PDA

View Full Version : SNAKEHEADS---in our local waters?????

charlesTHEd3
01-30-2009, 05:53 PM
YEP.....within 4 weeks of each other, on two different bodies of water 100's of miles from each other....fishin Lake Pyramid a buddy of mine caught 4 baby snakeheads with a little net..we looked on line 2 research these fish, and sure enough, they were snakeheads...and then again at Lake Skinner we caught another one.....these fish are not supposed to be here..they originate in Thailand, and they get huge, QUICKLY...by eating everything in sight daily....PEOPLE, we cant let these exotic pets go when they get 2 big...and we 4 SURE should not be using them 4 bait, as they will get off the hook at times and can cause problems that way 2....man oh man, i have been fishing these local lakes 4 years and NEVER came across 1 till now.....and not just 1, and not in the same lake either.....come on guys, let's leave our children these lakes as our dad's n mom's left them 4 us.....we all know how it is 2 fish in Cali, it's pressured BIG TIME, and letting go a fish that can get 15 pounds in 1 year in the wild cannot be a good thing..........:Shocked:

sansou
01-30-2009, 05:57 PM
I assume the second time you caught the snakeheads you kept them, took pics, and notified DFG. Right? :Wink:

BassFreak
01-30-2009, 05:59 PM
I assume the second time you caught the snakeheads you kept them, took pics, and notified DFG. Right? :Wink:

Of course not.. That would just make too much sense.. :EyePop:

Stormcrow
01-30-2009, 06:06 PM
Do you have pictures of them? Many anglers have mistaken fresh water Gobies (Also invasive, but not aggressive) for Snakeheads. Perhaps you can post your pics here from Skinner and Pyramid?

bigbear
01-30-2009, 06:31 PM
i don't think its warm enough for snakeheads to survive right now. you might be mistaken. they are a tropical fish and the waters should be way too cold for them.

PureAle
01-30-2009, 06:39 PM
i doubt it theres snakeheads. should of posted pics.

PureAle

Hitts0n
01-30-2009, 06:41 PM
Big deal ! I hope more are released into the waters !:ROFL:
Stripers would 0wn these fish!
I dont believe you.

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k56/hitts0n/giant_snakehead_39.jpg

PureAle
01-30-2009, 06:48 PM
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k56/hitts0n/giant_snakehead_39.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/7/8915990_b025a29f94.jpg?v=0

haha i think snakeheads would own stripers.:ROFL::ROFL:

Ray Lopez
01-30-2009, 07:22 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v28/RayLopez/Random%20Images%20and%20avatars/nwesk21yl.jpg

socalrippin
01-30-2009, 08:48 PM
definitely should have taken pics...

jim532
01-30-2009, 09:00 PM
The posts are suspicious to start with, the guy joined yesterday and the only 2 posts he's made are to warn us about snakehead. Probably a lurker or even a regular user trying to stir the pot.

yafool
01-30-2009, 09:14 PM
pound for pound, Snakeheads pull harder than bass or stripers.....

BigBass777
01-30-2009, 09:15 PM
I saw a show about those snakes last year. They destroy everything in a lake or stream. They have feet too and can walk on land. A guy let one go in a river (in another country) and soon enough they were uncontrollable. They breed so fast and so much that other species of fish have no chance. We better hope this isn't the same type of snake or species.

goseango
01-30-2009, 09:20 PM
and the bwst part is they taste like CHICKEN.............:EyePop:

pound for pound, Snakeheads pull harder than bass or stripers.....

old pudd fisher
01-30-2009, 09:29 PM
I don't want no stinkin snakeheads around here!!

GeordyBass
01-30-2009, 09:44 PM
I don't want no stinkin snakeheads around here!!
were gonna have to exterminate em!!!!

basscatcher
01-30-2009, 10:07 PM
a good friend of mine caught the second one i california a few years back at silverwood.

God Bless

basscatcher

THROWBACK RANGER
01-30-2009, 10:31 PM
The posts are suspicious to start with, the guy joined yesterday and the only 2 posts he's made are to warn us about snakehead. Probably a lurker or even a regular user trying to stir the pot.

i can vouch for that story i think charlesthe3d is a friend of a friend. that is the exact same story i heard from a buddy of mine and he doesnt lie. my buddy did take the snakeheads (for sure snakeheads!!!) home and killed them. i'm sure he took pics. it was at night and they swam up to his head lamp and he scooped them up. i bet theres more!! they could have came in through the aquaduct. that water travels along way! i dont think he's trying to stir the pot he's trying to smoke the pot! and yes he is a lurker so watch out!!!

