PDA

View Full Version : Need a new deck

Liteliner
06-11-2007, 12:52 AM
Any suggestions on how to redo a deck??? They easiest way possible but also the right way.......

grimpy
06-11-2007, 02:22 PM
try the forums at iboats.com

POSTAL
06-28-2007, 11:16 PM
what type of boat I have done many before

Liteliner
08-08-2007, 11:10 PM
its a reinell. I tore out everything up to the cabin. Maybe that was a bad idea but the foam was just saturated with water and all the wood was rotten. So now im kind of lost. I'll post some picks tomorrow if any of you have any suggestions. Thanks.

Tail Chaser
08-09-2007, 10:14 PM
If theres a few inchs of strong glass/wood decking left around the parimeter of the hull. Take some new plywood,cut to size.Then glass/resin over it for water proofing. Screw it down with some stainless wood screws. Then glass the new decking to the side of the hull. Theres a epoxy called marine tex. Super strong stuff. Maybe use that between whats left of old decking and the new deck.
Lowes/Depot has exspanding foam insulation. Drill a 1/4 in hole in the new deck, and spray that stuff in.
Did my bros boat. Cut out floors, new stringers, pulled gas tank. new deck,foam, Stronger then new.

Liteliner
08-12-2007, 01:32 PM
Heres some pics of my project baby. Lots of work. What kind of foam do you think I should use. The liquid or the spray on. The spray on is 300 bucks though. Is it better????

Liteliner
08-12-2007, 01:36 PM
Heres the pics of my tore up deck.... Its ugly now but hoping I can turn it into a fine *** fishing machine.

Liteliner
08-12-2007, 02:06 PM
Hey broken rod. Do you think marine tex will be able to patch up this hole on the underside of the boat. Its about the size of a dime.

seahonk
08-13-2007, 12:39 AM
Hey liteliner looks like you got your self a little project , Its realy not all that hard , But may i sujest you look at that gas tank you dont want to glass the new floor in and have that gas tank leak in the future .

Tail Chaser
08-19-2007, 01:06 PM
Hey broken rod. Do you think marine tex will be able to patch up this hole on the underside of the boat. Its about the size of a dime.
If you could get to the hole from the inside,I would lay some glass on the inside. Then some marine tex on the outside. Always clean and roughin up the old fibreglass before laying new glass down. Looks like you could glass in new stringers 2x6? or 2x8 lumber.Whatever it takes for the new deck to lay flat on top of the stringers. That would make the hull stronger and give the new floor support in the center. Need to measure and cut stringers carefully so the new deck will lay flat.The spray foam at Home Depot was like 3.00 bucks a can. Maybe could buy some chunks of foam, Then fill in the rest with the depot stuff.Carefull that stuff really expands.

Should pull the tank and check for corrision like the other FNN member said. Theres a company http://www.americantanks.net That lots of people use for there custom fuel tanks. Theres a coating you can buy that stops any corrosion on the tanks Read about the company and coating from preivious post on line.

Have fun

Tail Chaser
08-19-2007, 01:22 PM
Looking at the pics. I see theres a good base around the hull sides for the new deck to sit on.Glass in the new stringers. 3M 5200 marine chaulking.
(Stuff is Permanent) For the deck, use some stainless screws to hold the new deck down tight. You can get the 5200 for a chaulking gun at the depot. Takes like 5 days for it to dry. Lots of working time 8)
Make sure every thing being bonded is very clean and rough for really good permanent bond