PDA

View Full Version : garlic powerbait dough help please =[

lilmystery246
02-06-2009, 03:04 PM
where do they sell garlic powerbait in the 626? do they sell them at corona lake? im going in a few hours to fish till 4:00 pm tommorow =]

lilmystery246
02-06-2009, 03:26 PM
oh and i forgot thanks to every1 thats been helping me with my questions

pasadenafishin
02-06-2009, 03:27 PM
johnnies sport shop. Lincoln ave, pasadena CA

GET DA NET
02-06-2009, 03:31 PM
sports chalet and sports authority

lilmystery246
02-06-2009, 03:34 PM
sports chalet and sports authority

wheres sports chalet?

Hitts0n
02-06-2009, 03:42 PM
where do they sell garlic powerbait in the 626? do they sell them at corona lake? im going in a few hours to fish till 4:00 pm tommorow =]

Garlic Bang work better. And I can give you a few more tips.Pm me...i'll hook you up !

lilmystery246
02-06-2009, 03:49 PM
Garlic Bang work better. And I can give you a few more tips.Pm me...i'll hook you up !

what is that do they sell it at corona lake?

lilmystery246
02-06-2009, 04:47 PM
do they sell in corona lake?

sansou
02-06-2009, 04:55 PM
Honestly, I personally think you're gonna be fine even if you don't have some special "garlic powerbait". The earth won't spin off it's axis if you don't have it. (I think Corona sells the "Crave" lineup.)

Stockers will bite pretty much anything half way decently presented. Besides, inflated crawlers almost never ever fail, and what worked yesterday for PB might not be the "ticket" today.

If you insist on using garlic and can't find the particular stuff you're looking for, just bring along some garlic powder and roll your PB in that. Or, just buy the garlicky Nitro grease they sell at the baitshop, heat it up a little in your car, and smear it on your gumball of PB.

Good luck out there!

lilmystery246
02-06-2009, 04:59 PM
Honestly, I personally think you're gonna be fine even if you don't have some special "garlic powerbait". The earth won't spin off it's axis if you don't have it. (I think Corona sells the "Crave" lineup.)

Stockers will bite pretty much anything half way decently presented. Besides, inflated crawlers almost never ever fail, and what worked yesterday for PB might not be the "ticket" today.

If you insist on using garlic and can't find the particular stuff you're looking for, just bring along some garlic powder and roll your PB in that. Or, just buy the garlicky Nitro grease they sell at the baitshop, heat it up a little in your car, and smear it on your gumball of PB.

Good luck out there!

dont you work in richards tackle? i just called and they said they have it so im on my way there rite now =]

lilmystery246
02-06-2009, 05:02 PM

Good luck out there!

wait nevermind i was thinking about sesgia lol sorry

sansou
02-06-2009, 05:03 PM
dont you work in richards tackle? i just called and they said they have it so im on my way there rite now =]

Not me dude!

PureAle
02-06-2009, 06:32 PM
go to

FISHERMANS ACCESS they have it there cause i bought it there.

in BREA look it up on google.

call them. they changed their location like a block away from what it used to be i suppose.

lurk 182
02-06-2009, 10:07 PM
garlic powerbait? what happened to your swimbait setup? you should be throwing trout not fishing for them. this is big bass weather little buddy. they're in there too don't forget.

sesgia
02-06-2009, 11:45 PM
Not me dude!
for some reason some people think you are me :ROFL:

lilmystery246
02-07-2009, 12:28 AM
garlic powerbait? what happened to your swimbait setup? you should be throwing trout not fishing for them. this is big bass weather little buddy. they're in there too don't forget.

yes but im not that good at throwing swimbait yet and the line will slip out my thumb

Bradakas
02-07-2009, 09:58 AM
Garlic and Chart Gulp have been killers this year for me...btw you do NEED it. Seriously, I was getting outfished by another dude who was using garlic 2 to 1 at one of my local spots...

bsp
02-07-2009, 12:55 PM
Garlic and Chart Gulp have been killers this year for me...btw you do NEED it. Seriously, I was getting outfished by another dude who was using garlic 2 to 1 at one of my local spots...

