.

The above especially pertains to JDM rods. My friend got a Evergreen Zephyr spinning rod for inshore, and it broke on him. Since the rod is JDM, and he is in America, the warranty does not apply, so he basically spent ~$500 USD for a rod that he was able to use only for 2 weeks.

DarkShadow
02-09-2009, 08:37 AM
My friend got a Evergreen Zephyr spinning rod for inshore, and it broke on him. Since the rod is JDM, and he is in America, the warranty does not apply, so he basically spent ~$500 USD for a rod that he was able to use only for 2 weeks.

Ouch.

Did you point and laugh at him?

That Dang Guy
02-09-2009, 10:25 AM
Ouch. Any idea what kind of warranty Evergreen has on their rods? Is it possible for someone in Japan to send the rod for exchange?

calico killer kevin
02-09-2009, 06:58 PM
Short and sweet, go the JDM route only if you are truely dedicated and can support the maintenance cost and the temptations (i.e. BassArt handles) offered by premium japanese companies.

The above especially pertains to JDM rods. My friend got a Evergreen Zephyr spinning rod for inshore, and it broke on him. Since the rod is JDM, and he is in America, the warranty does not apply, so he basically spent ~$500 USD for a rod that he was able to use only for 2 weeks.
Haha, Wow. What a sucky fishing trip. I'm pretty sure theres something that
can be worked out for a $500 rod...

SanDimasLMB
02-09-2009, 08:03 PM
Haha, Wow. What a sucky fishing trip. I'm pretty sure theres something that
can be worked out for a $500 rod...

It just can't. Just because its a $500 rod doesn't mean that it should be replaced for no cost even though the warranty has been voided.

Ouch.

Did you point and laugh at him?

LOL, I almost CRIED with him! :Shocked:

Ouch. Any idea what kind of warranty Evergreen has on their rods? Is it possible for someone in Japan to send the rod for exchange?

Evergreen Japan offers FULL WARRANTY if the owner is in Japan, but the warranty is voided for the usual reasons (i.e. abused, poorly taken care of, etc.) and if the owner is not in Japan, which is the problem for my friend.

My friend and I did think about sending it to my uncle in Tokyo, but we really haven't gotten around to it. :LOL:

BULLDOG
02-10-2009, 04:46 PM
So since I couldn't go to Irvine today, I decided to go to Bass Pro to pick up
a few things. Got a 7'6" Bass Pro Microlite trout rod and some other stuff. My
problem now is whether I should get a 1000 sized Shimano Nasci(Japan) or a
Shimano Sahara(U.S.A). Both are about the same price, but the Nasci is a
little more refined and looks nicer, while the Sahara would be easier to service
or find spare parts. I want to use it for trout fishing(minijigs, dropshot, etc.)
with 2lb line and I also want to use it for light harbor fishing(small swimbaits,
light crankbaits, etc.) with 6lb line. I want an extra spool and that is a big
deal to me. Which would you recommend any why?

Hey Bud you might want to check the long fin website they have some great on line deals on shimano reels.

http://www.thelongfin.com/shimano-symetre-fi-reels.html

calico killer kevin
02-10-2009, 10:08 PM
Hey Bud you might want to check the long fin website they have some great on line deals on shimano reels.

http://www.thelongfin.com/shimano-symetre-fi-reels.html

Symetre is a great reel, but I still think the new Sahara performs better than
last year's model Symetre(even though the Symetre is a higher end reel).
Besides, I will never go back to the old, lower end handles.

That Dang Guy
02-11-2009, 12:02 AM
My dad's line of work sends him to Japan at least once a year and he has a few contacts over there. But since your Uncle lives there, that would be the your best bet. Not to mention you wouldn't need to feel paranoid about who's handling the $500 rod. =p