PDA

View Full Version : Duct Trout

yolo
02-03-2009, 02:29 PM
Bet that got your attention. Well it is true sort of. I went out to the duct today since I didn't go to work. Hit up only Ave S and walked for a good mile each way throwing the Trap, 4" swimmy and a Rapala jerk bait. No takers and I even walked way in to where the birds were hanging out. The birds did not signal jack ,lol. The only fish sighting I had was some jerk off leaving a filleted trout under the Ave S bridge. It probably came form the Fin And Feather down the road with whoever caught it. My guess is that they didn't want the mess at home and filleted it right there.

I worked a lot of duct today and more than I usually would and still got the big skunk. Well at least it was a beautiful day and got some exercise out of it. Attached are the pics of the trout and the birds. Wish I had a striper pic to post but I don't.

Lipripper93561
02-03-2009, 03:05 PM
You got my attention, back in 95 Wolomes lake drained all its fish into the ducts and canals, for about two weeks by buddy and I ripped 4-5lb trout on whole chovies, we had to used braid to bring them up the sides of the canals.

cutbait
02-03-2009, 04:29 PM
Someone needs to retake "fish cleaning 101"..

trail blazer
02-03-2009, 04:46 PM
The trout was more likely used for bait,,CUTBAIT!!!!

WJC71
02-03-2009, 04:48 PM
Yep, them stripeys sure love the trucha

yolo
02-03-2009, 05:01 PM
What a waste of a nice trout if that is the case? If bait and wait is your thing, you really can't beat chicken liver in the duct? If it was used for bait, I hope they got skunked?

Mixtli72
02-03-2009, 05:06 PM
Yolo, I've been thinking about trying the ducts but don't know where to go. Could you help out? I'm in Ontario, anything close there?
Thanks!

yolo
02-03-2009, 06:03 PM
Mixtli72,

You can get to the duct via I-15 north and exit 138 and head west towards Palmdale. You can hit the duct in Phelan west all the way to Palmdale. There are numerous access spots where roads cross the duct. best is to look on google maps and plan a route. Depending on how far you want to go from home will determine what spots to hit. I have never fished east of Littlerock in the duct so I can't offer any advice there but Phelan area is closest to you. In Palmdale, you can start at Cheseboro Rd and west wherever a road crosses the duct. There is no best spot. Stripers are always moving and you never know where they will be.

fishfinder
02-03-2009, 06:50 PM
Any-one here old enough to remember back when they used to stock the aquaduct in little rock with trout?

yolo
02-03-2009, 07:04 PM
Any-one here old enough to remember back when they used to stock the aquaduct in little rock with trout?

That's the first I have ever heard of that. Must be 20 years or more ago because that's how long I have been fishing it and never recall it being stocked with trout.

fishfinder
02-03-2009, 07:37 PM
That's the first I have ever heard of that. Must be 20 years or more ago because that's how long I have been fishing it and never recall it being stocked with trout.

it was a long time ago, and i was 100% sure back then, but it's been a long time now, and was wondering if any-one else ever heard this. i think i read it many times in the valley news (now called the daily news) could have been pearblossum.\ they were stocked in.

Mister Twister
02-03-2009, 10:25 PM
The trout was more likely used for bait,,CUTBAIT!!!!Twenty years ago at Legg Lake these clowns were using only trout bellys cut 1/4'' wide 1'' long. trout on every cast.Jigging it like a trout worm, they knew what they were doing, they worked as deck hands here locally.

StriperEye
02-03-2009, 11:24 PM
Sorry for the skunk Yolo, But so nice to be out anyways I guess..theres always next time!