PDA

View Full Version : Alpers are one the way!!!!

Sierra_Smitty
01-29-2009, 08:54 AM
Just an fyi for you guys....

Alpers will be stocking PVR and the Lower Owens beginning next week and that will continue through opening day. It's already excellent trophy fishing up here with the DFG brooders, now it's going to be just plain silly!!!!

See you guys out there!

Smitty

tpfishnfool
01-29-2009, 12:26 PM
Thanks Smitty ! How is the weather up at South Lake ? Can't wait for spring and the early season trout when the lake thaws.

Sierra_Smitty
01-29-2009, 12:40 PM
Thanks Smitty ! How is the weather up at South Lake ? Can't wait for spring and the early season trout when the lake thaws.

Thankfully I have a place in town so I don't have to live in the weather near South Lake this time of year! lol!!!! Given the weather in Bishop it's probably in the 40's during the day and in the teens at night....and probably windy. We need more snow so cross your fingers.

Sh1mano
01-29-2009, 03:38 PM
HELL YEAH!!!!!! Thanks for the update!

kewlwhip
01-30-2009, 01:10 PM
thats awesome...hope to make it out there pretty soon!

Joshua
01-30-2009, 09:09 PM
I am heading up next week. Hope to get into some bigger fish

Joshua
02-09-2009, 07:04 PM
Just got back from Bishop Talked to the owner of the tackle shop. He said there is no money to pay (TIM) Alpers for trout. And Tim isnt giving his fish away. It was just a rumor

Eat Sleep Fish
02-09-2009, 07:41 PM
Thats exactly what I was told by Dave over at culvers last month. Its a bunch of rumors to help the sierra business. Dont know if you noticed how light the crowds were compared to other years.

anyhow...how was fishin?

Sierra_Smitty
02-09-2009, 08:26 PM
Just got back from Bishop Talked to the owner of the tackle shop. He said there is no money to pay (TIM) Alpers for trout. And Tim isnt giving his fish away. It was just a rumor

The word of a county funding freeze went out on 1/13. The conversation I had with my friend with the Bishop Chamber who is the person who actually contracts with Tim was on 1/28 and they were going ahead with the stocking as well as all other previously scheduled area events (Blake Jones, Rodeo etc etc.). County money is not their only funding...just a healthy part of it.

I'll have more on this tomorrow when my friend is back in the office and I can put this to rest.

Troutman65
02-09-2009, 08:33 PM
The word of a county funding freeze went out on 1/13. The conversation I had with my friend with the Bishop Chamber who is the person who actually contracts with Tim was on 1/28 and they were going ahead with the stocking as well as all other previously scheduled area events (Blake Jones, Rodeo etc etc.). County money is not their only funding...just a healthy part of it.

I'll have more on this tomorrow when my friend is back in the office and I can put this to rest.

Thanks for the update.:Cool::Wink:

Eat Sleep Fish
02-09-2009, 08:58 PM
Smitty, you always come to the rescue with sierra news. sounds good bro, give us the good word.

Sierra_Smitty
02-10-2009, 08:41 AM
Alright folks, here is the deal.

This "tackle shop owner" is officially wrong - I would not use the term liar because spreading misinformation out of ignorance isn't really lying, it's just being out of the loop.

I talked this morning with the executive director of the Chamber of Commerce via email who assured me that the Alpers stocking is absolutely a go, as is the Blake Jones and everything else the Chamber has planned this year. They are fit to be tied because someone keeps spreading rumors that the budget problems are halting the programs, including the stocking, which is totally untrue. In fact, they even did a radio interview on our local radio station last week to try and set the record straight.

So - Alpers are coming, in fact I believe they were stocked last week but I'm waiting on a response with some specific dates - when I get them, you'll have them.

In short - DO NOT BELIEVE THE GRUMPY NAYSAYERS!

Fish On!!!
Smitty

Eat Sleep Fish
02-10-2009, 11:41 AM
SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!:Big Grin:

THANX BRO.

BigGameHunter
02-10-2009, 07:00 PM
Smitty,
Thanks for the 411 my brotha!! I have been wanting to go to PVR for quite some time.. It would be my first time to PVR. I wanted to go this Thursday but the weather website is predicting rain.. Do you see anything in your crystal ball??

I met you last July the weekend of all the floods up there!! It was sad to hear about the hatchery.. Take care..

BGH

Sierra_Smitty
02-10-2009, 07:50 PM
Smitty,
Thanks for the 411 my brotha!! I have been wanting to go to PVR for quite some time.. It would be my first time to PVR. I wanted to go this Thursday but the weather website is predicting rain.. Do you see anything in your crystal ball??

I met you last July the weekend of all the floods up there!! It was sad to hear about the hatchery.. Take care..

BGH

Weather is one of those things that is nearly impossible to predict, up here at least. Overall, we get extremely little precip down in the valley so even when there are monster storms in the high country, they usually peter out by the time they get to the valley. PVR is a bit closer to the crest so you more often get precip there than you do at the owens.

That's about as far as I'll go into the weather......

You are right about the floods being a bummer - luckily they've done a lot of work fixing up the hatchery from what I hear.

Peace
Smitty

Joshua
02-10-2009, 08:52 PM
The fishing has been pretty good. When I get back up there , I will inform the old dude that he is wrong, I have the official word from Smitty "Pimp on the Hill"

Sierra_Smitty
02-10-2009, 08:57 PM
The fishing has been pretty good. When I get back up there , I will inform the old dude that he is wrong, I have the official word from Smitty "Pimp on the Hill"

Believe me dude, all of the tackle shops in town will know exactly what is going on before the day is done tomorrow. But you should get back up here soon to slay some more....BTW, where's the report brudda?!

BigGameHunter
02-10-2009, 11:03 PM
Weather is one of those things that is nearly impossible to predict, up here at least. Overall, we get extremely little precip down in the valley so even when there are monster storms in the high country, they usually peter out by the time they get to the valley. PVR is a bit closer to the crest so you more often get precip there than you do at the owens.

That's about as far as I'll go into the weather......

You are right about the floods being a bummer - luckily they've done a lot of work fixing up the hatchery from what I hear.

Peace
Smitty

Thanks Smitty for the dependable 411

BGH