PDA

View Full Version : What Have You Lost Overboard ?

JapanRon
01-30-2009, 09:06 AM
Hi guys,

Yes, yes .... in California.. that's proper form and used by and for either gender. I digress. Thought FNN members might enjoy my lame effort at humor..... and a serious question.

As my el cheapo 99 cent reading glasses were flying off my face from a boat going around 9 knots in the chop and wind blowing about 15, I could only laugh and say to a rail-buddy ..... well that's never happened to me before!! Yea ... Right !! Got me thinking.

Figured this might be a fun topic. Non-boaters are not specifically excluded as 'overboard' can be taken figuratively as well as literally! So fess up and entertain the readership with your losses ... be they big or small !! WHAT HAVE YOU LOST OVERBOARD ?

Besides my cheapo glasses, I don't take needlenose to the rail. I seem to always manage to lose them over the side. I tried buying yard-sale models for a quarter a pop but they went over just as fast as the new ones !

Techniques:
1) Laying them on top of the rail.
2) Putting them down on the gunnels of open-rail boats.
3) Carrying them in a jacket with shallow pockets.
4) Lending them to a buddy.

Advanced Techniques:
1) Handing them to someone.
2) Having a fish shake violently knocking them from your hand.
3) Putting them in a pocket and having the rail or other thing apply leverage or catch them causing them to fall out.
4) Dropping them on the deck and having either oneself or others in the heat of battle kick them through the scupper ... that just happens to be RIGHT there !!

PS Your breakfast or lunch DOES NOT count !!
PS2 I have done all of the above !!
tsurikichi

cappo
01-30-2009, 09:26 AM
I've lost sunglasses twice in one trip, dont know why i had a spare that day. Do fish count?

Cangler
01-30-2009, 09:31 AM
Good thread topic !!

My wife has this recurring nightmare that i have forgoten my teeth
when i go to the CI ..

I've lost a $500 watch overboard when the strap broke , but my
home insurance covered it ..

deanhall32
01-30-2009, 09:33 AM
I was taking a leak at Lake Hodges years ago ( yes, I know it is a drinking water lake ) off the back of a bass boat when my watch decided to pop off my wrist and fall into the water. It seemed like slow motion as I watched it twirl in a downward spiral to the lakes bottom.

FISH_HUNTER
01-30-2009, 09:37 AM
A long time ago lost my dikes (channel locks) not the cheap junk that rusts shut after 2 trips :Angry:. And 2 summer's ago a nice St. Croix/Spriex out fit @ Bridgeport. My brother and I where flyling NC's and I flipped my offering out and "set" the rod down but I guess I had it on the "wrong angle"?.....went to reach for my brew and I hear a splash :Shocked::Evil: and my Bro (older) is :ROFL::ROFL:

LunkerLover
01-30-2009, 10:07 AM
SAME trip :mad: ... 3 days on Lake Naciemento :mad:... all of the following went over the side:
Brand new Ugly Stick with a Quannum bait caster :Evil:
Zippo lighter my Grandpa gave me YEARS ago :mad:
$30 Castaic Platinum fast-sinking rainbow swim bait :mad:

DavidE
01-30-2009, 10:09 AM
I lost a pair of shades over the rail at the bait barge a couple years back. Leaned over to tie her off and looked down and off they came and down they went.

Years ago when I was about 7 or 8 I was used to lake fishing I guess so I set the set up I was using (my uncles) up against the rail on his 18ft Starcraft center console. Well this was the late 70's when there were still big fish on the horseshoe and you guessed it. Something big hit my chovie and splash there went one of my uncles rigs. Don't know what it was for sure but I would bet it was a Sabre/Penn combo.

CraigH
01-30-2009, 10:10 AM
I had a watch go flying off my wrist into the water while throwing iron several years ago.

I also saw someone else lose an expensive spinning setup overboard at Big Bear while trolling in a 14 ft boat with an electric motor. They set it down in the boat so they could take a whiz over the side and happened to hook up. The rod went over the side before they could zip up and get it.

