PDA

View Full Version : KISTLER? For Football Jigs

BassButcher
01-31-2009, 01:10 PM
Was wondering if any of you have used the Kistler jig rods. Helium LTA or Helium LTX. I was looking at 7'6" MH or H for football jigs, flippin jigs and pitchin with 12 to 15 lb test. Anyone recommend these?

Thanks for the input.

BassButcher

bsp
01-31-2009, 06:29 PM
I have a Kistler LTA 76HC and it is not really heavy flipping rod. It's more of an all around rod. I wouldn't use anything more than 15 on it, so you should be fine. Just don't expect it to rip a 5lb bass out of heavy grass when you are flipping. Other than that it's a great rod.

Socal Bassman
01-31-2009, 08:37 PM
I have or have owned most of the LTA's and a few LTX's and here's what I would recommend when it comes to fishing jigs. For 1/4-3/8oz. jigs, swimming jigs, and Texas rigs, go with a MH. For a good all around jig rod, like bsp mentioned, go with either the He76HC or the He2HC76. If you'll be flipping and pitching into heavy cover, go with the He76THC or the He2HC76T. The heavy telescopic rods have more fish fighting power as compared to their non telescoping counterparts.

I prefer the LTX series because they are lighter and a tad bit more sensitive than the LTA. Plus, I like the split grip design. The handle material takes a little getting used to, but I like it. Although, the LTA's have a faster tip IMO. They're both good rods and you can't go wrong with either. It all comes down to personal preference... And how much you want to spend. :LOL:

lurk 182
01-31-2009, 08:48 PM
Just don't expect it to rip a 5lb bass out of heavy grass when you are flipping. Other than that it's a great rod.

which is exactly what you need from a "real" flipping stick. i think you're right to look at line size you're going to be using. i fish 1/4oz jigs on 8lb to 3/4oz on twenty. you usually don't want your line much heavier than it needs to be for the cover you're fishing, but jigs catch quality fish, so i hate to be undergunned. i have a st croix 7'3" XH "big jig" blank that i had a rod built on. its really stiff and still very light and even five pounders are pretty controllable. i've heard good things about those (kistler) rods although i had also heard that some were breaking, but that was a couple years ago too.

BassButcher
02-02-2009, 03:31 PM
Thanks for the input you guys. Very helpful!!!

bassin g
02-06-2009, 05:24 AM
8lb test is too light for jigs lightest I go is 10lb test and 15lbtest is as heavy as goI like a 6'10'' med/heavy for pitching jigs and 4.5'' tube baits a 7'6''med/heavy for pitching/flipping.

DarkShadow
02-06-2009, 08:33 AM
Lots of good advice on this thread. I haven't fished Kistlers but I'm sure like every rod manufacturer, they have a rod for pretty much every application.

Unfortunately, I don't think they have one that'll cover all those applications you listed, simply because the range of baits and line is too wide.

When you say football jigs, I think of using the light 3/8th ounce jigs in 45 feet of water at DVL, using 10# test. They are not the best jigs to be fishing lots of cover.

When you say flipping, I think of using 20 pound test or possibly even braid, flipping 1 ounce jigs into mats and crap in the Delta.

When I think of 'pitching,' I think the spectrum in between football jigs and flipping.

You can get a rod that is smack in the middle of the heavy flipping and the football jigging, but you'll be undermatched for flipping, and overmatched for the lighter football jigs.

And so is the life of a bass fisherman...having 19 different rods for 19 different applications.