PDA

View Full Version : Moby Dick In Duct?

yolo
02-07-2009, 10:25 AM
Went out this morning and hit 3 spots in Palmdale for about 20 minutes each. Nothing for me. Ran into a guy at spot 2 that was out in various places since 3:30am and he told me nothing for him at all either.

At spot 3 I came across a heavy duty rig that someone made and left there. It had numerous hooks and there was some chicken liver on them. It looks like someone before me pulled it up as it was out of the water and resting on the side. Another illegal activity at the duct. This thing looks like it was made for catching Moby Dick. I left it as I saw it but maybe I should have picked it up and thrown it away? How would one explain that to a game warden if they just happened to be passing by and thought it was you that was using it? Here's a couple of pics. I think this gives new meaning to the term bait and wait.

RamboBoy
02-07-2009, 10:33 AM
Oh man, that is illegally. Poachers people who do not have a fishing license and are doing illegally fishing rig in the duct.

Have someone take pictures and give report to DFG, so make wardens to do the job outing and give tickets, not sitting in the office, lol.

spooky007
02-07-2009, 10:53 AM
Yea, that stuff is all over here in Bakersfielsd. What they do here though is hammer nails in the concrete and long line bait. The lines are spaced every 100 ft. Should have cut it up and thrown it away!!

yolo
02-07-2009, 11:17 AM
That thing needs some serious cable/bolt cutters to cut up. That is like bicycle lock material hence the Moby Dick reference. I have stepped on the left over nails that people hammer into the expansion joints. I have seen those and just line tied to the ladders but this was a first and one serious set up.

tenderloin
02-07-2009, 12:45 PM
Come on guys...These people don't know any better. It is their culture, now right to fish this way. They are just feeding their families. Did I miss any excuse in this PC world?

cutbait
02-07-2009, 02:28 PM
Come on guys...These people don't know any better. It is their culture, now right to fish this way. They are just feeding their families. Did I miss any excuse in this PC world?

For the price of that cable, stainless steel cable clamps, hooks, bait, and gas money they could of "fed their families" for a week!

yolo
02-07-2009, 03:06 PM
Looks like I have to carry my cable/lock cutter with me now. The tie was under water as the water level was up this morning. If it's still there next time I go out, I'll take the cutter and cut it off.

socalrippin
02-07-2009, 08:13 PM

i dont think its a cultural thing, what culture does that?

just a lazy as$ fisherman....

slixx
02-07-2009, 09:04 PM
I was fishing the duct bout 40min from the fresno area when i went to visit my relatives there and I actually had a guy come up to his rig and check it right in front of me, and he just looked at me and put the rig back in the water and went to his next spot. At that same location we found two rigs, my uncle says that at most of the locations that they normally fish they usually find these rigs. 50lb test line tied to heavy nuts or bolts with bait on them. they usally pull them in and toss them. he even says that they would find dead stripers on some of them.

tpfishnfool
02-08-2009, 07:10 AM
We must KILL all poachers ! Lock and load my brothers...

yolo
02-08-2009, 07:47 AM
Problem solved this morning. Man it was windy and cold.

RamboBoy
02-08-2009, 07:53 AM
What a champion? You did a good job, man. lol

RamboBoy
02-08-2009, 07:55 AM
Was snow out there now in Palmdale? It was raining yesterday and I saw lots of snow on the mountain in Palm Springs, Yucca Valley, and Big Bear.

yolo
02-08-2009, 08:06 AM
No snow as it was not a cold enough storm. The one coming tomorrow is supposed to have a much lower snow level. Last snow session was great for me as I caught 3 fish. Bring the snow!

tpfishnfool
02-08-2009, 10:37 AM

Yea !!! I owe you a beer Mr Yolo !

Ifishtoolittle
02-08-2009, 03:05 PM
Man that rig looks like it's for Makos :LOL:.

Hitts0n
02-09-2009, 06:31 PM
I like that idea! Too bad there wasnt like 3 cats on that stringer...lma00 !:ROFL:

StriperEye
02-10-2009, 12:47 AM
Wow thats horrible too see people pull that kind of *#@! around here! Good job taking care of it!! Sorry for the skunks tho! you will be rewarded soon!!

Eat Sleep Fish
02-10-2009, 01:34 AM
cant get more dirty than that...freakin poachers:Evil::Evil::Evil::Evil:

FishingFanatic
02-10-2009, 08:45 AM
That thing looks like it could hold 3 or 4 of the poachers themselves. Lets try it out.

HBJapo
02-10-2009, 04:03 PM

Great job yolo! You are da man. Karma and the fishing gods will definitely reward you!

Japo :Envious:

RamboBoy
02-10-2009, 07:32 PM
No snow as it was not a cold enough storm. The one coming tomorrow is supposed to have a much lower snow level. Last snow session was great for me as I caught 3 fish. Bring the snow!

caught three fish so far, cool.