PDA

View Full Version : Castaic Swim Bait Question???

shy_boxer
02-04-2009, 08:26 PM
I have a vintage Castaic Bait Company wood trout swimbait. The lure is roughly about 16-18 years old and it cost me a $100.00 back then. Sorry, I can't remember exactly, way too much partying in my younger days. (LMAO) I will post a pic as soon as I can. I also have the baby bass which is numbered!!!

My question is how much is this lure worth today? The lure is in very good condition. It was just so perty to throw.

Thanks in advance. Tight Lines!!!

I posted the pic below!!!

dodoman
02-04-2009, 08:35 PM
is it a t-29?

p.m. sent

Zombie Bass ATTACK
02-04-2009, 08:43 PM
Steve you know more than anyone will tell you they think they know about your custom original chomp baits....DONT SELL IT BRO UNLESS SOMEONE OFFERS YOU 500$ a piece!!!

shy_boxer
02-04-2009, 08:57 PM
Here is the pic!!! These are original first generation Castaic Bait Co. wooden swimbaits. Just beautiful lures!!
16 years old lures!!

dodoman
02-04-2009, 09:10 PM
never seen those before.
could,nt tell ya how much there worth.

p.m. sent

jonshibata
02-04-2009, 09:23 PM
They are worth what someone is willing to pay for them, same as anything else!

Zombie Bass ATTACK
02-04-2009, 09:33 PM
reason why peeps havent seen them cause they are chomps garage castaic very first mode it has castaic written in red pen and clear coated over l!! steve dont sell them actually only if someone offers you something over a g.

dodoman
02-04-2009, 09:38 PM
reason why peeps havent seen them cause they are chomps garage castaic very first mode it has castaic written in red pen and clear coated over l!! steve dont sell them actually only if someone offers you something over a g.

kill that noise. there not worth a G.

Zombie Bass ATTACK
02-04-2009, 09:41 PM
kill that noise. there not worth a G.

haha k go take more pics of your swimbaits and put it as your avatar :ROFL:....sorry your measly offer would not be considered :LOL:

dodoman
02-04-2009, 09:44 PM
what are you, his pimp?

ive already connected him with some one who knows the value of swimbaits.
i never made him an offer.:Envious:

Zombie Bass ATTACK
02-04-2009, 09:45 PM
what are you, his pimp?

ive already connected him with some one who knows the value of swimbaits.
i never made him an offer.:Envious:

im just yanking your chain DOH DOH man

dodoman
02-04-2009, 09:56 PM
its all good.
just trying to help him out, thats all.
if he does decide to sell them, I,LL be the first to make an offer.:Big Grin:

Socal Bassman
02-05-2009, 02:03 AM
Looks like you have the 1st generation. Hard to really tell from the pic. I have one of the 2nd generation and wondered the value of the bait myself. Like you said, "it's just too perty to throw." Mine is in a case hanging on the wall right now.

shy_boxer
02-05-2009, 03:28 AM
Dodoman..thanks for trying to help a brotha out.

Zombie....be nice brotha...lol

Socalbassman...yeah it's first generation. I bought the baits directly from Chomp (co-creator/owner of Castaic Bait Co.) I met the guy at the Goon while he was testing his prototypes out. At first, I thought he was crazy for throwing these massive trout plugs on saltwater gear. Until he stuck a pig on one. After seeing that you know I was sold. I offered him my soul...Lmao...I was such a bass noob back then.

Anybody know what they are worth today? I don't want to sell them. But if I was offered some sick amount I probably would consider it. Puhahaha...no I can't.

Anyone???? Any swimbaits gurus???

shy_boxer
02-05-2009, 03:16 PM
Bump.......I am soo bored!

bsp
02-05-2009, 03:38 PM
The trout and bass have gone on ebay for $150-$200 each in the past year, but I haven't seen any for a while now. There aren't too many of the bass lures floating around, and they are pretty desirable so $200-$250. The trout is more common, so $150 or $200 depending on condition. They are definitely nowhere near $1000 together, maybe $500 if you sell them together, include the boxes, and if the swimbaits are in pristine condition. The problem is that with the recession the value will drop because people won't have the cash to pay up. If you ever want to sell/trade them, I would be very interested.

SOSO
02-05-2009, 03:44 PM
Why don't you use it? You crazy tackle ho.

shy_boxer
02-05-2009, 03:49 PM
Thanks BSP...you are a well versed swimbait angler.

I saw the ones on Ebay...however I didn't find the models that I have. I GOOGLED the whole entire web to find the prices. I did find a website that had a 2006 article that stated that these baits were going for $300-$500(depending on condition). But I don't know how reliable that source is. It was a 2006 article so who knows. Thus my question here.

