PDA

View Full Version : blue gill

SRHBRO951
02-04-2009, 09:14 PM
what month do blue gill start to bite

fishmounter
02-04-2009, 09:58 PM
Usually in the smaller ponds and park lakes, the 'Gills start getting active in April and May, but sometimes as early as March and about a month later on the larger lakes. Don't forget...some fishermen fish for Bluegills through the ice up north and in the northern states and they do very good! Bluegill bite year round.

PUDD MASTER BAITER
02-05-2009, 07:43 AM
Usally at the pudd in one day, it goes from dead to fish every where. I think because the bass spawn normally first ,it activates the whole lake. Like last year ,there wasnt a fish to be seen, then over night i go back, and bass,pan fish including crappies are every where you can see close to shore.its really strange like some turned on a light switch.

chivo
02-05-2009, 07:52 AM
I'd try late february or early march. Once the waters start to warm up a little bit. The gills will move to shallow bays and inlets or shallower weedbeds. Once there on there 1st movement they will be looking for food, not to spawn. The spawning happens a bit later. But the gills will move in once the water gets warmer and in southern cali it will get warmer sooner than later. And the way the weathers been lately, the water will warm up earlier this year, and so will the gill action. That is my prediction, take it how you may.and good luck hunting for them saucers.

Ifishtoolittle
02-05-2009, 08:40 PM
Anytime! but to be honest just look at the advice above everything is accurate and helpful.

chivo
02-06-2009, 07:13 AM
another tip is to PM Seng, he's killing them

Sebastian323
02-21-2009, 08:54 PM
Usally at the pudd in one day, it goes from dead to fish every where. I think because the bass spawn normally first ,it activates the whole lake. Like last year ,there wasnt a fish to be seen, then over night i go back, and bass,pan fish including crappies are every where you can see close to shore.its really strange like some turned on a light switch.

around when does this happen?

smokehound
02-22-2009, 11:01 AM
they hit spawning mode when the air pressure rises and the temps go up.

But do you really need to catch a spawner>?

They all bite all year in socal. Try fishing during a front moving in, or stormy weather. :)

Skyler
02-23-2009, 03:56 PM
they hit spawning mode when the air pressure rises and the temps go up.

A lot of people think that it's the water temperature that starts the spawning process, but most fish's spawning clock actually goes by the length of the day, and not by the actual temperature, just like a birds' laying cycle. In theory you could make a bass spawn in 50 degree water if the day was long enough (just look at Jenks lake, lol). Each species has a certain length of daylight that engages their spawn, and the spawn pretty much rings in the new year for them. Rainbow trout will be among the first, followed by bass, then bluegill/redear, etc.

But yeah, SRHBRO, once the days get a bit longer the 'gills will start spawning and hanging around the weeds again. Until then, you just need to find the warmer stratified water. This is usually pretty deep this time of year (at least for bluegill). Good luck, and remember colder water=slower 'gills. Find the fish and match your presentation to their mood, and you should do alright.

smokehound
02-23-2009, 04:25 PM
http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/site/accounts/information/Lepomis_macrochirus.html

Spawning occurs when water temps range into 60 to 80 degrees F.

Which is normally the case with a high pressure system.

Largemouth bass breed in similar conditions when sexually mature. Bass can breed in slightly cooler conditions, which is why they appear to activate a sunfish spawn.

Skyler
02-23-2009, 04:59 PM
http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/site/accounts/information/Lepomis_macrochirus.html

Spawning occurs when water temps range into 60 to 80 degrees F.

Which is normally the case with a high pressure system.

Largemouth bass breed in similar conditions when sexually mature. Bass can breed in slightly cooler conditions, which is why they appear to activate a sunfish spawn.

The higher temperatures are usually just a side effect of the length of the day. This is why we have seasons. Like I said, look at jenks lake. The bass up there will start spawning well before the water reaches 60 degrees if the skies are clear. Unsuccesfully I might add, but their internal clock still tells them to start bedding. In all of my bio classes, I've learned that most egg-laying animals spawning clock actually goes by the length of the day, not the temperature. Why do you think salmon return to their home creeks at the same time of year, despite weather? They have a subconcious calendar built into them that is based on the solstices.