PDA

View Full Version : Irvine 1/29 Fish tale....... kinda

mdttb
01-30-2009, 09:07 AM
Read on

Me and my dad went to Irvine on Thrusday. My first trip to the vine this year and my dad's first trip there in about 16 or 17 years. Of course we had to pick a day that the winds would kick up but I wanted to go any way as we put the trip off a few times this year already. We got to the lake around 6/6:15 am after running late because my dad ran late looking for the pole holders which I had from last years trip when I went with my son and his uncle.
Hit the tackle store at the lake paid our dues and grabbed some nightcrawlers. I wanted to get a spot on trout Island but because we ran late we ended up getting a spot just south of the point in a little cove right by the storage boat dock. Baited up with power bait and tossed out our lines.

Then the wind started up, it got bad a few times as the day went on I was glad we got that spot as I was watching the guys on the point get hammered from the wind and you could hear the wind howling on the other side of the hill just behind us. First hook up came at around 9 am which my dad farmed the trout it jumped a good 2 or 3 feet out of the water.

As the day went on I thought we were gonna get shunked first time at Irvine ever. People were moving around trying to catch some fish 3 different people tried the spot next to us then around noon a couple of guys pulled in casted out far an started nailing the trout. We added some heavier weight to our rigs and waited and waited. At 1 pm I nailed my first trout which was a steelhead about a pound and a half. Threw him on the stringer and tossed him out in the lake.

Re-baited my pole tossed it out and before I could set the bail I got a hit which I missed, set the bail and watched the pole then all of a sudden a big gust of wind came up and heard the net fall down which I leaned up against the tire on my dad's truck. My tackle box was right next to it. Turned back to my pole to watch it and hear the net again thinking it was the wind again I turned and saw some thing in the net flopping around thinking I didnt put the fish I caught earlier onto the stringer I rushed up to the truck and the net on my way there I remembered I did put the trout on the stringer ! Picked the net up which was now partly under the truck I grab the handle and pull the net out from under the truck and there's a SQURRIEL in the net ! LOL He got tangled up in the net trying to rob some thing (bait I guess) from my tackle box. That was a good laugh !

Back to fishing about 30 minutes later I see the bobber I had on my pole go up (no wind) ran over set the hook thinking I got a fish instead it turns out I landed a coot ! The coot hit my nightcrawler I reeled it in so I could remove the hook. The coot fought better then the first trout I caught at first the coot was fighting me then it just relaxed and I reeled him in got him to the store yelled for my dad to bring the needle nose pliers so I could remove my hook but the coot sallowed the hook good. I cut the line as close as I could to it's beak and set it loose. Again another good laugh ! Well not for the coot I was what the heck do I do ?

Back to fishing again at about 2 pm me and my dad are talking and one of his poles gets a hit he sets the hook and runs uphill the line goes slack I said you farmed another he says no I didn't look I turned and see he's still got him turns out to be about the same size mine was a pound and a half or so. Nice colored trout turned out to be a Brook trout. At 3 pm I get another hit set the hook and battle him for a few minutes he runs then gets tangled up in some thing around the storage boat dock. I could feel him on the pole tugging but I'm to hung up on what ever I snagged gave it some slack a few times hoping the fish would unsnagged its self but that didn't happen. Farmed him :( Rest of the day nothing, wind was blowing to hard to see if one had a bite and we called it a day at 3:45pm.

Over the cousre of the day where we were we saw about 14-18 trout caught including ours.

MAVERICK27
01-30-2009, 09:25 AM
Thanks for the detailed report! That spot you were in is good, cast FAR! Unfortunately the trout do not like the wind (i'm sure you weren't a big fan either). You still caught fish and had fun with family. That is what counts! Keep on truckin.

Daryl
01-30-2009, 09:29 AM
Nice report. Glad to hear you beat the skunk.

calico killer kevin
01-30-2009, 03:25 PM
If the spot doesn't pan out. Move.
That is a pretty decent spot though.
I always catch them very close to the
boat dock.

mdttb
01-31-2009, 07:25 AM
Kevin
If the wind wasn't blowing we would have moved. That spot kinda shielded us from some of the winds. Alot of people where moving around so we elected to stay put. Some even left because of the wind. I'm planing on heading to the vine again some time next week. At one point the guys that were on the point were getting hammered by the winds yet it hardly had any effect where we were at.

BanginBob
01-31-2009, 10:30 AM
I give all you props for battling the wind! I was working on this day, but in Irvine the wind was howling 20+

Any day at the lake is better than a good day at work!

BB