PDA

View Full Version : Interested in Ocean Kayaks

GARYC
02-02-2009, 02:38 PM
I'm interested in getting an ocean fishing Kayak. Will mostly use it at Channel Islands Harbor, jetties area, etc. Maybe even Leo Carillo (if I get good/brave enough to go out there alone) I don't have any friends to go out with, so will be loading and unloading it by myself. I'm seeking any helpful info in these area's and first type of Kayak to get. I'm also, going to take a kayak lesson first I have NEVER been in one!
Thank you for your time.
Gary

PS. It won't be anytime real soon to buy one. And when the time comes I want the best and cheapest for starter kayak. haha

kgselect
02-02-2009, 04:29 PM
I have an Ocean Kayak, Malibu 2. I first used a Malibu 2 in Kailua Beach, Oahu. My son & I rented the kayak, launched it off the beach & paddled to an island about 1/2 mile out. The conditions were moderately choppy with a trade wind of about 15-20mph. I was impressed with the kayak's stability and maneuverability. I never felt like we would tip over on the water. One note, there are a lot of kayak rentals out there at Kailua Beach & 95% of those are Ocean Kayaks. They rent Ocean Kayaks at King Harbor also. Maybe that says something about their ruggedness, safety and ease of use. Hope this helps.

calico killer kevin
02-02-2009, 04:54 PM
Solid, but I would much rather go with a Wilderness Systems Tarpon,
Cobra, or Malibu Kayak for fishing. For recreatoin(just paddling), Ocean
kayaks would be fine.

Darius
02-02-2009, 07:02 PM
highly reccommend ocean kayak's! i have one for sell, check it out at the classifieds.

Kimochou
02-03-2009, 03:38 PM
I have an Ocean Kayak, Malibu 2. I first used a Malibu 2 in Kailua Beach, Oahu. My son & I rented the kayak, launched it off the beach & paddled to an island about 1/2 mile out. The conditions were moderately choppy with a trade wind of about 15-20mph. I was impressed with the kayak's stability and maneuverability. I never felt like we would tip over on the water. One note, there are a lot of kayak rentals out there at Kailua Beach & 95% of those are Ocean Kayaks. They rent Ocean Kayaks at King Harbor also. Maybe that says something about their ruggedness, safety and ease of use. Hope this helps.

I agree with the Malibu 2 recommendation. I bought a Malibu 2 XL when I lived in Hawaii. (Big Island). It is not as fast as some of the Ocean Kayaks that get fished alot (Prowler, Scupper etc.) but it is super stable. I'm 6 feet 250 and I could sit sideways and fish from the Malibu 2. A little tiring for a day of trolling but I've done 10+ mile days with it. Make sure to get good accessories and a nice backrest. Good luck.

Kimochou
02-03-2009, 03:43 PM
I forgot - get a bright color. It will be easier to spot just in case you ever need a rescue. The dealer that sold me mine suggested this. And no, it wasn't because he had all bright colors.

mg2969
02-03-2009, 10:21 PM
Love the kayak, hate the company

camman
02-04-2009, 09:44 AM
I agree that Ocean Kayaks are solid yaks to fish on. I have a couple of them right now...The prowler 13 and the Prowler trident, and I love both of them. I've owned the usual Malibu Kayaks Pro Ex as well as the Extreme, both were the crappiest POS I have ever owned. The hull design on both of them is horrible, I don't think they have redesigned it though the Mini X13 has a better design like the prowler series. Cobra's are better than Malibus. I've owned the maruader and FND, both are good and the FND is a beast but a tough paddler.

Wilderness systems have probably the best design and features and will probably be my next purchase. Though if its your first yak you might want to watch out since the profile is narrower than the other models making it a bit more "tippy" at first.

Personally I would recommend the Prowler 13...Its fairly easy to load and unload and stable. They have the angler editions or just add some rod holders of your own. Some of the newer yaks geared towards fishing have like 6 rod holders built in. I think this is way overkill. I usually bring out 3 rods and maybe a gaff. I have two rod holders mounted behind the seat and one up front. Also make sure you tether everything down. I've seen some very experienced kayakers tip and lose all their set ups since they never tip. Also wear a life vest always.

Also the most common OK you see is the scrambler and maybe an older scupper pro. I would stay away from these two models since they arent really effective fishing platforms.

Ricky-Ray
02-05-2009, 01:48 AM
If you get a chance check out the kayak's at the Fred Hall Show in March. Pretty much all the manufacturer's/vendors will be there.

tpfishnfool
02-08-2009, 12:18 PM
Malibu X Factor . 1 and done...

greg
02-08-2009, 09:44 PM
How about the Hobies with a mirage drive? I like the idea of hands free mobility. How is it fishing?

92yj
02-08-2009, 10:03 PM
PS. It won't be anytime real soon to buy one. And when the time comes I want the best and cheapest for starter kayak. haha[/QUOTE]

go to south winds, in nph. they teach yak fishing, also a lot of info on the safe ways to do things. oh and they have several different types of yaks, so you can see what you like. i bought a pelican it is the best deal for the price.

http://www.pelicansport.com/

i like the castaway.

Fastfish
02-09-2009, 10:46 AM
Go to Southwind Kayak Center and do multiple Demos I like the Hobie's both me & my wife fish out of Hobie's & we bought them from these very nice people also go to the Fred Hall Show @ Long Beach in about 4 weeks all the manufactures will be there also Hobie is releasing a new fishing model mirage drive boat sometime very soon over on the Hobie board they say the end of March is when this will release I love my Outback for the fishing I do and my wife is crazy about her Revolution the folks @ Southwind are very informative here's a link to them.

http://www.southwindkayaks.com/demos.html

Fastfish

BIGRED KILLA
02-09-2009, 10:54 AM
How about the Hobies with a mirage drive? I like the idea of hands free mobility. How is it fishing?

I want to get a Hobie with the mirage drive i want to upgrade from my Wilderness but i want to get a used Hobie on Craigs list or the paper too much for me new.

Bigred

Kareem Korn
02-09-2009, 11:56 AM
I can vouch for the Malibu's. I have an X-factor that is super stable, a mini-x that is turning out to be my favorate, it's stable, light and fits in the bed of my truck. A cobra explorer, my first kayak and now my son's. Due to both shoulders having torn rotator cuffs, I'm thinking of selling all and getting a hobie peddle kayak. They are very pricey tho.