BingJr
01-30-2009, 10:54 PM
Didnt someone post a snakehead question and the fish turned out to be a goby or a sculpin? Snake heads would suck, but lets not put the cart before the horse here. Unless they get real big real real fast, they will be striper food!

Pete Marino
01-30-2009, 10:57 PM
Im 99% sure what they caught are fresh water sculpin.
Silverwood is full of them, so is Big bear, so is skinner and alot of other lakes around.
Id be extremely surprised if they are anything other then sculpin...

Pete:Cool:

basscatcher
01-30-2009, 11:03 PM
Im 99% sure what they caught are fresh water sculpin.
Silverwood is full of them, so is Big bear, so is skinner and alot of other lakes around.
Id be extremely surprised if they are anything other then sculpin...

Pete:Cool:

pete stop acting like you know it all. lol jk hey bro i need a guide at corona lol yea its true though a good friend of mine got one that was 10lbs at the wood.

lilmystery246
01-30-2009, 11:05 PM
oh sh**!!!! when i was about 7 years old i caught a snakehead at santa fe dam!!! i didnt know anything about those fish and what they chould do neither did my brother. so we let it back in the water =[ big mistake. sorry lol and were positive it was a snakehead we even have a pic of it still its somewhere in the garage and it was 2 pounds 7oz. well our mistake hope its not lurking somewhere in there still..

a biley
01-30-2009, 11:58 PM
to make things clear...

http://www.fws.gov/snakehead3.htm

yes there was a snakehead at silverwood, 1997.

NO REPORTED snakehead at santa fe dam, so lil mystery, you are probably mistaken.

Puddingstone, NONE, but there are some freshwater eels!!!

FarmerJohn
01-31-2009, 01:03 AM
National Geographic channel had a special on snakeheads and some have been known too attack people and they also survive very well in waters alot colder than around here!

Oh! New avitar.

paDDy
01-31-2009, 08:34 AM
Next time you catch one put it in you live well. I know its illegal but I really want one.

Ambassadorhawg
01-31-2009, 08:58 AM
I wouldn't doubt it to see exotic fish like Snakeheads in our waters. The reports of them from Pyramid, Skinner and Silverwood would suggest that they were introduced to these lakes through the aqueduct system.

What I have BIG PROBLEM with is any being captured alive in water temps below 65 degrees. Snakeheads cannot survive a California Winter with our water temps dropping into the low 50's or less....

....unless, of course....

These fish that have appeared are some super breed, capable of living in any condition. If that's the case, with global warming causing planetary changes, perhaps in ten years, those same fish will develop lungs and then wings and then the capabilty of breathing fire.

Trippin' hard right now on 3 cups of jo,
'hawg

jase33
01-31-2009, 09:17 AM
i saw the same show on tv dude......they arent here and you didnt catch any.
good luck with your fish scare.

Ifishtoolittle
01-31-2009, 09:26 AM
Are you sure? Let's see some pics this sounds like some made up crap.

Nessie Hunter
01-31-2009, 09:27 AM
The sky is falling, the ski is falling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Probably Fresh water Sculpin???????????

Got pictures?????

goodguy
02-02-2009, 07:46 AM
Some kinds of freshwater sculpin look very much like snakeheads... Don't be to sure you had a snakehead...

snag
02-02-2009, 08:54 AM
These fish that have appeared are some super breed, capable of living in any condition. If that's the case, with global warming causing planetary changes, perhaps in ten years, those same fish will develop lungs and then wings and then the capabilty of breathing fire.

'hawg

I'm switching to all steel leaders, carrying a 12ga shot gun 3-1/2" Magnum 00 buck, and a fire extinguisher.

LOL

Astrolux
02-02-2009, 09:03 AM
Never heard of these things, so I decided to google these snakeheads. And some videos came up, one in particular caught my eye. These fish seem pretty vicious. And the guy who made the video seems pretty vicious as well. Im pretty disappointed that this was made. :Sad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPGmvemG6fk&feature=related

Sebastian323
02-02-2009, 01:45 PM
to make things clear...

NO REPORTED snakehead at santa fe dam, so lil mystery, you are probably mistaken.

freshwater eels at the pudd???

let's see a picture of that santa fe dam snakehead

glumace
02-02-2009, 02:16 PM
Looks like the last confirmed report in a lake in CA was at Silverwood back in 1997.

US Fish & Wildlife Services

Sierra Club info
http://angeles.sierraclub.org/news/SS_2004-11/snakehead.asp

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/news/news05/05009.html

Not much of a punishment for the ones who did get caught smuggling them into socal a while back...

The state case settled on July 13, 2004 through the Los Angeles City Attorney’s Office. Rhee and Assi Super Inc., each pleaded guilty to four misdemeanor counts of unlawful possession of prohibited species. Rhee was placed on 36 months probation and in lieu of a jail sentence was ordered 30 days of CalTrans work service. Fines, penalties, and restitution at that time totaled $29,531.

Snakehead Stories

* Three species of snakehead have been recorded in the United States, in the states of California, Florida, Hawaii, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts and Rhode Island.

Florida: An established (reproducing) population of bullseye snakehead was found in Broward County in 2001. This is the largest snakehead species. It commonly grows to a length of four feet. This species may have been introduced intentionally as a food fish, released by aquarium hobbyists or escaped from a fish farm - although there are no fish farms in the immediate area. Two northern snakeheads have been caught in the St. Johns River in Seminole and Volusia counties. This species was probably released as a food fish.

California: California Fish and Game personnel collected a snakehead in Silverwood Lake in the San Bernardino Mountains east of Los Angeles in 1997.

Hawaii: The chevron snakehead was established on the island of Oahu in the late 1800s, where it is cultured as a food fish.

Maryland: Two adult and about 100 juvenile northern snakeheads were discovered in Crofton, Maryland in late June and early July 2002. The species came from live food markets.

New England States: A northern snakehead was collected in October 2001 from Newton Pond in Sudbury, Massachusetts. The likely source of this fish was the live fish market. Specimens of the giant snakehead have been collected from open waters in Maine, Massachusetts and Rhode Island. These snakeheads likely were released by aquarium owners whose "pets" grew too large or too expensive to feed. The giant is the most predacious snakehead species and has been known to attack humans.

* According to U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Law Enforcement, 16,554 live snakefish were imported into the U.S. between 1997 and 2000. The trend has been toward an increase in recent years.

* Live northern snakeheads are readily available in the seafood markets of Boston and New York.

* At least thirteen states already ban possession of live snakeheads: Alabama, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Kentucky, Mississippi, Nevada, Oregon, Texas, Utah and Washington.

* The states of Alabama, California, Florida, Kentucky, Texas and Washington have all recorded snakehead-related illegal activity, confiscations, citations or investigations within the past two years. Live northern snakeheads destined for food markets have been confiscated in markets in Washington, Texas and Florida in 2001. Another was purchased in Orlando, Florida in 2002. Snakeheads are also available over the Internet.

Hitts0n
02-02-2009, 05:30 PM
Never heard of these things, so I decided to google these snakeheads. And some videos came up, one in particular caught my eye. These fish seem pretty vicious. And the guy who made the video seems pretty vicious as well. Im pretty disappointed that this was made. :Sad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPGmvemG6fk&feature=related

that fish 0wnz!:ROFL:

basscatcher
02-02-2009, 06:13 PM
well they seem to like 10in fish so i guess the hudds and other baits will work just fine just need to upgrade the hooks, plaatic , and everything else on the bait,

God Bless

basscatcher

RoastedBlueGill
02-02-2009, 08:10 PM
they have also been found in silvwerwood, and reported to the dfg

BassinPLS
02-02-2009, 08:33 PM
I just finished watching a special on the National Geographic Channel, (Monday 7:00 pm and shows again at 9:00 pm), on Snakehead Fish in this County. According to a California Fish & Game Biologist appearing on that show, there are Snakehead Fish in California.

They investigated and ultimately arrested the owner(s) of a "large Korean Market" in Los Angeles for smuggling the fish into the County. The owner(s) of the market were arrested and fined $200,000.00.

They did not mention anything about the fishing being put into public water in CA; however, the USFWS reports there are Snakehead Fish in waters in Kentucky, West Virgina, and Washington DC, (the Delaware River) . The TV special suspected they were planted by Asians wanting to catch and eat the Snakehead fish.

The TV special mentioned there are 12 species of Snakeheads, one of which grows to over 5 feet in length and is very aggressive, not to mention their teeth and the fact they can live out of water.

We have enough trouble with the Zebra Mussels, let's hope we don't have to deal with the Snakehead too!

BassinPLS:Crying:

GeordyBass
02-02-2009, 08:44 PM
We have enough trouble with the Zebra Mussels, let's hope we don't have to deal with the Snakehead too!

BassinPLS:Crying:
Don't worry,we have a fish-blood thirst feelthesteel gary...lol...he'll kill so much snakeheads....you get the picture/s...:Twisted::ROFL::Twisted::ROFL::Twisted::ROFL:
feelthepeelsnakeheadkillergary....:LOL:

old pudd fisher
02-02-2009, 09:09 PM
:Twisted:[QUOTE=snag;303528]I'm switching to all steel leaders, carrying a 12ga shot gun 3-1/2" Magnum 00 buck, and a fire extinguisher.

I'll back you up:ROFL:

Baja Vinnie
02-02-2009, 09:13 PM
to make things clear...

