PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday Night Slayage!

fishndrinknsmokin
02-04-2009, 12:14 AM
Got a call from the nephew at 2 to say he was free to fish and told him to come on over and we would head out to SARL. Quick stop for supplies and then we were off to the lake, pulled up at 410 and one person in line so we drove to get a burger and got back at 420 and they had already opened the gates! Looked like luck might be on our side tonight!

Beautiful night, no wind, occasional breeze with the temps in the mid 60's on land. Water was very clear and in the low 60's and the bubble hole was turned off the entire evening. Very light crowd the entire evening as we had our usual spot to ourselves for the entire evening. Started with spring green powerbait on one pole and a power mouse on the other pole. The nephew was hooked up all with powerbait I believe.

We were there probably 30-40 minutes when I got my first tap on the pole and FISH ON! Nice fish, tail walker at 3+ lbs. No more then 30 minutes more, I got bit on the other pole that I had changed to the power mouse combo as well. Fishing was on like this for me most of the night with me landing 7 nice trout.....a couple of lassies and a couple of tailwalkers. Best thing was that the nephew was able to get in the action and fill out our limit by putting 3 good size fish on the stringer. It was way cool because he only had one at 1030 and as we were cleaning up one of his poles goes off, spool f's up and he drags the fish in by hand. I was there to help him net his catch which had to be 3-4 lbs and as I'm netting the fish I yell at him to turn around as his other pole is going off now too! FISH ON again!! Again, a 3#+ tailwalker to end the evening. Double hook up to fill the limit and end the evening.

All fish were caught on the powermouse combo or a straight glow in the dark nitro worm and usually dipped in anise scent. We fished leaders anywhere from 8-24" and caught fish on all. Great night considering it's the last night before the usual stocking.

Liteliner
02-04-2009, 01:50 AM
Nice job on the slayage. The clear water conditions must have got the trout finally out and about. Probably wont last to long though with the rain on the way once again. Thanks for the report and pics. Very nice size fish.

BanginBob
02-04-2009, 06:24 AM
BB on the wire:

Great catch! Glad to see the lake is still productive even after the presidents holiday crowd!
BB

CASTAWAY
02-04-2009, 07:21 AM
Nice... way to go on the 3+ lbs tail walker.....:Thumbs Up:

fishndrinknsmokin
02-04-2009, 08:17 AM
Nice job on the slayage. The clear water conditions must have got the trout finally out and about. Probably wont last to long though with the rain on the way once again. Thanks for the report and pics. Very nice size fish.

Thanks Liteliner! The rain and the thought of stained water was the reason that my nephew and I wanted to get out there before the rain started and ruined what has been a good bite over the last three weeks.

BB on the wire:

Great catch! Glad to see the lake is still productive even after the presidents holiday crowd!
BB

Thanks Bob! Looking forward to the President's weekend stocking of Lightening Trout. If it doesn't rain to hard this weekend, hopefully we'll get a shot a getting a stringer of lightening as well!

Nice... way to go on the 3+ lbs tail walker.....:Thumbs Up:

Hey Casty we were just trying to keep up with the master known as Castaway!!

Poxy Boggards
02-04-2009, 09:47 AM
Nice job out there!

saintarv
02-04-2009, 10:03 AM
Great job Scott! I am so jealous that you can fish during the week. I can't even fish on the weekends now. LOL So "the spot" has been doing well? I need to sneak out on a Friday night. By the way where do you get your glow in the dark nitro worms? Again nice slaying!

fishndrinknsmokin
02-04-2009, 11:45 AM
Thanks Poxy and Saint! It was great fun.

Saint.....unfortunately the only place I've been able to find the glow in dark nitro worms is the SARL bait shop and like everything else they charge up the *** for it. I'm trying to hunt some down on line as this bait has worked for me at SARL consistently last year as well and want to keep it in the tackle box. They have had it at Turner's but they have been out for a while I think. A nice benefit to the worm however is that it's definitely re-usable if it doesn't get too chewed up.

If the rain isn't too bad I'll be doing the overnight next Friday (can you tell I'm single :LOL: ) so maybe I'll see you out there Arv. Outside chance that the nephew and niece and I will do a Vegas run as part of the Anti Valentines Day Club (must be fresh out of a relationship to join :LOL: Still not sure which one I would rather do!

Peace out......FDS

MAVERICK27
02-04-2009, 12:27 PM
Finally! Someone is catching fish at SARL again!! Good for you man! Thansk for sharing and the tips. Glow in the dark worms may be the trick eh? Nice sized fish too!!!!

troutdog
02-04-2009, 01:42 PM
Nicely done! That is a nice batch of fish right there....congrats!

I'm thinking about going tonight before the rains screw it up for the next week. Anyone else?

TD

calico killer kevin
02-04-2009, 02:17 PM
Thanks for the report FDS. Looks like I'll be there sometime soon
to see if I can get into the action.

bigblue
02-04-2009, 02:53 PM
Is the trout bite good after sunset?

fishndrinknsmokin
02-04-2009, 03:55 PM

I'm thinking about going tonight before the rains screw it up for the next week. Anyone else?

TD

Good luck if you head out tonight TD!! I would think it would be a bit better as they will be stocking at some point today/tonight. I was there last Wed as well and was on fire in the same spot using the same set ups. I know a left a few toads in there for ya! :LOL:

Peace out...FDS

fishndrinknsmokin
02-04-2009, 04:04 PM
Is the trout bite good after sunset?

It's been good for me lately but it can be hit and miss.........no different then fishing the day I guess. I only hooked one fish while the sun was still out and the rest under the shimmering moon :LOL: The reason I like to fish the night session is that the lake is not nearly as crowded so you can kind of spread out a bit and not worry about people casting over you and tangling lines. It can still happen of course but much much less then during the day. Not to mention that there is just something about drinking beer around a campfire that makes the beer just a little bit better! :Wink:

Calico Kev........shoot me a pm if you go out and I'll try and meet up with ya. Looking for more excuses.....er, reasons......to fish. :ROFL:

Peace Out....FDS

fishndrinknsmokin
02-04-2009, 04:15 PM
Finally! Someone is catching fish at SARL again!! Good for you man! Thansk for sharing and the tips. Glow in the dark worms may be the trick eh? Nice sized fish too!!!!

Thanks Mav! It's been 3 good trips for me and almost all the fish were on the glow in the dark worms. I thought they were kinda kooky at first but they do seem to catch the fish at SARL. One thing I haven't mentioned yet is that the worms only glow when they have been exposed to light, natural or otherwise, and the longer they are exposed the brighter and longer they glow (to a certain point of course). In order to maximize this I've actually been keep the package of worms in the cup holder of my chair and the flashlight shining on them the entire night. Gives them a nice green glow even after dipped in the scent.......hmmm green like spring green powerbait that works well also........

Peace Out...FDS

BingJr
02-04-2009, 05:49 PM
Great batch of fish, that night fishing looks like some good times.

saintarv
02-04-2009, 06:12 PM

TD

Stop the press! Did I read this right that you are thinking of going to SARL? :Shocked: If I would have known earlier I would of called sick and meet you there. :ROFL: