PDA

View Full Version : A "Rod" or a "Pole"

City Dad
02-04-2009, 02:43 PM
It's come to my attention that one of the many reasons folks think I am a ****ing ****head ****er who should just go **** my ****ing **** until I'm ****ing dead is due to my habit of refering to the long, narrow fiberglass or graphite or graphite composite cone with round guides attached to it through which fishing line is run as a "rod" and not a "pole."

Many accuse me of turning my back on my 'shine suckin', porch settin' roots (which I have) but this is not the reason why I referr to the above mentioned piece of equipment in the way that I do.

I was raised with the following as rock-solid truth:

A "pole" is a stick - usually bamboo - to which a line is affixed for use in bait fishing. There are no guides on a pole and there is no reel. Anglers who don't know what they're doing tie the line directly to the "tip" of their "pole." Anglers who know what they're doing tie the line at the bottom of the pole and then run that line to the tip and then tie it off there.

This rig works great for dropping live minows into brush piles for crappie

A "rod" has guides, and a reel which make "casting" possible.

You can fish a "rod" like a "pole" but technically, it's still a "rod"

You can't fish a "pole" like a "rod."

So, that's how I learned it.

And yes, I know that's not you you learned it.

I am sorry if I've made anyone feel looked-down-upon by using the word "rod"... you know, actually, I'm not sorry... ROD, ROD, ROD, ROD, ROD;)

DarkShadow
02-04-2009, 02:51 PM
I prefer callin' them

"Fishin' Sticks"

Cangler
02-04-2009, 03:37 PM
A Rod = Someone who has been invaded by Madona

A Pole = Someone who has been invaded by Germnay

Troutman65
02-04-2009, 03:47 PM
I call my fishing Sticks Rods not Poles

BingJr
02-04-2009, 07:15 PM
Rod.

Poles are what strippers spin around, very useful for sure, but not used in fishing!

Atleast not used in most fishing.

sansou
02-04-2009, 11:09 PM
It don't matter to me.

I farm on either!

Ricky-Ray
02-04-2009, 11:59 PM
Because of PETA I've had to change the name of my gear.

From now on my poles/rods will be referred to as "kitten killers".

GeordyBass
02-05-2009, 01:03 AM
lololol....this is one of the most retarded disputes....who gives a damn of what you call it...if you own it you can call it whatever the hell you want...I'm not bashing on you bro,only to the people who get butthurt of what you'll call it...i call em rods or "sea kitty assasins"...lol...

Nessie Hunter
02-05-2009, 09:08 AM
Trouts or Trout....

Rod or Pole.....

Pants below your arss or above...

Hat or no hat...

Spell check or no spell check...

I guess it just depends on how 'you' wish to come across...
Or if you even care at all, or recognize there is a difference .....