HESBROS
01-30-2009, 10:10 AM
I have a couple.
1. I was trying to get a sculpin off a lead head with a pair of dikes, the fish started thrashing so I threw the Dikes and fish back in the ocean, not on purpose but as a natural reaction?

2. Sweatshirts left on the bow of the boat after stopping to fish, then at 30 mph they fly up and over the windshield, by the time we turn and go back, they are gone.

3. My bro and I were drifting for Halibut in Dana Point on our boat, I was on the bow and he was at the stern, he had his halibut set up leaning against the rail and throwing a swimbait with another rod. His clicker made a couple clicks and we both looked at the rod, then it stopped and we looked at each other, then we both looked at the rod and it went bendo, then it was teatering on the rail, and we both just looked at each other, in aww I guess, but niether of went to grab the rod, then in a flash, or a splash, it was gone never to be seen again.....it was actually pretty funny!

Ricky-Ray
01-30-2009, 10:53 AM
Well let's see:

A set of dykes, a pair of sunglasses and my fishing license at San Clemente Island. Also my Newell 440 "volunteered" to learn how to swim here also.

Another pair of sunglasses and a burger at Catalina.

2 pairs of Sunglasses at Guadalupe Island along with a screwdriver.

Gosh know's how many irons to the kelp paddies.

A ton of lead to the rocks.

LA Smoker
01-30-2009, 11:30 AM
Some Newbie was casting his spinning gear aboard a chartered Native Sun trip and accidentally snagged my Calcutta 80MH paired with Calcutta 400bsv (which was sitting flush in the rod holder) and flung it over the rail. Still havent received a check...

fish_sauce
01-30-2009, 12:14 PM
Some Newbie was casting his spinning gear aboard a chartered Native Sun trip and accidentally snagged my Calcutta 80MH paired with Calcutta 400bsv (which was sitting flush in the rod holder) and flung it over the rail. Still havent received a check...

that must totally suck!!! :Sad:

while fighting tuna during a wide open tuna bite, my buddy got his torium 20/calstar rod knocked cleanly out of his hands by a newbie who didn't know how to shuffle and follow his fish...

SOSO
01-31-2009, 04:31 AM
Not on a boat, but on a jetty, whole set of keys fell out of my jacket pocket into the cracks of the rocks, then into the ocean. It happened in 2 seconds flat, but felt like an hour as i watched the keys go into the water. Set included, 2 different auto keys (total $400.00), thankfully i didn't drive. House keys (couldn't get in till late evening), and office keys ($35.00). Total $435.00 plus. and no Halibut... Went back to same spot a year later, caught a legal Halibut with my new set of keys clipped & secured to my jacket and the middle finger...The end.

Ifishtoolittle
01-31-2009, 10:43 AM
Hi guys,

Yes, yes .... in California.. that's proper form and used by and for either gender. I digress. Thought FNN members might enjoy my lame effort at humor..... and a serious question.

As my el cheapo 99 cent reading glasses were flying off my face from a boat going around 9 knots in the chop and wind blowing about 15, I could only laugh and say to a rail-buddy ..... well that's never happened to me before!! Yea ... Right !! Got me thinking.

Figured this might be a fun topic. Non-boaters are not specifically excluded as 'overboard' can be taken figuratively as well as literally! So fess up and entertain the readership with your losses ... be they big or small !! WHAT HAVE YOU LOST OVERBOARD ?

Besides my cheapo glasses, I don't take needlenose to the rail. I seem to always manage to lose them over the side. I tried buying yard-sale models for a quarter a pop but they went over just as fast as the new ones !

Techniques:
1) Laying them on top of the rail.
2) Putting them down on the gunnels of open-rail boats.
3) Carrying them in a jacket with shallow pockets.
4) Lending them to a buddy.

Advanced Techniques:
1) Handing them to someone.
2) Having a fish shake violently knocking them from your hand.
3) Putting them in a pocket and having the rail or other thing apply leverage or catch them causing them to fall out.
4) Dropping them on the deck and having either oneself or others in the heat of battle kick them through the scupper ... that just happens to be RIGHT there !!

