PDA

View Full Version : Some sort of asian egg roll? Help?

baadfish69
02-01-2009, 09:07 PM
A long time ago I had this fishing buddy who was from Cambodia. We stopped by his moms house on the way to the lake, because he wanted to pick up some of his moms egg rolls. Being they are from Cambodia, I just assumed they were a Cambodian recipe, but I dont know. Ive been craving them for years.....but lost touch with my friend.

Anyways, what they were was just like egg rolls, a bit smaller than normal, and all they had in them was like ground sausage or something like that. I do not believe there were any veggies in them at all. Now, I can figure out how to make an eggroll with just sausage in it, but they in no way would taste or smell like his moms. They had a very good smell (authentic, but almost the smell of a Filipino dish) and I swear I could eat a dozen of them.

I wish I could describe the smell over a messageboard but I cant. Im hoping though, that somebody here may know what I am talking about!

Any help would be appreciated....

Thx

yamafish
02-01-2009, 09:47 PM
Could it be a Filipino / Shaghai Lumpia?
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h92/rfish7/lumpia-1.jpg I've eaten a Boat load of these things.. ! Just can't stop eatin' em...

baadfish69
02-02-2009, 01:00 AM
Wow...thanks Yama....

From the pic, and what Ive read about Lumpia.....it seems like its possible thats what Im talking about. From your experiences, are they more meaty inside than egg rolls? Where do you get yours from.....I mean.....do you know how to make them?

:)

yamafish
02-02-2009, 05:47 AM
BaadFish,
I honestly don't know if these are the same thing you are looking for.
I am not Filipino, nor do I know how to make these Delicious Treats...
This in my experience, they are mosty filled with with meats only. They are also smaller than the size of an large egg roll.

I used to phone in an order to have ready to take home..
I have not been there in ages..
Manila Good Ha Inc.

900 E Colorado St
Glendale, CA 91205

A recipe I found OnLine
Lumpia Shanghai Ingredients:

http://www.pinoyrecipe.net/wp-content/plugins/nextgen-gallery/nggshow.php?pid=66&width=180&height=240&mode= (http://www.pinoyrecipe.net/wp-content/gallery/pics-for-post/shanghai.jpg)
1 pound ground pork
of 1 pound groud beef
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 carrot, grated
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
1 1/2 tablespoons garlic powder
2 tablespoons salt
1 (16 ounce) package spring roll wrappers
1 1/2 quarts oil for frying
Lumpia Shanghai Instructions:

In a Large bowl, combine ground pork, ground beef, onion, and carrot. Make sure to completely mix everything. I suggest getting down and dirty and use your hands. Knead the meat in the bowl if you must.

Gradually blend in the soy sauce , black pepper, garlic powder, and salt until all ingredients are evenly distributed.
Lay out a few wrappers at a time on a flat surface, and place about 2 tablespoons of the filling in a line down the center of the wrapper. Make sure the filling is no thicker than your thumb, or the wrapper will cook faster than the meat.

Take the bottom and top edges of the wrapper and fold them towards the center. Take the left and right sides, and fold them towards the center. Moisten the last edge of the wrapper to seal. Now repeat using the rest of the wrappers, and have hubby or the kids help you out.
Heat the oil in a deep fryer or heavy skillet to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Fry 3 or 4 lumpia at a time. Fry for about 3 or 4 minutes, turning once. Lumpia are cooked through when they float, and the wrapper is golden brown.

Cut in half, or serve as is with dipping sauce. We like sweet and sour sauce, soy sauce with lemon, or banana ketchup.
Hope your this helps,

Rodger - YamaFish - "YamaEggRoll"... :Smile:

baadfish69
02-02-2009, 12:47 PM
Awesome Yama! Thanks so much for the info. I think you nailed it...so Ill run with it. I think Ill even have the ol lady try that recipe....looks yummy.

kpn
02-02-2009, 02:24 PM
Here you go. Vietnamese Chicken Roll.

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?t=16359

KPN.

baadfish69
02-02-2009, 03:34 PM

KPN.

Nice! Those look good too! Thanks for the info!

sansou
02-02-2009, 04:50 PM
Hey Baadfish,

Your other option if you don't want to do it from scratch is to locate a philipino influenced supermarket (down in SD, that would be Seafood City in Manila Mesa among others).

They have bags of frozen lumpia of differing types. All you have to do is drop them in hot peanut oil.

GeordyBass
02-02-2009, 07:32 PM

KPN.kpn....you make the best egg rolls i've ever eaten!!!!damn those are excellent and those pics made my mouth water....a lot!!!

Damn it Khanh,your gonna need to have em' ready by 9pm...:Twisted::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

baadfish69
02-02-2009, 10:50 PM
Hey Baadfish,

Your other option if you don't want to do it from scratch is to locate a philipino influenced supermarket (down in SD, that would be Seafood City in Manila Mesa among others).

They have bags of frozen lumpia of differing types. All you have to do is drop them in hot peanut oil.

