PDA

View Full Version : Duct Flow Cut Back Even More, New Smelt Issues

yolo
01-31-2009, 05:56 PM
For those interested, the local paper had an article about the water issues and fish protection that will significantly impact water flow. Looks like there is a new smelt to worry about for this year added to the Delta smelt. It is a longfin smelt. Here's the link and the article http://www.avpress.com/n/29/0129_s1.hts

Water supplies at record lows
State faces third straight drought year
This story appeared in the Antelope Valley Press
Thursday, January 29, 2009.

By ALISHA SEMCHUCK
Valley Press Staff Writer
PALMDALE - Water supplies in California have not yet hit rock bottom, but at some of the reservoirs in the State Water Project, they're coming darn close - dipping to record low levels.

The situation threatens to reduce 2009 California Aqueduct allocations to between 5% and 10% of the entitlement for state water contractors such as the Antelope Valley-East Kern Water Agency, Littlerock Creek Irrigation District and Palmdale Water District.

That's the potential doomsday message coming out of the California Department of Water Resources as California faces a potentially third consecutive dry year.

Russ Fuller, general manager at the Antelope Valley-East Kern Water Agency, said two years of drought caused the DWR in 2008 to allocate 35% of its entitlement to the 29 state water contractors. For AVEK, that meant 49,490 acre-feet at most. Each acre-foot equals 325,851 gallons, the amount used by the average Antelope Valley household in a year.

Annual water demand from AVEK customers - water retailers such as Quartz Hill Water District and Los Angeles County Waterworks District 40, plus agricultural users - reaches on average 55,000 acre-feet, according to Mike Flood, agency engineer for AVEK.

"In some years, we get orders for 70,000 acre-feet," he said.

AVEK delivered in excess of 48,000 acre-feet in 2008.

"People have cut back, conserving from the very beginning," Flood said.

For 2009, Flood added, "we have orders for 60,000 acre-feet."

As if the 2008 allocations didn't worry water suppliers enough, Fuller said the outlook for 2009 is even more grim. In December, DWR projected a 15% allocation for state water contractors.

At 15%, AVEK could draw a maximum of 21,210 acre-feet from the 444-mile California Aqueduct, which is fed by the Sacramento-San Joaquin River Delta. Since that projection, another snag surfaced involving the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service - a situation which threatens to reduce 2009 allocations to between 5% and 10%, Fuller said.

Fish and Wildlife Service officials issued a biological opinion suggesting extra measures for protecting the Delta smelt, a 2-inch fish whose population was declining due to being sucked into the pumps that send water into the aqueduct. Federal District Court Judge Oliver Wanger last spring ordered a slowdown of the pumps. Wanger's decision resulted in less water coming through the aqueduct, which reduced the allocation for state water contractors. The federal government and environmentalists also have emphasized a need to restore salmon runs.

Aside from Delta smelt and salmon concerns, the California Fish and Game Commission, in November 2008, sought to protect longfin smelt by further limiting pumping in the Delta.

"If the biological opinion (by Fish and Wildlife) stands," Fuller said, "the decision will be more severe than Wanger's decision."

"This litigation is going to start soon," Fuller said. The state water contractors' Joint Powers Authority will fight back in court, he said.

Kern County Water Agency and the Metropolitan Water District of Southern California will hire their own counsel, in addition to the State Water Project contractors, Fuller said. "The idea is to block this biological opinion and get it thrown out."

The Fish and Wildlife Service opinion is not as severe on the federal Central Valley Project, a delivery system that uses water from the Sacramento River basin to supply the San Francisco Bay area and farmlands of the San Joaquin Valley, he said. Environmentalists backing a save-the-fish campaign further complicated the climate change issues that plagued water agencies.

California went through its driest spring and summer on record in 2008, according to a presentation by Lester Snow, director of the California Department of Water Resources, and Mike Chrisman, secretary of the California Resources Agency, on Dec. 4 at an Association of California Water Agencies conference.

That presentation, titled "Managing Drought in the Golden State," also noted that Southern California in 2007 recorded the driest year on record. The two-year stream flow of the Sacramento and San Joaquin rivers measured in the lowest 10% of the historical range.

Reservoirs at Shasta, Oroville, Folsom and San Luis marked the lowest carryover storage since 1977, during California's worst recent drought. The San Luis Reservoir, on which AVEK banks, was at 16% of capacity as of August.

Under wet conditions, the California Aqueduct's delivery capacity for 2009 would be 7.02 million acre-feet - the baseline amount released in a year that meets water quality standards set by the State Water Resources Control Board. During a wet year, if the Delta smelt decision by Wanger is factored in, the amount decreases to 4.93 million acre-feet, and adding in restrictions to protect longfin smelt further reduces the amount to 3.93 million acre-feet.

Those numbers reflect the maximum amount for a year when rainfall and snow packs produce a bounty of water, officials say.

Dry conditions - record low precipitation - drastically lower those numbers. During those times the baseline delivery would be 2.71 million acre-feet. Taking the Delta smelt issue into consideration would lower the delivery to 2.29 million acre-feet. Adding in protection measures for longfin smelt drops that number to 1.68 million acre-feet. That's the amount of water that would be available for all 29 state water contractors to share for the year.

Fuller said state water contractors expect DWR to inform them of the 2009 allocation in mid-February.

