PDA

View Full Version : Jess: Limits no longer the norm, but more big fish

Santa Fe Eric
01-30-2009, 05:18 PM
Hello FNN/Team 57,

My boss wanted some fish because I talk about it so much, so I got the day off and went to Jess Ranch. This is my 4th trip this Trout season. Normally, I would limit out with 1.5# ers and maybe a bonus 2# kicker fish. This year it has been nothing but 1 or 2 fish stringers for me. Last year a guy could show up at 9:30 and wait at your spot because he knew you would get kicked out by 10:00 with your limit.
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk176/Santafeeric/IMG_0922.jpg
Do you remember "accidenetly" breaking that 5th fish off so you could fish just 20 minutes longer.
Well those days are over:Sad:.

The fish that have shown up this year have been monster 3-10#ers with beautiful tails.
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk176/Santafeeric/IMG_0933.jpg
But the bite has not been consistent. Today was so slow that by 11Am only about 7 people on the lake had fish according to the roving spin casters and jig fisherman. Thank the Lord, your boy Santa Fe was one of them. Here I am with my 2 fish limit! The bigger one beet my personal best Trout from 2005 at Big Bear, so I left the lake at about 1:00 a happy man.
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk176/Santafeeric/IMG_0932.jpg
I met Lloyd, a gentleman who had Rod Hawg Holders as well. he sent a shout out to Yamafish who hooked him up. Now he wants a tray like mine.
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk176/Santafeeric/IMG_0928.jpg

The only bad thing about Jess this year is that this is where I take people like my boss who don't normally fish and I used to guarantee them a great time. Thanks Jess I still love you and will be back for my 8#er.

There was a beautiful 8#er caught today on a brokeback. I love the Jess Ranch staff, which is one of the draws to this lake.

"Stay off of my spot punks" :Razz:

Seng90806
01-30-2009, 05:33 PM
nice going out there!!! so thats the hot spot :LOL:

Hitts0n
01-30-2009, 05:38 PM
Great read Eric! Those are some great looking fish coming out of there.I might hit it up next week with Man vs Wild! Good to see you out there.Look for my post about the Striper bowl tomorrow evening! Thanks for posting big homie!:Cool:

really_drunk
01-30-2009, 06:07 PM
nice report n beautiful fish.... never been to that place may have 2 hit it ^ soon

Bucket bay
01-30-2009, 06:17 PM
nice work Eric.

PureAle
01-30-2009, 06:42 PM
Those fish are indeed nice!

PureAle

jrockn
01-30-2009, 06:58 PM
nice fish! what's whith the lil girly table. lol!

CPRfisher
01-30-2009, 07:31 PM
whats up sante fe eric,

Me and sum of my friends were there today as well. It was our first time there and everybody was telling us that is is normally not that slow. we did ok though i got 4 fish from about 1lb to 3lbs. and had one break off that was around 4. my friend got a few biggest was 3.6 on digi and my other friend got a couple also biggest was 4.55 on digi. Lake is alright staff was good till the end. I got in a little argument with one of the older staff guys since it was our first time and we didn't know you had to be in your car driving away by 4pm. The guy came around on the golf cart at 3:52pm to tell us we had to pack up and be out of the lake by 4pm WOW! ok well its a 10 minute walk to the car without packing my stuff up LOL. Anyway more on that in my report but way to go on those two fish. If you stuck it out from about 230 - 330 the bite really turned on. At this time i only saw 3 people total on the lake we were fishing.

flyngby
01-30-2009, 08:42 PM
Eric,

Although it was not the norm you got on a few nice trout!!!! :Envious:

And any day out working the water is better than the other option of work!!!!:Thumbs Up:

Things have come a long way in the rod holder business since I was a die hard trout hunter back 25 years ago!!!!!:EyePop:

Steve

BingJr
01-30-2009, 11:00 PM
Beautiful fish SFE. From what I remember, those Jess fish pull nicely. Trout season has been a little bit off this year everywhere for some reason. Not really sure whats up. Maybe the economy has caused some cutbacks.

