PDA

View Full Version : Giant Bass in PVR?

Lunker1979
02-02-2009, 09:27 AM
I ran in to a local last year at the opener in June Lake. He was telling me stories about Bass in PVR......anyone heard of that or had any success? Not just Bass, GIANT bass. I guess if they are in there they could get big chasing all the trout around. I use tons of Rapalas in PVR but have yet to hook any Bass........I think he was full of it. Anyone have the 411??

Sierra_Smitty
02-02-2009, 10:56 AM
There are LMB in PVR, at least according to the DFG.

I've never caught one though and I've never seen or heard of anyone actually catching one, let alone catching a lunker.....so I don't know. I've seen them to 3lbs in the Owens River so one would think that if there are bass in there, there has to be a few big ones.

It would be very hard to fish bass there because even if you're throwing bass baits you'd end up catching a bunch of Browns.

tacklejunkie
02-02-2009, 11:13 AM
Wait for spawn and look in the shallows. That should tell you if there is bass in there. If there is, I don't see why there wouldn't be some lunkers eating trout other than it might get cooler up there than here and the bass might grow slower/smaller. There's some fat hard fighting trout in there too, to give any bass a run for their money.

TroutOnly
02-02-2009, 01:19 PM
Theres bass in there ive caught them inn the past along with the perch and once in a great while a nice brookie,i think they love all the craw dads they get to eat...

camman
02-02-2009, 02:21 PM
I was up there 3 years ago and my buddy pulled a bass out of PVR. The thing was probably a pound or so, not big but very dark in color. If I recall it hit a crawler or something.

inthroughtheocean
02-08-2009, 12:50 PM
every time i fish w/ my float tube there ive caught bass. usually trolling. i might be wrong but they've looked more like smallmb than largemb

baadfish69
02-08-2009, 02:11 PM
A few years ago I caught a 7 lb.....yes 7 lb Largemouth, out of the Owens River. It was somewhere near the warm springs. We were trekking the river and noticed a pool with fish in it.....but they were not trout! Everytime I cast into the pool, it looked as if the big fish were attacking just to keep anything away from their lil ones. I have a picture, but Ill have to find it and scan it. A guy at Culvers said he'd never heard of a LMB that size being caught in the river. :D

lurk 182
02-08-2009, 02:28 PM
i think its probably true. people have caught them so you know they're in there. with that much food and still a pretty long growing (warm) season, some of those fish have the genetics to get big. even in a cold winter, one stocker a week would be all a big fish would need to get by. have you seen the smallies they catch at Pardee and other places that are way further north?

surfnfish
02-08-2009, 05:31 PM
have you seen the smallies they catch at Pardee and other places that are way further north? but those are smallies. They are cold water fish. My cousins live on Vancouver Island and get smallies every spring up to seven pounds. Its hard to compare the two in terms of habitats. However there are definately nice largies in PVR and the lower owens. I've never caught one personally but I have seen them caught.

Eat Sleep Fish
02-09-2009, 02:01 PM
Caught a 3.75 pound LMB at PVR about 4 years ago. dead smack in the middle of the lake on a panther martin with a worm trailer. 4 pound line, heck of a fight, he was deep too, very dark colored fish for being a LMB. also, ive caught a few over the years out of the owens, more towards big pine/lone pine. biggest one ive caught out of the river was about 2.5 lbs.

inthroughtheocean
02-11-2009, 07:51 PM
yea, ive also caught a few on the owens. last time i was there the last fish i caught was a lmb right below tinemaha.

bsp
02-11-2009, 08:01 PM
It would be very hard to fish bass there because even if you're throwing bass baits you'd end up catching a bunch of Browns.

So I take it the browns aren't scared of 15lb line and big swimbaits, or are you talking about 8lb line and big jerkbaits?

Sierra_Smitty
02-11-2009, 08:05 PM
So I take it the browns aren't scared of 15lb line and big swimbaits, or are you talking about 8lb line and big jerkbaits?

A big brown wouldn't be scared of either.

Eat Sleep Fish
02-11-2009, 08:58 PM
A big brown wouldn't be scared of either.

A big brown wouldn't be scared of a bass lol