PS Your breakfast or lunch DOES NOT count !!
PS2 I have done all of the above !!
tsurikichi

:LOL:

The only thing I've ever lost overboard is a huge Longfin!

That Dang Guy
01-31-2009, 12:14 PM
I've had some funny encounters, but one incident stands out above the rest.

We were fishing on the backside of Catalina looking for some early morning Seabass that didn't really pan out. We headed to some rockfishing near eagle point in 250+ water. A buddy of mine sent down a dropper loop setup on straight 17lb mono on a Shimano cardiff baitcaster. He promptly got stuck in the rocks during a pretty decent drift. He kept winding on it and winding on it. He shook it, bounced it and tried everything to get it out to no avail.

In his last ditch effort, he tightened up his drag to try to break it off. As anyone knows..well obviously not this guy, fishing that deep on mono it's nearly impossible to break off line with just the rod. You have grab the line and pop it off. So he tried pointing the rod at it, grinding up all the slack and held the spool with his thumb trying to pop it off. At this point, I had enough of the comedy and started to come over to try to help him. As i reached for his pole, i told him to let it go...as in put it in freespool and give it some slack. For some reason, he just let go of the pole. My hand wasn't even near his gear yet and the line was so tight and stretched that it shot like a rocket into the ocean. I swear to god, i've never seen anything move so fast. LOL. All you could see was a tiny stream of bubbles following it down into the depths. There was no slash as the pole entered the water.

To this day, we still rag on him about it. It made a slow day on the water all that more fun. =D

bergie berg
01-31-2009, 12:35 PM
My mom and I were wakeboarding/waterskiing in tahoe and she lost her ring, luckily it was tahoe and the water was crystal clear and only about 15 ft deep (in that area). Guess who had to dive in and get it.

olfishergal
01-31-2009, 12:38 PM
When I was a kid, my grandpa used to take me to a lake up north of here. Not sure where it was cuz I was pretty young. (Cachuma or Piru more than likely). I know I lost his favorite pliers overboard and he was giving me chit about it. He yelled at me so hard his dentures popped out of his mouth and dropped in the water never to be seen again.......funny, he never ragged on me again about his pliers going overboard. And yes, this is a true story. OFG
ON a sidenote, my auntie was coming back from Vegas years ago on a tour bus and was partying pretty heavy. She got sick and stuck her head out the window, upchucked along with her dentures. She went and got new ones when she got home.

bergie berg
01-31-2009, 12:42 PM
Have any of you guys ever snagged and reeled up some long lost treasure? Once in Newport harbor I hooked and landed an ancient spinning rod.

That Dang Guy
01-31-2009, 12:53 PM
We took my uncle fishing once at Lake Skinner. He brought some old spinning reel from what looked like the late 80's that grinded louder than hell. No amount of beer could drown out that grinding. It looked like he took some braided line off his offshore rig and put it on it. He couldn't catch anything on it and refused to use any of our gear. My bro snagged up some ugly stick shimano combo from the depths. It was in complete working order and still worked perfectly. It didn't grind and the line still looked rather new. Instantly my uncle claim it, rigged it up and caught a striper and a catfish.

Moral of the story. Bring more beer. Seriously.

CraigH
01-31-2009, 01:15 PM
I snagged and reeled up a zebco push button reel and rod one day at big bear. We were fishing from a boat and the rod/reel was about 25 yds off shore and pointed to deeper water. It was rigged for catfish so we figured someone had been fishing from shore and it got pulled in to the water by a fish. I gave it to my neighbor's nephew and it worked fine after he cleaned it up.

exfactor
01-31-2009, 05:07 PM
I've lost my lunch overboard a few times!!!!!! My son misbehaved once and I threw him overboard. Let's see, anchors, dikes, jewelry, lobsters on the outside of the net, sunglasses, rods, used condoms, eh, can't think of anything else at the moment, but I'm sure there's more.

socalrippin
02-01-2009, 11:03 AM
haha when i was younger my uncle managed to overturn his 14" alluminum boat losing everything in it!!!! tackle box, fishing poles, kids etc.....