MAN VS WILD
01-31-2009, 12:06 AM
Nice job out there SFE. I love Jess Ranch. I'm trying to get HittsOn out there. I rather get 2 quality fish than 5 stockers anyday. Like CPRfisher said the bite does turn on after 2:30. You can almost spot fish for them. I like that tray for the rod holder.
I think we should set up a Team 57 day over at Jess Ranch.

FISH ON!!!

BIGRED KILLA
01-31-2009, 12:29 AM
Thanks for the pics and report Eric.

Bigred

troutdog
01-31-2009, 12:36 AM
Nice looking bows "E"....congrats on scratching some quality bows on an otherwise tough day! Thanks to you SFE, Team57 0wned Jess! Keep the fish tales coming buddy.

TD

paDDy
01-31-2009, 08:43 AM
Nice job Eric! Those trout look nice!

Trout Nine
01-31-2009, 12:35 PM
SFE,
Nice going out there! those are some nice fish WTG!

yamafish
01-31-2009, 01:14 PM
Nice report and pics E!
You stayed on lake 2 most of the day?
Ya ran into Lloyd! He's a really cool guy!
I'll get him the trays that he wants soon

How is Theresa doing up there? LF and I haven't been up there in awhile.. Promoting these rodholders has us running around ea weekend :Shocked:

Enjoyed the read and pics..
For sure my favorite fishing spot!

Rodger - YamaFish

dirty girl
01-31-2009, 01:22 PM
sweeet! thanks for sharing your report and great pictures!
keepin it dirty,
Dirty Girl

olfishergal
01-31-2009, 01:37 PM
very cool SE.........I will try that place sometime, looks like clean place to fish, just one long haul for me

sansou
01-31-2009, 02:06 PM
Congrats on the big trout and PB!

Dissapointed though that we didn't get treated to a little Santa Fe style "something something" as far as a "rap report" is concerned. C'mon man! That trout smashed your 2005 PB!!

Take care!

Sansou

ghetto dad
01-31-2009, 03:03 PM
Great job E!! Thanks for the report

GD

Striper Bill
01-31-2009, 08:17 PM
Very nice!

Troutman65
01-31-2009, 09:47 PM
Nice going Eric. I always like to read your reports:Big Grin:

Mr Bendo
01-31-2009, 10:02 PM
Eric, nice job!!!!!!!!! Wish I was there jigging!!!!!!!! By the way I know that spot very well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CASTAWAY
02-01-2009, 08:40 AM
Nice... Those rod holders look pretty sweet.... :Cool:

Santa Fe Eric
02-01-2009, 11:32 AM
nice going out there!!! so thats the hot spot :LOL:
Mos' Def Seng! Looking forward to some great Panfish reports and I hope I get a few slabs too!

Great read Eric! Those are some great looking fish coming out of there.I might hit it up next week with Man vs Wild! Good to see you out there.Look for my post about the Striper bowl tomorrow evening! Thanks for posting big homie!:Cool:
Thanks Hitts! I'm looking for your report/video/production! See you in the Sierras!

nice report n beautiful fish.... never been to that place may have 2 hit it ^ soon
It is a calm/quiet place, which is what I need at the end of the week!

nice work Eric.
Bucket bay Fo'Sheezy. Thanks Bro!

Those fish are indeed nice!

PureAle
Thanks PA, I think my boss will enjoy them. They made some nice fillets!

nice fish! what's whith the lil girly table. lol!
:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:
I love my lil girly table! A lot of MEN want these tables. I got the first one sold in retail!

whats up sante fe eric,

Me and sum of my friends were there today as well. It was our first time there and everybody was telling us that is is normally not that slow. we did ok though i got 4 fish from about 1lb to 3lbs. and had one break off that was around 4. my friend got a few biggest was 3.6 on digi and my other friend got a couple also biggest was 4.55 on digi. Lake is alright staff was good till the end. I got in a little argument with one of the older staff guys since it was our first time and we didn't know you had to be in your car driving away by 4pm. The guy came around on the golf cart at 3:52pm to tell us we had to pack up and be out of the lake by 4pm WOW! ok well its a 10 minute walk to the car without packing my stuff up LOL. Anyway more on that in my report but way to go on those two fish. If you stuck it out from about 230 - 330 the bite really turned on. At this time i only saw 3 people total on the lake we were fishing.
Waiting for the report Bro! Yeah! They get a little upset when people aren't out of the gates by 4PM.