I highly doubt you NEED it. Maybe the other guy was using a different leader length, different hook size, different weight, or a different leader material. It's generally a much better idea to change the way you are presenting your lure rather than change the color/scent. No matter what powerbait you are using, you are not going to get a trout if you have a 3ft leader and the fish are less than a foot off the bottom.

calico killer kevin
02-07-2009, 01:50 PM
I highly doubt you NEED it. Maybe the other guy was using a different leader length, different hook size, different weight, or a different leader material. It's generally a much better idea to change the way you are presenting your lure rather than change the color/scent. No matter what powerbait you are using, you are not going to get a trout if you have a 3ft leader and the fish are less than a foot off the bottom.
From first hand experience. Color and scent are the difference. If it is as you
say, them why would there be so many colors and flavors? There has got to
be a reason. There are many times when one flavor will just plain outfish all
the others. Such as this winter, where green and garlic are just killing the
rest.

bsp
02-07-2009, 02:20 PM
From first hand experience. Color and scent are the difference. If it is as you say, them why would there be so many colors and flavors? There has got to be a reason. There are many times when one flavor will just plain outfish all
rest.

My first hand experience stems from the fact that I see people let their kids pick which powerbait color they want from the tackle shop, and then those people will catch just as many trout as the people who carefully tried to pick the colors. The reason they make so many different colors is because people will buy them. Changing the color of the dye doesn't cost Berkley that much, and it gives the appearance that they are doing something different. The Gulp! dough is different though. They actually changed the composition of the bait, as opposed to the color, and IMO it works a little better than the powerbait version in the same color.

Color does make a difference for certain things, like bright colors in murky water and more subtle ones in clear water. Scent also plays role because it masks any unpleasant odors, like tobacco, grease, fish blood, and any other smell that might trip the trout off that something isn't right. These things only make a difference though if the lure/bait is presented correctly. What I am saying is that it is much more important to present the lure properly, and have a fish holding location, than to worry about your powerbait color.

I'll use a specific example. When I was at Castaic Lagoon in December, there were guys tossing all the powerbait they had at the trout, but still got skunked. While I was working the swimbait, my dad got a limit of trout in an hour on his powerbait while drop shotting for bass. After my dad pulled in his fourth trout, one of them came over and asked what color powerbait my dad was using. My dad showed him the chartreuse powerbait, and the guy said that was what they were using. It turns out that they were also using 8lb mono for leaders and tossing out as far as they could. My dad was using 2lb flouro and was casting right into a little channel that was only 10ft from shore. Needless to say, those guys only changed their powerbait color, and still got skunked.

The Angler
02-07-2009, 02:32 PM
From first hand experience. Color and scent are the difference. If it is as you
say, them why would there be so many colors and flavors? There has got to
be a reason. There are many times when one flavor will just plain outfish all
rest.

I agree the last couple times ive been out i got the skunk while everyone but me at the lakes are using green Power bait and killin it. I finally tapped out and bought some green Power bait, I was trying so hard to get the first trout on a lure and was getting skunked. But green is the hot ticket right now. Its always out everywhere too.

BassMasterson
02-07-2009, 02:37 PM
Yup, I'd Have to say leader length and test is always the key to trout. I'd go so far as to say that the difference in fishing worms or powerbait is pretty slim as well. As long as you put your bait where the fish are, they'll eat it.

The Angler
02-08-2009, 01:11 AM
So what do you say the standard for leader length is? 10''-12'':???:

Slims
02-08-2009, 10:11 AM
So what do you say the standard for leader length is? 10''-12'':???:

The "standard" length is usually 18". 8-10" is considered short, and 22-24" are considered long. Anything past 2 feet is usually hard to cast unless you have a very long fishing rod.

calico killer kevin
02-08-2009, 09:04 PM
My first hand experience stems from the fact that I see people let their kids pick which powerbait color they want from the tackle shop, and then those people will catch just as many trout as the people who carefully tried to pick the colors. The reason they make so many different colors is because people will buy them. Changing the color of the dye doesn't cost Berkley that much, and it gives the appearance that they are doing something different. The Gulp! dough is different though. They actually changed the composition of the bait, as opposed to the color, and IMO it works a little better than the powerbait version in the same color.

