PDA

View Full Version : Jig and Pig

Addicted 2Fishin
02-01-2009, 05:13 PM
Hey guys. I want to try out the "Jig and Pig" technique, and need some advice. I bought a bunch of football head jigs, and etc. I also bought a bunch of pork trailers. I know how to rig it, but don't know how to fish it. Where would I want to throw it in? I mostly fish in Castaic. Any pointers? Thanks in advance.

marc626
02-02-2009, 11:56 AM
First things first. Don't buy a bunch of stuff($$$) untill you've had a chance to learn a few techs. and gain confidence. Use google or Bassdozer. Get your read on! You'll need to know what type of cover etc. to deterimine this. -Peace

marc626
02-02-2009, 11:57 AM
damn typo....

dalean08
02-02-2009, 12:42 PM
http://www.probass.net/protips/Articles/MarkDenney/Jigfishing.php
some 411 for you

calico killer kevin
02-02-2009, 04:23 PM
For the beginner:
find any rocky areas
Toss is out there
Retrieve it slowly one or two cranks
lift the rod tip up and reel once
retrieve it slowly one or two cranks
lift the rod tip up and reel once
Rinse and repeat.

Best done with a boat and a twitch bar reel

BassButcher
02-02-2009, 05:50 PM
Jig Fishing is my favorite technique. You may not get alot of bites but i've caught some of my biggest bass on a jig. For castaic, i would concentrate on fishing rocky points with a football jig. Be prepared to fish them anywhere from 1 to 60+ feet. Good luck!

lurk 182
02-02-2009, 06:06 PM
kinda like a worm. this time of year, as slow as you can make yourself fish it. i'd concentrate on areas with chunk rock that are about 45 degrees (not super steep, not flat). flip it out. let it fall on a slack line. l like to let it sit a little while and just shake it in place w/o dragging it at all. when you do want to bring it towards you, use the rod, pulling towards you until the rod is at about 10 or 11 oclock, then reel up the slack. sometimes giving it a little pop will trigger a bite and often you'll get bit when the jig falls off of a little drop-off/ shelf so try to give it slack when you feel that so the jig can fall naturally and not swing back at you pendulum style (you'll know b/c you can't feel the bottom anymore). fish usually slam a jig, you'll usually know it when you get bit. just point your rod back down to where its almost parallel with the water, reel up the slack, and swing hard, the jig will usually catch the fish in the roof of the mouth and you need to put some pressure on it to get it through there. good thing is that the fish will stay buttoned up most of the time if you put a solid hookset on em. no less than twelve pound line for me and a medium heavy rod. 1/2 oz jig is my go to size. they catch better than average fish, not much under three pounds usually.

J. Owen
02-02-2009, 06:43 PM
jigs are very versital ..
you can twitch it, drag it, hop it, swim it,
with or with out a rattle
tungsten is my favorite judt do what feels rite to you practice each teqniue and find what suites you best
good luck!!!!!!!!!!

Addicted 2Fishin
02-02-2009, 08:34 PM
Thanks so much guys.

FishermanStu
02-02-2009, 08:40 PM
if i had to choose one lure to fish for the rest of my days it would be a jig. not always the best choice but def. useful in almost any situation. keep at it.

Addicted 2Fishin
02-02-2009, 08:50 PM
if i had to choose one lure to fish for the rest of my days it would be a jig. not always the best choice but def. useful in almost any situation. keep at it.

Ya, that's what I heard from a lot of people and that is why I want to get into using them more.

jim532
02-03-2009, 09:22 AM
if you go to Youtube and searn jig n pig you will find some howto videos, same with any fishing technique.

Addicted 2Fishin
02-03-2009, 04:34 PM
if you go to Youtube and searn jig n pig you will find some howto videos, same with any fishing technique.

Ok. Thanks.

BassButcher
02-03-2009, 07:07 PM
www.bassfishin.com

2 great videos on beginning jig fishing plus other techniques.

Addicted 2Fishin
02-08-2009, 03:56 PM
Cool i'll check it out.