Eric,

Although it was not the norm you got on a few nice trout!!!! :Envious:

And any day out working the water is better than the other option of work!!!!:Thumbs Up:

Things have come a long way in the rod holder business since I was a die hard trout hunter back 25 years ago!!!!!:EyePop:

Steve
Most definitely Steve! I can't wait till it warms up just a bit so I can get on those Bay fish!

Beautiful fish SFE. From what I remember, those Jess fish pull nicely. Trout season has been a little bit off this year everywhere for some reason. Not really sure whats up. Maybe the economy has caused some cutbacks.

They do pull nicely! Last time one of these fish snapped my 2# P-Line Cxx
See you out in the community!

God Bless!
Santa Fe Eric

Santa Fe Eric
02-01-2009, 11:46 AM
Nice job out there SFE. I love Jess Ranch. I'm trying to get HittsOn out there. I rather get 2 quality fish than 5 stockers anyday. Like CPRfisher said the bite does turn on after 2:30. You can almost spot fish for them. I like that tray for the rod holder.
I think we should set up a Team 57 day over at Jess Ranch.

FISH ON!!!
I hope to see you guys out there! Nice work at Corona/SARL last week!

Thanks for the pics and report Eric.

Bigred
Thanks Big Red! It was great getting out!

Nice looking bows "E"....congrats on scratching some quality bows on an otherwise tough day! Thanks to you SFE, Team57 0wned Jess! Keep the fish tales coming buddy.

TD
TD! What's Up Baby! Jess Ranch is my Pay lake for Trout! When kitty season comes, I will visit the lake that you Own much more often. Plus, I hear this guy named Aaron bakes really great cookies in the summer!

Nice job Eric! Those trout look nice!
Good Lookin' Out Paddy!

SFE,
Nice going out there! those are some nice fish WTG!
T-Nine! What Up Homie! I appreciate the props bro!

Nice report and pics E!
You stayed on lake 2 most of the day?
Ya ran into Lloyd! He's a really cool guy!
I'll get him the trays that he wants soon

How is Theresa doing up there? LF and I haven't been up there in awhile.. Promoting these rodholders has us running around ea weekend :Shocked:

Enjoyed the read and pics..
For sure my favorite fishing spot!

Rodger - YamaFish
I have not seen Teresa since the big rains and snow in early December!
Stop promoting and get on some fish! At Santa Fe Dam, I had a 5 minute conversation with the DFG offcier who said they were the coolest pole holders he seen! Plus he liked the tray!

sweeet! thanks for sharing your report and great pictures!
keepin it dirty,
Dirty Girl
Thanks for keepin' it dirty, DG!

very cool SE.........I will try that place sometime, looks like clean place to fish, just one long haul for me
I think that you would like this place Chris! No boats allowed though only shore fishing.

Congrats on the big trout and PB!

Dissapointed though that we didn't get treated to a little Santa Fe style "something something" as far as a "rap report" is concerned. C'mon man! That trout smashed your 2005 PB!!

Take care!

Sansou
I thought about it, but I couldn't get inspired enough to write lyrics. If I could have fininshed with a limit of one pounders even then I would have felt the inspiration. See ya buddy!

Great job E!! Thanks for the report

GD
GD! You are one cool and class act. The only thing that has kept me from fishing trying to fish with you is "Motion Sickness". You are one of the key people that make this site fun!

Very nice!

Nice going Eric. I always like to read your reports:Big Grin:
Thanks Patrick! You are the man and I look forward to wetting a line with you!

Eric, nice job!!!!!!!!! Wish I was there jigging!!!!!!!! By the way I know that spot very well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Indeed! Indeed! Indeed!The Jess misses you!

Nice... Those rod holders look pretty sweet.... :Cool:
Thanks Amigo! They function well too! See them at SARL soon!

God Bless!
Santa Fe Eric

Santa Fe Eric
02-01-2009, 11:49 AM
Very nice!
Striper Bill! You are the man and your website is quite informative!

Eric

steve092
02-01-2009, 12:11 PM
Thanks for the report.