PDA

View Full Version : ? for you plastic wormers

billy b
02-02-2009, 01:34 PM
I ran across an old Lip Ripperz blurb showing what a plastic worm might look like all hooked up. And it gave me a question of two.

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?p=301538#post301538

1. It looks like in the picture that the line may be threaded all the way from the top/front of the worm down to where you see it. Or do you normally enter the hook partially up from the bottow like it shows?

2. I know there's a "wacky rigging" that is where you put the hook right in the middle?

Do you prefer one over the other?

Thanks in advance

MAVERICK27
02-02-2009, 02:15 PM
Wow, you opened a can O worms hahaha. everyone is different. I only wacky rig mine if the regular through the nose method isnt biting. Some people are different. My best advice would be for you to have both ways as an option and play with different set-ups under different conditions and see what you can get to bite. The bottom line with trout fishing is..change a lot of things up and be FLEXIBLE. Try one method, if you arent getting good results, change location, bait, rigging and retrieve methods. Every day, every spot is different!!! "change it up"

a biley
02-02-2009, 07:04 PM
Wow, you opened a can O worms hahaha. everyone is different. I only wacky rig mine if the regular through the nose method isnt biting. Some people are different. My best advice would be for you to have both ways as an option and play with different set-ups under different conditions and see what you can get to bite. The bottom line with trout fishing is..change a lot of things up and be FLEXIBLE. Try one method, if you arent getting good results, change location, bait, rigging and retrieve methods. Every day, every spot is different!!! "change it up"

When I fish trout and use trout worms, that's the way I rig them; thread it nearly 1/3 down. eliminates short bites. Since I've been doing that, I miss way less trout. I also wacky rig too.

bsp
02-02-2009, 08:02 PM
Wacky rigging is ince, but I agree with maverick27 and a_biley in that threading the worm is my first choice. I really prefer the old style lip ripperz for this because IMO they are a lot more buoyant. The new ones are nice on the drophot, but aren't as nice as the old ones on a split shot rig.

samgann93
02-02-2009, 09:19 PM
try both out. see what you are comfortable with.

calico killer kevin
02-02-2009, 10:20 PM
Dropshot all trout worms.
Then split shot.
For dropshot I always start with threading, but lately I have done so well on the wacky that I might change it up. Same for split shot.

billy b
02-03-2009, 05:56 PM
You guys don't start at the end of the worm and work down ... but rather, come in at a lower point in the worm (1/3 of the way down) and go in there and then right out? It appeared in the picture like they were threading it all the way down.

Thanks for the 411.

bsp
02-03-2009, 06:15 PM
I don't know about the others, but I think that most of us start at the top of the worm and push the hook the body and out near the back aka "threading."

billy b
02-04-2009, 09:53 AM
Glad you posted that. I've looked at the picture more than once ... but never noticed that it looked like the hook was threaded all the way down to the last 1/3 or so ... beginning at the top ... instead of coming in part of the way down.

billy b
02-07-2009, 07:15 AM
shank? They're called something like Carlisle ... but my memory is shot.

calico killer kevin
02-07-2009, 11:37 AM
shank? They're called something like Carlisle ... but my memory is shot.
I think you're talking about the "aberdeen" style hooks. For my trout worming
of finesse worming techniques, I would not recommend it because it would
kill the action of the worm a little bit. For nightcrawlers yes, plastic worms,
no