These baits were the first production or first generation baits. The 2nd or 3rd rendition of these baits came in red boxes. First generation came in cardboard color box. I on the other hand have no box. I bought them directly from Chomp. The trout bait was purchased at the Goon (I begged him to sell me one) and the baby bass was purchased at the Fred Hall show in 1993/1994. I can't remember. But the baby bass is numbered 36A. I don't expect a grand...but my baits are in really good condition. I will keep you in mind if I do decide to sell them. Thanks...Tight Lines!!

shy_boxer
02-05-2009, 03:52 PM
Why don't you use it? You crazy tackle ho.

Are ju Craaa-Jiii mang!! I heard you were on fire at last night ninja mission!!

SOSO
02-05-2009, 03:58 PM
Are ju Craaa-Jiii mang!! I heard you were on fire at last night ninja mission!!

Felt like we were Saltwater fishing on a wide open Sand Bass bite. Lot's of fun.:Cart:

bsp
02-05-2009, 04:07 PM
Thanks BSP...you are a well versed swimbait angler.

I saw the ones on Ebay...however I didn't find the models that I have. I GOOGLED the whole entire web to find the prices. I did find a website that had a 2006 article that stated that these baits were going for $300-$500(depending on condition). But I don't know how reliable that source is. It was a 2006 article so who knows.

These baits were the first production or first generation baits. The 2nd or 3rd rendition of these baits came in red boxes. I on the other hand have no box. I bought them directly from Chomp. The trout bait was purchased at the Goon (I begged him to sell me one) and the baby bass was purchased at the Fred Hall show in 1993/1994. I can't remember. But the baby bass is numbered 36A. I don't expect a grand...but my baits are in really good condition. I will keep you in mind if I do decide to sell them. Thanks...Tight Lines!!

No problem!

That 2006 article was accurate for the time period, but the value has dropped since then because of the influx of swimbaits that exceed or surpass the castaics in terms of quality. They used to be much more desirable because they were the most realistic trout and bass lures on the market. Now, you can get lures from companies like 3:16 that surpass them in terms of realism (3:16 baby bass and Real Deal), are comparable in terms of swimming action, and in addition to being cheaper in price.

http://www.huddlestondeluxe.com/heavyweightbassclassic.html
That link may give you a bit more information, or at least a way to contact people who could help you out more than I have. If you could contact Ken Huddleston, he might be able to help. I'll admit that my prices could be wrong since I am only going off of what I have seen on ebay and heard on other message boards before.

In any case, those lures are collectible pieces of swimbait "history" that you are lucky to own. I am glad to have been of some help. Good Luck!

a biley
02-05-2009, 04:36 PM
you know bassmaster mag has a section on the value of old tackle, maybe ask it there and it might also be printed in the mag!

matt duarte
02-06-2009, 08:33 AM
i would be tossin those all day long! its not like you can loose them they float right? if it breaks off just go swim for it... i toss a 85 $ swimbaits all day and i hope i can swim faster than they sink haha cant be afraid to loose your baits...

shy_boxer
02-09-2009, 09:33 AM
Thanks guys for all the responses! Appreciate the comments!

ZplugJunkie
02-09-2009, 09:25 PM
With original box, anywhere from $300-500.

No box, $150-250.

If they are mint.

The more valuable ones are the ones numbered 1a-10a

Those are easily $400-500+

Good luck if you plan on selling them.

The right people always have the right price for you.

Curtis M
06-11-2017, 05:40 PM
I owned a Kirby Vacuum franchise in the early 90's and did a demo out by Quail Lake, in the Antelope Valley, for a guy (can't remember his name) but he was making these wooden trout baits and selling them for $50 @ pop. i sold him a Kirby and worked in one of the trout pattern baits into the deal. He was always way behind on orders and I could never get it from him. So on one visit he went into the garage and came back with a Bass pattern wooden bait and offered it to me to conclude a deal. He said it was one of his prototypes and it wasn't signed, like I believe all the baits he sold were. It's been in my tackle box every since. I tried it at Pyramid Lake one time, but my gear just wasn't heavy enough to handle it. I'll try to attach a few pics. If the gent who knows someone that could establish a value could send me the fellows info... I'd like to know more about it's potential value. The other 2 vintage lures are just for fun. Not sure why it inverted all teh pics when I loaded them...?

Curtis M
06-11-2017, 05:44 PM
I failed to mention that the guy I sold the Kirby to said his company name was Castaic Bait Co. So I'm sure it was one of the 2 originators of the bait, but I don't know which. Note that the silicon fins all seem to have been crudely cut by hand and the bait is in exactly the same shape and condition that it was handed to me.

Curtis M
06-11-2017, 06:01 PM
Tried the link and it doesn't seem to work. All it says is "Privacy Error" whatever that is.

Wp50
06-28-2018, 08:59 PM
Do you have any of these lures still? The original Castaic swimbaits?