PDA

View Full Version : Recession & Fishing? Gear?

striker
02-06-2009, 11:55 AM
With the economy being in the toilet and thousands of ppl no longer having jobs, how does one justify purchasing fishing equipment and going on those nice long range/2-3 day tuna trips? I've been noticing that the classified section on this board has been seeing a lot action. A lot of folks are selling off rods and reels left and right. So, how has the current economic recession changed your buying of rods, reels, and trips? Thoughts and comments are welcomed.

LateFisher
02-06-2009, 12:13 PM
Don't give up on your life,your family, your country,your god, the economy, and especially fishing !!!!!!!:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

SOUTHPAWSTICK
02-06-2009, 12:52 PM
We need to support the economy by spending money. I will do my part and buy more fishing gear. Its the least I can do. Its a good excuse to buy gear.

DarkShadow
02-06-2009, 01:00 PM
I "lucked" out by purchasing most of my JDM gear before the dollar tanked compared to the Yen. I upgraded all of my gear, and now I don't 'need' anything.

As far as buying smaller stuff goes, I've only justified buying stuff i need, instead of buying stuff i want. Ever since I've gone with that motto, i see my bank account having more money each month. But yes, buying fishing stuff has definitely taken a back seat.

tacklejunkie
02-06-2009, 01:06 PM
Haven't sold anything but haven't bought much besides a few packs of robos here and there. Still sporting some nice gear though at the moment..

Got a small stockpile of unopened LC's, swimbaits, plastics, hooks and weights to last a good while. Actually downsized on a lot of stuff I didn't need. Still fishing at least once a week or more.

HBJapo
02-06-2009, 01:50 PM
Much like DS, I already have everything that I "need". That is where it currently stops though. I am not buying a couple of poles that I "want". They will come in time. Back in the day, I would buy all kinds of stuff that I wanted, but never used half of it. i have since become a bit more of a minimalist, I only buy what I need.

Japo :Envious:

jim532
02-06-2009, 02:49 PM
I seem to have been buying more stuff as of late.
Then When I get home I stash it under my jacket and hide it in the garage so my girlfriend doesn't complain about how much money I've spent.

Ricky-Ray
02-06-2009, 03:39 PM
I seem to have been buying more stuff as of late.
Then When I get home I stash it under my jacket and hide it in the garage so my girlfriend doesn't complain about how much money I've spent.

hahahahaha.... I've been doing the exact same thing. Scored some really good deals on gear.

lurk 182
02-06-2009, 04:06 PM
i'm scaling back for sure, but in my case i think its a good thing. i've got crankbaits that are a year old and have never seen the water. i could spend two years fishing the stuff i've already accumulated trying to figure out what really works. its not the guy with the biggest tackle box, its the right stuff for the situation that works.

sansou
02-06-2009, 04:11 PM
"Need" is such an interesting term when it comes to fishing tackle...

Do I "need" to buy another custom saltwater rod?

Do I "need" to have hundreds of trout spinners, hardbaits and a few dozen rigs strewn over 3 western states and across the continent?

Do I "need" to buy another reel?

Let's just say a little so called "recession" ain't denying the tackle-ho
"needs" in me...:Wink:

sweetfish
02-06-2009, 04:13 PM
I have been buying good quality stuff from other members on this site and happy with. I am also hiding my new gear under my jacket to keep it on the lowside from my wife. Plus the clearance at Wal Mart was a bonus. I do need to stock up on some more gear in the spring when Bass Pro has their specials.

flopps1
02-07-2009, 08:54 PM
The way I see it? If your a tackle ho...economy doesn't matter. Just might take a little longer to get the new gear.

It's an addiction!!!!!

hakaveli
02-07-2009, 10:06 PM
Being a tackle hoe is like drugs but more expensive hahaa

soda818fishnclub
02-07-2009, 10:45 PM
There is alot of gear out there but only a few things I'm ready to spend money on. It's not a lack of cash just keeping my clutter down and spending it on quality. I've still gota buy BEER!

hakaveli
02-07-2009, 10:46 PM
There is alot of gear out there but only a few things I'm ready to spend money on. It's not a lack of cash just keeping my clutter down and spending it on quality. I've still gota buy BEER!

thats right