PDA

View Full Version : Not So Super East Beach

Brewfish
02-02-2009, 09:35 PM
I hit up East Beach in Santa Barbara on Super Sunday morning. Started at 7:00 AM and fished until 8:30 AM. Tide was a bit too low and definitely too slack. But the surf was flat and the water crystal clear. Standing in 3 feet of water, I could see hermit crabs in their borrowed shells walking along the bottom!

Fished the LC Metallic Sardine exclusively.

To make a boring story short, I got one fish: an 18" smelt. The thing looked like a mackerel in the water. It even pulled some drag. Definitely the biggest smelt I've ever caught. The good news: a personal best. The bad news: who cares?

No other strikes or signs of life. There was some bait in the water, but that was it.

Hopefully it will be uphill from here as the days grow longer.

Take care,

Brewfish

Wingnut
02-02-2009, 10:06 PM
East Beach is funny... sometimes, perfect conditions with lots of baitfish and not a bite. Then on a crappy tide, rough condition and void of baitfish... they are stacked up. Gotta know how to fish that stretch to get the most out of it. :Wink: Thanks for the update on one of my favorite areas. :Cool:

Fishmaster B
02-03-2009, 09:18 AM
Conditions look clear ahead of this storm, i can see east beach from my office. I have fished it a few times in the past few days. No halis of size yet, but there has been a lot of activity in the water. The perch fishing is still pretty hot for those willing to give it a shot.