PDA

View Full Version : 2/1/09 2nd outing much better

slixx
02-01-2009, 01:03 PM
Went to NPB today with the hopes of catching some fish. Got to the beach about 6:15am and started casting my ms lc about the second cast i noticed that i had forgotten my fishing lic, so had to make a long trip back to the car to get it. Now that i had everything making sure to double check I was back on my way casting the old reliable LC. about my six cast I looked down by by foot and there he was running away from me a rather large hali that I had just stepped on :Shocked:. Couldn't believe it the fish i was looking for and i had to step on him.

Casted for about an hour with no love decided to change it up and went ot the kroc casted two times and then i see a large shadow gliding through the wave it was Mr. Leo looked to be about 3-4 ft nice size couldn't put on a swimbait so started casting the kroc at him hopefully something but he just kept goin on his way. Grabbed my DS setup and tossed it right in front of him then i felt it hit I was shaking in my boots set the hook and noticed that he was rather light brought him in to see that i was a little hali bout 13in. Looked up and notice that Mr. leo was gone. :Sad:

Decided to stay with the DS rig good thing i did it was WFO on Hali only problem the largest that i could get was about 16in. About an hour later I get a hit and the rod goes bendo and I go to put a little pressure on the rod and the line goes slack i reel in and know for sure that the line had snapped. Rest of the day I spent using The DS rig for more little hali. Left around 11:30

all in all was a good day.

fish count

14 hali and farmed 5

here is a pic of one the many short butts

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm28/slixx00/020109hali.jpg

tight lines

Wingnut
02-02-2009, 10:13 PM
We're all in search for that WFO Hali bite, doesn't happen very often. Looks like you found where the pancakes were stacked up on that day. :Cool:
Persistence paid off, congrats on the fine day in the surf.

fish_sauce
02-03-2009, 07:32 AM
14 shorts is still a pretty productive day!

thanks for the report.

Ren714
02-03-2009, 12:42 PM
WOW WFO hali's! That's what I'm talking about...

bones
02-04-2009, 04:56 AM
Boy ohhhhhhh Boy......I feel ya. Up in the Ventura area I'm the shortie KING.....LOL

I must catch 15 shorties for every one legal up there. Still alot of fun though and you get so fired up when you get that one 20 incher that pulls with alot of spirit just to tape her out as a shortie.

Keep up the good work and thanks for the report!

sidified
02-04-2009, 09:00 PM
A+ for quantity, mate.

Stepping on that hali just reaffirms how close they can be fished. You can hook up when there's hardly any retrieve left---scares the beweezers out out of me!

Sid