PDA

View Full Version : crab/lobster fishing in O.C.?

JESSEJAMES
02-06-2009, 02:44 AM
i was wondering if anybody knew any spots in orange county i could use my crab/lobster net... from shore or boat? what bait to use? what time of day?... ive had it for a year and have never used it... pretty much have no idea but would love to learn how to use it...

HESBROS
02-06-2009, 06:32 AM
JJ, The only time to really catch lobster is at night. Most will set hoops just before or at sundown. Then you have morning. Sometimes they crawl really well at sundown, sometimes it is later, maybe midnight, or any time before or after, or all night. As for bait, Mac, Bonito, Sardine (not itty bitty ones), slamon heads (from fish market), or tuna scraps. Try one, try them all, try combonations. You want to use bait that will bleed off a scent in the current to get the lobster to crawl to the net. You also want to figure out which way the current is going, and arrage your hoops from there, so your scent is going towards the structure. Lobster are like most fish, they live in and around structure, such as Jetties, Rocky bottoms, kelp area's etc.
DO NOT FORGET you need a lobster card for each person on the boat while hooping. It is questinable as to weather you can have someone the boat and not have a card for them, even if they are not pulling hoops. And this applies to children too. IMO it would be good to make sure you all have a card, it would suck to get into a good crawl, and not be able to take an extra limit for the person that did not have crad.
Make sure your guage is accurate also, 3.25! Shave a little off to be sure.
Hope this helps.

Eddie

ahhvtec
02-06-2009, 11:08 AM
Rule of thumb, where you find calicos you will find bugs...

HBJapo
02-06-2009, 03:32 PM
I've always had good luck with Mackeral......

Japo :Envious:

hung380
02-06-2009, 04:09 PM
You can get a bunch of rock crabs and small blue crabs at the newport pier @ nite using makerel(sp)?

JESSEJAMES
02-06-2009, 04:52 PM
thanks for the tips guys... cant wait to get my first bugg

kwest10
02-06-2009, 06:17 PM
You can get a bunch of rock crabs and small blue crabs at the newport pier @ nite using makerel(sp)?

really? I've been trying to get the rock crabs. They don't seem to exist in Dana Point. Only the spider crabs.

hung380
02-06-2009, 08:16 PM
really? I've been trying to get the rock crabs. They don't seem to exist in Dana Point. Only the spider crabs.

Yup, at the left corner at the end of the pier. Just drop it straight down near the supports and wait for 15-20 minutes. Those damn things crawl in the net fast. Some of the rock crabs are decent size but many small ones. Havent been crabbing for 3 years so I dont know how it is now. Give it a try and let me know how it goes.