PDA

View Full Version : Rough outing at Corona Lake (2-1)

KaliDawgFan
02-02-2009, 07:17 AM
This report actually starts out Saturday. I was going through a drawer and came across a BPS gift card that my aunt gave me two Christmases ago. Sweet! I was at Bass Pro about an hour later. This nice 7' light-action BPS trout rod caught my attention as did a Pflueger reel. After about a half hour in the store I made up my mind on those two things and got them. On the way home I was wondering where I wanted to go Sunday to break them in? Corona Lake sounded like a good idea. My thinking was that the lakes would be empty because everyone would be staying home for the Super Bowl. Boy was I wrong. I got to the lake at 4 am and was only the sixth car back, but by the time the gates opened there was a long line of cars. I figured with the warmer weather the trout would be deeper so I headed over to the dam. Not two minutes after I throw my poles out up comes Poxy Boggards and one_leg. They set up to my immediate right. The bite was pretty slow the whole morning. Each of us got a couple of hits. One_leg managed to hook a coot that was safely released. By about 10:30ish they decide to get a boat, and I went looking for another shore spot. I found this small stretch that was open about 100 yards to the left of the boat dock and set up. I don't think my first cast hit the bottom before something hit it, but it didn't take the offering. I toss my new rod/reel combo out second and didn't like the cast so I start reeling it back in. Then it got snagged on something in the water and *SNAP*, my brand new rod snaps. The 2# Berkley Vanish held up though. Of course I was pissed, and after no bites for the next half hour or so I decide to pack it in. It's been a while since I was skunked at Corona. From what everyone on the shore told me it was rough all around.

fishndrinknsmokin
02-02-2009, 07:36 AM
Sorry about the skunk but really sorry that your brand new pole that snapped. That really sucks but at least you still have the new reel to play with! Better luck next and tight lines!

Peace out.........FDS

Poxy Boggards
02-02-2009, 10:33 AM
Hey Ryan,

Sorry the fishing did not improve for you after the move. Huge Bummer about the new rod. That rod sure was nice looking. You should take that bad boy back, and get BPS to replace it!

We ended up doing pretty well in the afternoon with a fish about every 30 minutes. You should have come out with us! Our bigest fish was a 3 1/2# Tailwalker with the ruby red meat.

Nice fishing with you! Hope your next outing is more successful!

olfishergal
02-02-2009, 10:44 AM
you use a rod one time and it snaps!!! Take it back, it had to have a flaw in it......at least you were out......shoulda gone fishing with me lol.....I got Sculpin, but no butts. OFG

KaliDawgFan
02-02-2009, 11:17 AM
No kidding...As I was leaving the lake I thought," I should've gone to the ocean with Chris instead."

Glad to hear you got on the fish Wes. Was it where everyone else was?

I called BPS earlier and they said to just bring what's left back in with the receipt and they'll replace it. So that cheered me up a bit.

Mondo21
02-02-2009, 11:49 AM
Nice of BPS to replace the rod. Better luck next time. Cindy:Big Grin:

MAVERICK27
02-02-2009, 12:01 PM
Sorry about the skunk, we all have those days. Hopefully you can return your rod and catch a lloyd on it next time to make up for the drive!!!

Poxy Boggards
02-02-2009, 12:53 PM
Yup, they were on the other side of the lake for sure.

boxl0bster
02-03-2009, 07:02 AM
sorry about the slow day ryan, next time you head out to corona give me a call. ill split a boat with ya if you like. good thing you had the receipt still for the rod. as long as you have that and since its only the day after you bought it, i dont see any problem with them replacing it. i think i have the rod youre talking about. does it have gold reel clamps? :Smile: better luck next time! lets hit the salt again soon.

-Ernie

BanginBob
02-03-2009, 07:17 PM
BB on the wire;

WOW I know how it feels to snap a nice rod! I personally have gone to kencors and Ive seem to be lucky so far

Glad to hear you got your rod replaced

BB

KaliDawgFan
02-04-2009, 11:05 AM
i think i have the rod youre talking about. does it have gold reel clamps? :Smile: better luck next time! lets hit the salt again soon.

-Ernie

Yep, that's the rod that broke. I was debating going back to the salt this weekend.

I personally have gone to kencors and Ive seem to be lucky so far

BB

I have a couple of Kencors also, but I figured the rod would be of great quality with Bass Pro's name on it. It was on sale and everything so I decided to give it a shot. I probably just got unlucky with that specific one.