Jikser
02-01-2009, 11:50 PM
(2) Oakley Gascans, (6) ballcaps, a few dikes, avet/seeker and saltist/trevala setups.

I now wear $15 polarized shades from am/pm. Dikes, pliers and outfits leashed when yak or skifishing.

JusStartnOut
02-02-2009, 07:25 AM
It was not me but i was on the boat. A buddy lost his trolling motor. It is now at the bottom of Grant Lake. LOL

chris
02-02-2009, 08:58 AM
I got married 2 years ago and told my wife I wouldn't wear the ring, jewelry gets in the way and slips and what not. She said don't be ridiculous and wear the ring. I bet it wouldn't last 6 months. She won it fell off my finger at san clemente pier while hooping with my son, 6 months and 6 hours later....doh

I threw my 80 dollar leatherman over with a handful of chum fishing perch in newport,

Lost a nice ,big landing net off the top of my buddies t-top when his incorrectly installed trim tabs started to rock us back and forth

Left a lucanus jig in my tackle bag on the pursuit and some low life borrowed it without returning it or asking (okay they stole it).

I don't know how many bait knives but I buy them by the dozen now

I haven't lost anything i can remember in my new boat but a hat when i was seeing what 150 horses did on flat open water:Cart:

Frenchy
02-03-2009, 04:49 PM
ive lsot 3 ipods

3 expensive sungluess

oooooo and my lunch once it was really rough

atfish
02-04-2009, 04:01 PM
Ive done that...
My anchor...it wasnt tied off.

Not on a boat, but on a jetty, whole set of keys fell out of my jacket pocket into the cracks of the rocks, then into the ocean. It happened in 2 seconds flat, but felt like an hour as i watched the keys go into the water. Set included, 2 different auto keys (total $400.00), thankfully i didn't drive. House keys (couldn't get in till late evening), and office keys ($35.00). Total $435.00 plus. and no Halibut... Went back to same spot a year later, caught a legal Halibut with my new set of keys clipped & secured to my jacket and the middle finger...The end.

MAVERICK27
02-04-2009, 05:01 PM
I used to keep my nets on my bimini top so you can grab it from bow or stern. Well I kept forgetting them when I moved spots :(

Also baskets full of my hard earned limits and one stringer....I constantly forget to pull the fish in :(

The worst is, on the way to the lake, losing my custom bow cover and two West Marine $200 life vests, nice felt lined with pockets and embroidered emblems...the same morning my 5 gallon bucket flew out also and I dragged it for miles...stopped, put it back in and then proceeded to use it to slow my troll speed all day and caught trout trolling haha....Morale of that story, the bucket slows you in the water, but doesn't slow a Nissan Titan on the 241 Toll Road :)

willis949
02-21-2009, 05:59 PM
I have lost plenty but I was fishing the Coral Street dock on B.I. and I hooked some line and I always pull what I can so its not in the water and this had a broken Shimano rod and a Calcutta reel.I cleaned the reel up and used it for about a year and was on the backside of Catalina catching nice Calicos and got a birdsnest.While I am trying to see which way to get it loose it tightens up in a millisecond and jumps out of my hand landing about four feet away.I start to get my shoes and license off to jump in and it takes off through the kelp.Oh well it was free and caught alot of fish.

DEADROOTS
02-21-2009, 09:12 PM
Pliers, spinner baits, weights, hooks, hat, snack wrappers, shoe string, dental string and managed to pull a hamstring...:Shocked::Dead Horse::ROFL:

go fish
02-22-2009, 12:13 AM
I was at Irvine with a friend he had to go to the john so we went to the dock while he was gone his brand new rod and reel he was so proud of hit the boat next to me when a wake came and off it went.He was so angry when he got back he said it was my fault but he put that rod where it was.Then about 4 Hours later we were by the dock and he caught his rod unbeliveable.Other than that I have lost many knives pliers sinkers hooks screwdrivers velcro ties.When there is a hot bite and I,m trying to hurry is when most items are lost.I would have to say the worst thing to lose is a cold beer very sad indeed!