Well, I tried to locate one using the web, but here in the I.E., there doesnt seem to be anything as far as markets go. My parents are coming from AZ in a few weeks to vacation in SD, so I think when I go visit them there, I just might look for that market. Thanks for the heads up!

yamafish
02-02-2009, 10:57 PM
baadfish- Try: 99 Ranch Market as well

KPN - Those rolls look amazing..:Smile: Those things are making me hungry! Nice!
I'm going to have to try this one someday!
Thanks for the very informative post..
Off to eat something.. Not as good as those eggrolls... :Twisted:

baadfish69
02-03-2009, 12:43 AM
baadfish- Try: 99 Ranch Market as well

KPN - Those rolls look amazing..:Smile: Those things are making me hungry! Nice!
I'm going to have to try this one someday!
Thanks for the very informative post..
Off to eat something.. Not as good as those eggrolls... :Twisted:

What is it with Riverside that I have yet to see an Asian market? Or have I just not been looking? Anyhow, thanks for the market tip.....I searched their website and found that they have a market in Chino Hills which is only about a 20 minute drive for me. Heck, I can spend that much time in traffic driving from one side of Riverside to the other. I will definitely be checking them out....thanks again!!!

boxl0bster
02-03-2009, 07:50 AM
yes ! lumpia rocks. haha. yeah give 99 ranch a try. i think ive seen some frozen ones there in the freezer section. all you gotta do is fry them up. dont know how good they are though.

sansou
02-03-2009, 08:07 AM
Well, I tried to locate one using the web, but here in the I.E., there doesnt seem to be anything as far as markets go. My parents are coming from AZ in a few weeks to vacation in SD, so I think when I go visit them there, I just might look for that market. Thanks for the heads up!

If your parents live in Phoenix, have them go to Lee Lee's Market on the corner of Dobson & Warner in Chandler. They'll have the vietnamese style egg rolls frozen in a bag, I'm not sure if they have lumpia there though. Slightly different than philipino lumpia but just as excellent in their own way. You fry them up and eat them wrapped in a fresh leaf of lettuce and dip it in Thai sweet chili sauce. Crazy good.

By the way, you've never experienced egg rolls until you've eaten Korean version: "Yaki Mandu".

baadfish69
02-03-2009, 04:58 PM
If your parents live in Phoenix, have them go to Lee Lee's Market on the corner of Dobson & Warner in Chandler. They'll have the vietnamese style egg rolls frozen in a bag, I'm not sure if they have lumpia there though. Slightly different than philipino lumpia but just as excellent in their own way. You fry them up and eat them wrapped in a fresh leaf of lettuce and dip it in Thai sweet chili sauce. Crazy good.

By the way, you've never experienced egg rolls until you've eaten Korean version: "Yaki Mandu".

Hehe....actually they live in Kingman, so thats outta the question. I bought the ingredients today for the recipe that Yama posted, so Ill let everyone know how that turned out. Then I will definitely try the recipe for the Vietnamese ones. Heres hopin I dont jack it up! Stay tuned!

baadfish69
02-06-2009, 12:52 AM
UPDATE:

Well...I tried the recipe Yama posted, and they were a hit! The only thing was that they were a bit salty. With the soy sauce, Im guessing adding the salt wasnt needed? However the flavor was really really good and I do recommend the recipe. The only thing I did different was instead of regular onions, I used green onions and blended them up real fine in a food processor. I used a whole bunch too, and it came out real nice. The ground pork is what I used....and I cant imagine it coming out better by using the ground beef. I think we are going to try a mix of ground beef and ground pork next time just to see. Oh yeah, and I added a few drops of Sesame Oil into the frying oil.

Let me just say...in a house full of picky eaters....these lumpia were a HIT. All gone....the whole batch.....as quick as I could cook em.

Next up is KPN's recipe!

fishntime
02-07-2009, 06:20 PM
Hey brotha! Its funny you bring this up. I work with alot of Phillipino people and I recently had a lady make me about 100 rolls. They are great, there is a place in Hemet that you can go buy them. Ill get back to you as soon as I get the info.

a biley
02-07-2009, 08:44 PM
Shangai Lumpia! Sarap!

a biley
02-07-2009, 08:45 PM
my mom is famous for her Lumpia, it's the first to go at parties... unfortunately i don't have that recipe

baadfish69
02-24-2009, 09:32 PM
Im getting pretty good at this Lumpia cooking. I made some more today (my 4th attempt since the original post) and they just seem to be getting better each time. Authentic Asian ingredients definitely are key. I found a small Asian market near my house, and he had a brand of wrappers designed for Lumpia (red package) plus he had the 3 Crabs fish sauce etc etc.....

This is not only satisfying the tummy, but its fun too! My wifes whole family are already demanding the Lumpia at their special occasions and such.

:)

yamafish
02-25-2009, 06:03 PM
Baadfish69,
Sounds like they are really good! Good job!
If you ever want the frozen ones to try out. LadyFish has an asian place near her that have them is several different flavors
Seafood - Pork - Beef - Chicken
Send me a PM if ya want us to pick these up
Pork I think is my favorite! Some sweet/sour sauce and hot sauce and you are good to go!

YamaFish
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h92/rfish7/059.jpg