PDA

View Full Version : Waders versus Shore Fishing

ctrujillo45
01-30-2009, 04:48 PM
Hi Guys,

I just purchased my first pair of new waders (Wadelite Breathable Stocking Foot). I am eager to get out to the Sierras to do some fishing. I guess my questions is what places are appropriate to use your waders? I know it sounds like a dumb question, but are there certain places you highly suggest using waders versus shore fishing? Any recommended locations will help.

When in the sierras, I generally shore fish Owens River, Convict Lake, Intake II, June Lake, Gull Lake and Silver Lake. I have always generally fished from the shore, even when fly fishing. What are the best places to actually use your waders and get in the action to get some fish?

Sorry for the noob question, but I figure I would never know unless I asked.....

Sierra_Smitty
01-30-2009, 05:33 PM
Anytime you're fishing a stream or river, it's a good idea to wear waders. Waders give you a tremendous advantage in positioning yourself where the fish can't see you and where you can get the best drift. You can also access areas which shore anglers can't touch because the shoreline is overgrown by willows or other bushes.

Shallow weir ponds or beaver ponds (like we have in the Bishop Creek area) are practically unfishable without waders so that is another time you'll want to bring them.

I can't see waders doing you a whole lot of good at most of the larger lakes in the Sierra.....never hurts to bring them I suppose but I can't imagine wearing them would help much.

That's my two cents.

Smitty

billy b
01-30-2009, 06:54 PM
... so I dont' have a clue. But, I wondered why it wouldn't help to wade out in places from the shore, so you can cast out further? June Lake beach comes to mind. I believe my buddy uses them to wade out from shore at some of the Mammoth Lakes

Joshua
01-30-2009, 09:09 PM
Waders are primarily for "wading" strream sand rivers and for use while float tubing. Although there may be instances in some lakes where waders may give you an advantage. I think Smitty explained that

There is one concern with breathable waders. And that is death from drowning. If you take a spill they are prone to taking in water> That is why they give you a waist belt with them. Make sure you wear it. Neopreme waders dont have that problem. They are actually a little bouyant and help you float.

I personally wet wade. That is a pair of swim trunks and a quality pair of wading boots with my neopreme booties. It may look a little strange. But I have the freedom to wade into the water without concern of filling my waders with water. If the conditions are really cold, then a pair of waders are the ticket. Neopreme are harder to get on and off but are more durable than breathable. If you are doing the Sierra bushwacking then breathable arent going to last long.
If you are fishing the Upper Owens where is it open grassy area then breathable are the way to go. You can wear multiple layers under breathable where as neopreme are pretty snug fit.

mth1997
01-30-2009, 09:33 PM
Also be aware that some waters in the Sierras and elsewhere are New Zealand mudsnail positive. If you wade in a NZMS positive water, be sure not to carry the little buggers to other waters that do not have them by freezing your waders and boots or washing them with hot water. They can be tiny and hide in the nooks and crannies of clothing and shoes.

Sierra_Smitty
01-30-2009, 09:49 PM
Also be aware that some waters in the Sierras and elsewhere are New Zealand mudsnail positive. If you wade in a NZMS positive water, be sure not to carry the little buggers to other waters that do not have them by freezing your waders and boots or washing them with hot water. They can be tiny and hide in the nooks and crannies of clothing and shoes.

Great point!

diamondbear
01-31-2009, 03:36 PM
Waders are a good idea to have just INCASE , I fish a spot in the upper twin lks. Bridgeport lks. inlet and the Rock Creek lk. and that waders is a very good way to fish these spots . JUST BE CAREFUL .

tacklejunkie
02-02-2009, 08:56 PM
Waders are good at lakes if you fly fish.
Gives you more clearance from shoreline and trees on your back cast in addition to some of the other mention reasons like casting farther.

Be careful wading in the Owens. It's much more powerful and deep in some places than it may seem. I was swept down stream into a deep pocket my first time wading there. That can turn in to a dangerous situation quick.