Color does make a difference for certain things, like bright colors in murky water and more subtle ones in clear water. Scent also plays role because it masks any unpleasant odors, like tobacco, grease, fish blood, and any other smell that might trip the trout off that something isn't right. These things only make a difference though if the lure/bait is presented correctly. What I am saying is that it is much more important to present the lure properly, and have a fish holding location, than to worry about your powerbait color.

I'll use a specific example. When I was at Castaic Lagoon in December, there were guys tossing all the powerbait they had at the trout, but still got skunked. While I was working the swimbait, my dad got a limit of trout in an hour on his powerbait while drop shotting for bass. After my dad pulled in his fourth trout, one of them came over and asked what color powerbait my dad was using. My dad showed him the chartreuse powerbait, and the guy said that was what they were using. It turns out that they were also using 8lb mono for leaders and tossing out as far as they could. My dad was using 2lb flouro and was casting right into a little channel that was only 10ft from shore. Needless to say, those guys only changed their powerbait color, and still got skunked.

I agree with the line thing, but thats a different subject. The point I'm
trying to get across is that, if two identical rigs are fished in the same
place with two different color powerbait, one color will 80% of the time
outfish the other.

When the trout are biting, they're BITING, but during scratch bites,
you'll know what I'm talking about.

billy b
02-11-2009, 07:37 PM
Gulp garlic & chartreuse baits?

bsp
02-11-2009, 07:57 PM
I agree with the line thing, but thats a different subject. The point I'm trying to get across is that, if two identical rigs are fished in the same
place with two different color powerbait, one color will 80% of the time
outfish the other.

When the trout are biting, they're BITING, but during scratch bites,
you'll know what I'm talking about.

I get what you're saying and I am fairly sure you understand what I am saying. However, I still do not agree with what you are talking about. There are some days when you can toss out two different colors of powerbait on identical rigs, and have both of them catch 0% of the fish while your buddy tossing mini jigs or lip ripperz is killing it.

I know about scratch bites, and the fact is that some days you can toss everything at the fish and still not score a limit in your usually productive area. Then, at the weigh station, some guy comes in with a heavy limit and he was fishing in a different area or was using a slightly different technique.

What I was trying to get across is that it is better to have confidence in what you have and has been effective in the past (assuming that it's appropriate for the species), rather than to obsess yourself with chasing the elusive magic bullet to ensure you never get skunked again. While there are a few lures/baits that are somewhat similar to magic bullets, the Metallic Sardine Flash Minnow 110 is a good example, garlic powerbait probably is not one of them.

billy b: Powerbait Garlic and Chartreuse. I am of the opinion that the gulp is more effective once you get it to stay on the hook.

jim532
02-11-2009, 08:11 PM
I've used the gulp bait a couple times this year and it seems to be more effective than the standard powerbait. Some kid at the lagoon was tossing orange powerbait in the same spot as me and my buddy and he was getting skunked, then we gave him some gulp and he finally landed one after being there for several hours.
I've also noticed powerbait seems to not float for as long a period as it used to.

Bradakas
02-11-2009, 11:00 PM
I've used the gulp bait a couple times this year and it seems to be more effective than the standard powerbait. Some kid at the lagoon was tossing orange powerbait in the same spot as me and my buddy and he was getting skunked, then we gave him some gulp and he finally landed one after being there for several hours.
I've also noticed powerbait seems to not float for as long a period as it used to.

Gulp leaves a HUGE scent trail. I was using the white gulp today and could see the bait just dissipate through the water. I fished my local spot today and got 4 stocker rainbows in about 45 minutes. Alot people where throwing jigs, other colors of powerbait(ahem, garlic..lol), ect, and the majority of them unfortunately got skunked....today was just a "white" PB day. Maybe tommorrow it will be orange? :Secret:

billy b
02-12-2009, 06:34 AM
I never had much luck ... or heard of anybody doing much on red, sherbert, or pink ... a little bit with spring green. It's always been rainbow, green, yellow, and the 3 twists. Recently, peach-salmon has been big. In the fall, Ken's @ Bport said it was number 1.