And apparently a few Pacu as well. Caught one fishing at the Pudd in the rain back in 86. Caught it fishing garden worms for Bullhead and channels across from the trailer park where the water dumps in from the wash. Still might have a pic. Not sure I wanna show of that killer 80's mullet though.... LOL!

Bucket bay
02-02-2009, 09:31 PM
its on natgeo right now.

socalrippin
02-02-2009, 09:55 PM
im watching the show about them on nat geo right now haha. they can walk on land and live for three days out of water. craaaaazy!!!

jerkittony
02-02-2009, 11:41 PM
so if i was a man that bet i say ------+ i dont think so --------- and if they did. theyed have the plan to close the lake to kill all fish theyed like that so much :Angry:

jbassc
02-03-2009, 11:24 AM
i don't think its warm enough for snakeheads to survive right now. you might be mistaken. they are a tropical fish and the waters should be way too cold for them.

Tropical fish what the hell?Snakeheads are from asia there main waters are in thailand they could survive any weather.

jbassc
02-03-2009, 11:40 AM
I wouldn't doubt it to see exotic fish like Snakeheads in our waters. The reports of them from Pyramid, Skinner and Silverwood would suggest that they were introduced to these lakes through the aqueduct system.

What I have BIG PROBLEM with is any being captured alive in water temps below 65 degrees. Snakeheads cannot survive a California Winter with our water temps dropping into the low 50's or less....

....unless, of course....

Trippin' hard right now on 3 cups of jo,
'hawg

These snakeheads do not come thru the aquaduct there introduced into our waters by human hands the giant snakehead grows up to 5 feet long and has teeth like a baracuda they grow three times faster than the northern snakehead.Just a few years ago the dfg had a tip about this korean market in LA that was transporting live snakeheads from thailand they had a big raid and the market owners got busted but the main problem comes from people that want to keep them as pets but they out grow there tanks and what do they do release them anywere they can.Oh and hitts on snakeheads will tear up the stripers in a second:Slap:.

Jcco98
02-03-2009, 12:06 PM

Can we say conspiracy theory....jeez...everyone is a lurker to folks on this network.

Jcco98
02-03-2009, 12:17 PM
For those who say it is too cold for snakeheads...they certainly could occur in our waters. They are not too cold. They do not have legs (they can survive for several days on land because they can breathe atmospheric air)...they wriggle around and use their fins to move around on land. They have occurred...AND been planted in cold waters.

lurk 182
02-03-2009, 01:22 PM
so basically, we're talking wire leader for these guys and probably twenty pound main line at least. probably going to need a swivel if they roll like the kitties do. probably flyline a two pound carp slathered in Siracha.

jim532
02-03-2009, 02:36 PM
I dont know why anyone would think they can't live in socal waters because its too cold. It's February and winter hasn't even started yet.

basscatcher
02-03-2009, 08:01 PM
we should stalk them at hesperia, santa ana lakes, corana lakes, guasti, i would pay for a fight like that. 4lb line all the way:ROFL::ROFL:

God Bless

basscatcher

StriperEye
02-03-2009, 11:27 PM
Wow that is one sick fish!! I think that would trash Mr. Stripey!!

a biley
02-05-2009, 10:15 PM
oh sh**!!!! when i was about 7 years old i caught a snakehead at santa fe dam!!! i didnt know anything about those fish and what they chould do neither did my brother. so we let it back in the water =[ big mistake. sorry lol and were positive it was a snakehead we even have a pic of it still its somewhere in the garage and it was 2 pounds 7oz. well our mistake hope its not lurking somewhere in there still..

waiting on the pic...

J. Owen
02-09-2009, 03:07 PM
the only snakeheads found in california were at silverwood in 1997..
look up www.angeles.sierraclub.org/snakehead.asp

socalrippin
02-09-2009, 03:24 PM
go on youtube and look up snakehead eats lmb..... very sad, but informative. if lmb angler s saw that i guarantee they would not c&r theses fish.

Beeracuda211
02-09-2009, 04:25 PM
I can't wait to catch my first limit of snakeheads, 2015!!! LOL

EdSakabu
02-09-2009, 09:26 PM
go on youtube and look up snakehead eats lmb..... very sad, but informative. if lmb angler s saw that i guarantee they would not c&r theses fish.

They used to say the same about stipers in Castaic. They would catch them, cut their heads off and throw them back in for the catfish to eat in the late 80's early 90's.

joe man
02-13-2009, 08:46 AM
I recently watched a Discovery Channel program on the Snakehead and according to it they are in Ca waters. Just recently a fish market in the LA area was busted for bringing live snakeheads into the country.

chivo
02-13-2009, 09:37 AM
crazy looking fish man.