PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting the cast control knob

jim532
01-30-2009, 09:13 AM
I've heard 2 different stories from all different sources on how you should adjust the cast control knob. here's what i've heard..

1) adjust it so when you press the thumb bar and the lure begins to fall it just barely falls.

2) adjust it so when you press the thumb bar and let the lure drop straight down the spool stops spinning when the lure hits the surface of the water.

I've tried it both ways and have seen others doing it both ways.

Which is the right way, or is there another way?

cappo
01-30-2009, 09:23 AM
I dont think there is a right or a wrong way. I've also tried both ways. Its just a matter of preference. You just have to train your thumb to apply pressure at the correct time.

HEMAN
01-30-2009, 09:25 AM
i'm not sure. but i adjust it so that as the lure is falling.. from the tip. it's fairly fast if its a non windy day... but a little tighter if its windier...

not sure what's right either...

DarkShadow
01-30-2009, 09:52 AM
Yeah, there is no right way. As your thumb becomes more trained, the lighter the cast control should get.

Fish enough and you won't need much tension at all; your thumb will be able to adjust for any type of condition.

That Dang Guy
01-30-2009, 12:52 PM
As everyone has said, it mainly really depends on your experience, but i see it in three stages.

Stage 1: After clicking the thumb bar, there is a slight delay before the lure starts moving.

Stage 2: After clicking the thumb bar, the lure starts to drop immediately, but stops as it hits the water. Work your way down in tension as you get confortable. It doesn't have to stop immediately when it hits the water. One additional spool rotation is okay.

Stage 3: Just enough spool tension to keep the spool from moving side to side.

HBJapo
01-30-2009, 01:52 PM
As stated, there is quite a bit of personal preference to the technique. I do not use a reel with cast control, just spool tension, I'm pretty old school. My spool tension control is generally set pretty loose as I have never used the "lure drop" method. My first cast always needs to be a clean one because within' 1 or 2 adjustments I will have adjusted to the lure weight as I throw it. I like to adjust on the fly and have never had any difficulty.

I believe that the key to the technique, with or without cast control, is to learn how to feather the lure so your entrance into the water is smooth, not like you just threw a rock.

Japo :Envious:

Nessie Hunter
01-30-2009, 02:57 PM
Yeah, there is no right way. As your thumb becomes more trained, the lighter the cast control should get.

Fish enough and you won't need much tension at all; your thumb will be able to adjust for any type of condition.

Ditto...

I think its just a starting point to learn baitcasting or with a new Reel/lure...

Once you learn and get a little time with it..
You will be throwing it "wide open" (no brakes or cast control) and doing all your adjusting with thumb pressure.....

lurk 182
01-30-2009, 09:12 PM
i like it loose enough that the spool will barely wiggle back and forth horizontally, so basically no cast control. its just a crutch anyway. i leave the brakes the way they come from the factory (shimanos-2 brakes on/4 off). if i tried to let the lure drop until it hit the water i'd have a huge backlash, its way too loose for that, but you'll never be able to cast very far with that thing on that tight. if your casts seem to go left a lot (and you're right handed) the cast control is screwed down too tight.