BUT ... one day 2 guys were bringing down the hammer at GVL when nobody was using pink PB. Heh, heh I happened to have some pink and got into them. I also had a great day o ut in the middle by the aerators using chartreuse chroma-glow. I never had any luck with the c-glows and turbos ... so I stopped using them. I don't know why they don't work.

I do know from talking to Berkley that each type (regular, cglow, turbo, xtra scent, etc) is different, of course. And then the colors vary within the types as we know. The point being that if you're using yellow and I'm using green extra scent ... we're using the same bait ... only difference being color. So, color must make a difference ... at least to them. I was on the shore one day at BBL and the guy next to me was doing better with regular rainbow vs. my extra scent rainbow. Could have been something else he was doing also, besides being a better fisherman (lol)

Nobody's mentioning "Chunky Cheese" Have you tried those at the same time you were successful with white, green, or garlic Gulp? How about Gulp Corn?

jim532
02-12-2009, 08:38 AM
Gulp chunky cheese is what I've used this year, I've only gone after stock trout a couple times and the Gulp has outfished the PB

Skyler
02-12-2009, 08:42 AM
The best PB I have used yet is the Salmon Peach flavor. It's way cheaper than the Gulp, and I limit out almost every time. Just use long leaders (about 4-6 feet).

MAVERICK27
02-12-2009, 10:41 AM
I agree somewhat with both of you...I fished every single weekend for the last 8 months, sometimes more than one day and an occasional weekday. COLOR DOES MATTER ALOT!! I agree that the proper set-up is more important, but so so many things effect what color and why it hits bettter on a given day.

So, perhaps the real answer is this.....there is no magic bait! There are ones that get hot during a particular timeframe and season, but even that will shift to another color or bait. Case in point, I have gone weeekends where Chartreuse catches hands down 80% more fish throughout the fishermen on the lake. There are times when its a very slow bait. So, change it up!!! NEVER think that you have "the bait". I bring about 12 colors of PB, three different scents, a ton of lures, 4 colors of Gulp eggs and nightcrawlers. Sometimes it takes me a while to find the ticket, but I usually find it. CHANGE IT UP!!!

I have had great luck earlier in the season with Garlic PB. I just dont need scent for it. I have had good days on Chart, pink, sherbet, rainbow, green/white, etc. I have caught on chunky cheese, but nothing WFO.

Change presentation and baits! Use plastic worms, if they dont get hit, then wacky rig em or change colors. Add Gulp eggs and scent etc.

So, just be flexible...and you are all right. Everyone fishes a little different!! We ALL have fun :) Of course there are some other things I do that aren't on here ;)

calico killer kevin
02-12-2009, 02:56 PM
I agree somewhat with both of you...I fished every single weekend for the last 8 months, sometimes more than one day and an occasional weekday. COLOR DOES MATTER ALOT!! I agree that the proper set-up is more important, but so so many things effect what color and why it hits bettter on a given day.

So, perhaps the real answer is this.....there is no magic bait! There are ones that get hot during a particular timeframe and season, but even that will shift to another color or bait. Case in point, I have gone weeekends where Chartreuse catches hands down 80% more fish throughout the fishermen on the lake. There are times when its a very slow bait. So, change it up!!! NEVER think that you have "the bait". I bring about 12 colors of PB, three different scents, a ton of lures, 4 colors of Gulp eggs and nightcrawlers. Sometimes it takes me a while to find the ticket, but I usually find it. CHANGE IT UP!!!

I have had great luck earlier in the season with Garlic PB. I just dont need scent for it. I have had good days on Chart, pink, sherbet, rainbow, green/white, etc. I have caught on chunky cheese, but nothing WFO.

Change presentation and baits! Use plastic worms, if they dont get hit, then wacky rig em or change colors. Add Gulp eggs and scent etc.

So, just be flexible...and you are all right. Everyone fishes a little different!! We ALL have fun :) Of course there are some other things I do that aren't on here ;)
Exactly! Thanks.

After powerbait, my most productive lures/baits would be, in this order:
Fresh Roe
Powerworms
Lip Ripperz
Thomas bouyants

billy b
02-14-2009, 01:08 PM
So you've had some luck with sherbert and green/white PB? THe green white is the turbo, right? How about the other turbos ... any luck? What 3 scents do you prefer?