PDA

View Full Version : How to Properly Cast a Bait Castng rod

Fishingmonkee
01-30-2009, 07:18 PM
Hi,

so i got the rod but how do i properly cast it. I only know how to cast spinning rod but im very new to bait casting rods. Do i hold down the unlock before i cast or do i throw and then hold down the unlock?

PhisHook
01-30-2009, 07:59 PM
Push unlock, place thumb on line, cast & release just before you would with a spinner, keep thumb close to line or just barley tuching for beginners and just before it hits the water stop the spool so as not to get a birds nest. Do not spool it full you will have better luck learning wirth fewer birds nests.

Practice in the backyard or the park with some weight on the line before just going for the gusto.

It took me about 2 hrs of casting in the yard to get it I found the side hand was the easiest overhead will get you better distance and the underhand I am still learning.

Good luck

Nate

PhisHook
01-30-2009, 08:15 PM
Oh yeah and welcome to the board!

a biley
01-30-2009, 08:26 PM
i still suck at it...

Fishingmonkee
01-30-2009, 08:35 PM
thanks for the advice, im planning to go to yorba park in orange tomorrow to practice. :] what kind of bait should i be using? from my previous thread, it was suggested 3/8 and 5/8 but what brand, type? thank you :]

tucunare
01-30-2009, 10:10 PM
I would recommend something that floats to start with, because when you get a bird's nest, you'll need some time to sort it out. With a floater, you don't have to worry about it maybe getting hung up on a snag after it sinks to the bottom while you take out the bird's nest... That's how I started anyway :Big Grin:

PhisHook
01-30-2009, 11:08 PM
I would recommend something that floats to start with, because when you get a bird's nest, you'll need some time to sort it out.

I wish I had thunktididd Of that one! I lost some good ($$) swimmers that way and some rat-l-traps too. Thats Good advice.

Rapalas are good I like them and they produce.

Ryan C
01-31-2009, 12:02 AM
bring a good pair of cutters and a extra spool of line lol

PhisHook
01-31-2009, 03:02 AM
bring a good pair of cutters and a extra spool of line lol

I spooled mine with a good braid, 15lb test and had no trouble untangling it just took some finesse but the worst only took 3-5 minutes

Fishingmonkee
01-31-2009, 03:57 AM
i went to redondo tonight and kind of got a hang of setting the reel. At first it would spool up and tangle the lines in the reel but that was an easy problem to fix. then i got to the point where it doesn't tangle no more. The only problem i had was casting? it did not go very far? I was using sabikis with 1oz weight at the bottom. Tomorrow i will still go to the park and get some bait and practice casting though : ] Thanks everyone

Nessie Hunter
01-31-2009, 08:54 AM
The only problem i had was casting? it did not go very far? I was using sabikis with 1oz weight at the bottom.

Check your spool control & spool brakes for proper settings...
Dont know what reel your using, but most have a knob by handle that puts pressure on the spool end, this can be adjusted to free the spool spin..
Also on left side of reel is normally some sort of brake mechanism??? You can set that to control it with a 'finer' adjustment....

The short cast with 1 oz, means it is set to tight at some point???
As you learn the Reel you will be freeing those adjustments up a LOT.. to almost a freespool and doing all the controlling with thumb pressure on line/spool.....

Learn your reel & adjustments and practice often with varied weights...

:Cool:

That Dang Guy
01-31-2009, 10:45 AM
The higher your brakes and spool tension, the lower your chance of birds nest. Sounds great, but you reduce your casting distance as you up any of those. You just have to practice and slowly work your brakes down as you become more comfortable and intune with your gear.

Addicted 2Fishin
01-31-2009, 10:18 PM
Ok, on the side of your reel there should be a little knob. It adjusts the magnets inside the reel. With the weight on the end of the line, engage the reel, and let it drop strait to the ground. If it goes very slowly then you need to turn the knob one way or another until the line falls faster. This should get some more distance into the cast. Make sure you do not let it fall too fast though, because all that will do is get you bird nests. Good luck!

Fishingmonkee
01-31-2009, 10:31 PM
I have the tension loosen pretty good and avoided getting fish net. Everything said to apply pressure on the line as it goes out to avoid birdnest. I did it and after a while it hurts my finger? is this normal?

lalo56
01-31-2009, 10:35 PM
You will build a callus.

Nessie Hunter
02-01-2009, 08:03 AM
What Reel are your using with 1 oz????
And what line weight???

snag
02-01-2009, 08:25 AM
Some very basic 101 tips have already been posted.

Keep in mind....FULL SPOOL! (The spool turns a bit slower when it's full of line).
Try to ensure the line in always tight on the spool.

Thumb BURN? Wet the spool with water on your first cast. (don't dip the reel into the lake like my kid does, lol).

You'll have it masterd in no time just keep at it.

Just my two cents

Fishingmonkee
02-01-2009, 10:28 AM
What Reel are your using with 1 oz????
And what line weight???

the abu garcia 6000.

lurk 182
02-01-2009, 11:27 AM
maybe go with a little lighter weight (maybe 1/2 oz.) you may also be pushing a little hard if its burning/hurting your finger. wetting the line is a good idea, other than the first cast, you will usually be dealing with wet line. are you an accountant or something? get out there a build up some man hands. i'm a desk jockey and i'm ok. sounds like you're making progress though, its a frustrating thing (baitcasters) but you will have much better control of where the lure goes once you figure it out.

Fishingmonkee
02-01-2009, 11:33 AM
by no mean am i an accountant but that's what im going to school for :]. i was using 1oz weight because i was at the pier trying to catch mackerels. I actually got a 3/8 rapalas that i will use at the pond this friday after i get my fishing permit.

As for my progress thus far, i have to thank everybody that gave me advice or else wouldn't have made such quick progress. :] thanks

lurk 182
02-01-2009, 11:36 AM
see i knew it. go get em with that Rapala. i think the wet line will help a lot. get the 2009 license with a saltwater enhancement stamp (roughly $45) the DFG needs all the funds they can get to try to keep these fish here for us to chase.

Fishingmonkee
02-01-2009, 11:47 AM
will do, eager to get out on the pond/lake/surf anyway :].

J. Owen
02-01-2009, 03:55 PM
be prepared for a head ache!!!
ok first things first dont pennie pinch when it comes to your purchase.
the first time you cast you will see were that extra money went
and the rest just comes from practice.
HOPE YOUR GOOD AT UNTIEING KNOTS LOL:Dead Horse:

Lunker1979
02-05-2009, 10:04 PM
Haha, it's like reading a romantic bed-time story!!!!

Ifishtoolittle
02-05-2009, 10:45 PM
thanks for the advice, im planning to go to yorba park in orange tomorrow to practice. :] what kind of bait should i be using? from my previous thread, it was suggested 3/8 and 5/8 but what brand, type? thank you :]

depending on the weight of ur line if your're using say 10 or 12lb I would stick with 3/8 anything heavier go up to the 5/8. When I throw the baitcaster I often stick with light line ex. 8lb so i would throw smaller baits weighing in at 1/4oz.

DarkShadow
02-06-2009, 10:26 AM
Phew!

That's why I stick to coffee grinders.

BKULIN
02-06-2009, 12:00 PM
If it doesnt go very far, Loosen the brakes on the spool. Keep it tight until u get a hang of it and then as you get better loosen as you go.