The presentation from Snow and Chrisman reminded Californians of the need to conserve water to make it through the drought. That presentation ended with the motto: "Hope is not a strategy."

tpfishnfool
01-31-2009, 07:02 PM
Well there goes that Fishery ! Whats next, no fishing in California ? Hell you cant fish for Rock Fish, Cant catch Trout in any water that has some dumb *** frog, cant take a boat to any damb lake cause of a damb Mussel, DAMB IT ! Hey, its Beer thirty somewhere....LOL

sansou
01-31-2009, 07:12 PM
Thanks for the article. Scary stuff...

Frankly, I'm puzzled why CA hasn't coughed up $15B or so to build a nuke reactors to power a massive desalination plant(s).

"NIMBY" issues and CA liberalism aside, it would seem thing to do. Heck, look at the guys over in the middle east....where do you think they get their agua?

Save the smelt, build a nuke!

BIGRED KILLA
01-31-2009, 07:50 PM
What does this mean to many big words my ADD can't keep up.All i understand from that was Smelt is the best bait for Butts and we need water.

Bigred

bsp
01-31-2009, 09:08 PM
What does this mean to many big words my ADD can't keep up.All i understand from that was Smelt is the best bait for Butts and we need water.

Bigred

Less water in the duct b/c the state doesn't want to kill a smelt.

Sansou, I am with you on nuclear energy. Sadly, it will keep getting blocked because people are scared of another Chernobyl or 3mi island, which actually was an example of fail safes working.

BingJr
01-31-2009, 11:41 PM
w/o desalination plants, we will all have astroturf lawns, be on water rationing and be showering under the same guidelines as we do on the 3 day tuna trips, get wet, turn off water, soap down, turn on water, rinse quickly get out!

Like Joe Rogan said, Moving to where the water is may be the final solution.

hughpam
01-31-2009, 11:57 PM

That's my thought about 39 times a day. Reason number 384 to leave CA.

Wish the family (destructive) court system would give me my boy.

BIGRED KILLA
02-01-2009, 12:58 AM
w/o desalination plants, we will all have astroturf lawns, be on water rationing and be showering under the same guidelines as we do on the 3 day tuna trips, get wet, turn off water, soap down, turn on water, rinse quickly get out!

You shower on those trips i always been told you have to smell like a fish to catch them.

Bigred

DarkShadow
02-03-2009, 03:39 PM
Stories like this make me want to water my golf course in the desert while it's raining.

dockboy
02-03-2009, 05:33 PM
Unfournately desalination plants are expensive cost wise for their output. There will be a few more years before we see the technology to really handle it. But the ocean levels are only rising and in my mind its a growing source of water.

Nuclear power has been the answer for many years. Think about it. Dams are out. Wind mills work for small projects, but they still have environment impacts. Yet ppl think nuclear energy is this evil thing. We complain how there are a lower amount of jobs for college educated workers, and yet nuclear power could provide high end jobs. Sure we could **** up big time on nuclear power. But then again when many ppl every year get cancer and chronic diseases from their water supply and living conditions in LA every year, why is the small potential of a nuclear incident so risky? Nuclear power is clean, fairly fail safe, and we have the projects to safely store nuclear waste. Yet these projects have been delayed because they have no sources. We have the ability to erase the hydro dams, and help restore our sea run fisheries. Yet we will bow to the demands of the ppl who enforce NIMBY so that they can feel "environmentally friendly", yet everytime they put a new shopping center or a new housing development the long term impact can be so much worse.

I'll catch **** for this, but I think lawns should be banned in So Cal and other dry areas. A lawn takes up FEET up water per day to water and live. So we have lawns for what? For show? What is wrong with having what originally existed in SoCal? Is natural beauty that bad? I love my rock gardens with sage and pines. It takes up little water and never dies. IMO, grass should be for parks, city halls, recreation areas. Places where ppl will use it and water regulation is under watch. Hell even golf courses could have it. But personal lawns? WHY? Grass pollens cause more allergies than most invasive weeds combined anyways. But we will continue to water lawns, so that we may impress the neighbors. Yet our Sierras will be drained dry and we will still sell the idea of lawns and flower gardens where there should be oaks and grasses.

tacklejunkie
02-03-2009, 06:01 PM
My association demands I keep my lawn green, or I get fined more money.

Everyone on my street who lost their house let their lawns die while they chill for 6mo free of charge.

Which made the association want more money from the people left.. and pick on everyone for every fricken wrong blade of grass or plants and water on the back useless hill on your property.

dockboy
02-03-2009, 06:45 PM
Im not directing this as a personal attack in any way. I was just stating my opinion. You cant blame everyone, obviously. Im talking about stuff like your homeowners association, where the ability to conserve in limited by the absurd rules of a private organization. Not every individual with a lawn.

Simplyeman
02-03-2009, 07:04 PM

Bigred

Man do i look like a jackass, I am in my engineering lab and I read this and laugh out loud.....now i look like a total douchenuckle.

The Angler
02-03-2009, 10:20 PM
My association demands I keep my lawn green, or I get fined more money.

Everyone on my street who lost their house let their lawns die while they chill for 6mo free of charge.

Which made the association want more money from the people left.. and pick on everyone for every fricken wrong blade of grass or plants and water on the back useless hill on your property.

Wow..

Where the hell do u live ?
If that association try that bull here in da hood you get pimp slapped. I guess when ur middle class theres far worse things to worry about then neighbors complaining about other peoples property, Your home value it dropping like a hot tamale anyway a green lawn aint gonna keep its value from dropping 3,000 a month