PDA

View Full Version : Lake Mead, Boulder and Hemenway

seal
02-02-2009, 09:05 PM
Took off to Henderson Nv to see my striperholic friend for Superbowl weekend. Have made this an annual trip for a few days of fishing/float tubing Lake Mead and Superbowl festivities.

We wanted the big ole stripers but also were in desperate need of some meat.

We tubed both Hemenway and Boulder areas. On Friday there was a trout plant at both areas. Fished many different trout immitation hard and soft baits and also rattletraps. I was also trying to get one to bust on a pencil popper. Swimbait bite was tough this year. My buddy was able to get one on a rattletrap about 1 1/2 lbs. We saw one caught on a plug at Hemenway that went about 15 lbs.
On Friday afternoon we tubed across Boulder and bait fished (chovies) from shore for a couple hours. We got a lot of bites and I think brought home 2 in the 2 lbs range.

My buddies wife insited we fish on Saturday due to her having to get ready from the Superbowl party, oh darn! We tubed back to the point where we caught a couple and bait fished till about 1:00pm. We got into a real good bite and ended up with 15 fish with a total weight of 36 1/2 lbs, up to almost 4 lbs..

When we got to the fillet station there was a guide and some other guys filleting there catch, they caught like 65 stripers but they were all under 12 inches except for one. Our fish were all over 2 lbs except for 3 that went about 1 1/2 lbs.. Guess we got into the better school.

Freezer now full, had bbq'd stripers for dinner tonight!

steve092
02-02-2009, 09:22 PM
Nice work gettin' on some (a lot) of stripers!

DCCTrouserTrout
02-03-2009, 06:55 AM
Nice work out there...

LateFisher
02-06-2009, 03:01 PM
WAY TO GO !!!!! I'M GOING TO VISIT MY SON THE WEEKEND OF FEB. 20th HE LIVES IN HENDERSON. I PLAN ON TAKEING MY BOAT WHAT WOULD YOU SUGGEST. I DON'T KNOW IF THEY ALLOW YOU TO TROLL WITH AN UMBRELLA RIG ONLAKE MEAD I WAS THINKING OF GIVEING IT A TRY. THANKS JOHN

seal
02-06-2009, 08:56 PM
WAY TO GO !!!!! I'M GOING TO VISIT MY SON THE WEEKEND OF FEB. 20th HE LIVES IN HENDERSON. I PLAN ON TAKEING MY BOAT WHAT WOULD YOU SUGGEST. I DON'T KNOW IF THEY ALLOW YOU TO TROLL WITH AN UMBRELLA RIG ONLAKE MEAD I WAS THINKING OF GIVEING IT A TRY. THANKS JOHN

Umbrella rig, sorry not sure? Probably need to review Nevada Fish and Game site. We had better fish in Boulder, but with a boat I would try around the bouy lines of Hemenway. Bigger fish seem to come out of there. I also heard good reports about Crawdad cove, all these spots get a trout plant on Friday mornings, so working a big ole rainbow bait would be a real good idea for a couple days following the plants.

Good Luck!

victor101
02-08-2009, 08:26 AM
Ok, so ive fished lake mead a few times since i moved to vegas 2 years ago. All ive been able to catch are some 3" stripers. Im limited to shore fishing. Any suggestions?

seal
02-08-2009, 09:42 AM
Ok, so ive fished lake mead a few times since i moved to vegas 2 years ago. All ive been able to catch are some 3" stripers. Im limited to shore fishing. Any suggestions?

Bait fishing from shore. Hit Bouder (old Marina area) and walk to the left of the boat dock. Go all the way down to the point just before the larger cove. Fish from that point.

LateFisher
02-09-2009, 11:01 AM
umbrella rig, sorry not sure? Probably need to review nevada fish and game site. We had better fish in boulder, but with a boat i would try around the bouy lines of hemenway. Bigger fish seem to come out of there. I also heard good reports about crawdad cove, all these spots get a trout plant on friday mornings, so working a big ole rainbow bait would be a real good idea for a couple days following the plants.

Good luck!

thanks for the reply, seal, i'll probably stop @ lakers plaza bait shop just before you come to the lake. They are very helpful there and should be able to answer the question about umbrella rigs. They also have a great selection of baits and goods you may need. Thanks again john

seal
02-16-2009, 08:09 PM
thanks for the reply, seal, i'll probably stop @ lakers plaza bait shop just before you come to the lake. They are very helpful there and should be able to answer the question about umbrella rigs. They also have a great selection of baits and goods you may need. Thanks again john

I always stop by 'Laker's Plaza' when out there. You may want to hit Sportsman's Wherehouse out there now, much better prices than Laker's and decent supply.