PDA

View Full Version : Help a newb catch a Hali...

FishEye
01-28-2009, 06:44 PM
Greetings everyone,

I'm an avid freshwater angler and have never really attempted to try salt. I've seen all the success people have been having surf fishing, which made me really want to get out there and set a hook. So basically I was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction in terms of a general area to fish, tackle, and some techniques. I would prefer using a LC but I'm open to anything to get a bite. I hope this isn't too much to ask, but I've just been aching to get out of the suburbs and do some surf fishing. PM me if you prefer. Oh I'm coming from north OC, so anywhere between Long Beach and Newport is fair game for me.

thanks again

FishEye
01-29-2009, 10:37 PM
can i use a spinning outfit for the LC minnows? And do any of you guys know any good sites for tide movement? An incoming tide is optimal right?

thanks again

fish4keep
01-30-2009, 07:14 AM
look for sandy area with some structures (rock, jetty, grass, holes/pockets, rip current) around it. personally, I don't like using spinning but I don't see why you can't use a spinning for the LC beside the line twist......

http://tbone.biol.sc.edu/tide/sites_uswest.html

PUDD MASTER BAITER
01-30-2009, 07:42 AM
If your using spinning . Go drop shot. Its the same rig you set up for bass. I like 8lb leader. All you need, is some small, or med flukes, and some flash trix minnows( they have a good selection at big fish tackle ,at the corner of pch and sealbeach blvd). Nose hook them, and your in buisness. If you have to use lcs, a bigger set up is recommended, at least 12lb rated spinning set up, so you dont break the bank, losing those lcs. Good luck. Your gonna love your first hali or bass on the drop shot.

fish_sauce
01-30-2009, 01:00 PM
i don't recommend you use LC's if you're unfamiliar with the terrain. It can spoil your day real quick if you manage to snag and lose a couple lures in one outting...but if you do decide to use them, i recommend investing in flourocarbon line, preferably 10 or 12lbs. You can downsize to 8lbs once you grow comfortable using lighter line.

you can use a spinning outfit for crankbaits. The line twist isn't really enough of an issue for it to render crankbait use ineffective...and i totally agree with PMB...you might want to start off dropshotting 5'' shads or flash trix minnows...

its generally good to fish incoming tide, but you'll soon realize that some places actually fish better at low tide or outgoing tide...so there really isn't a set rule that you should follow....its best just try getting out there as much as possible and figure out the characteristics of each spot...(tidal movement, structure, etc) If you're new to surf fishing in general, make sure you read Fisherman57's article on Surf Perch 101 http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?t=14334
he has links and info to basically all the things you need to know to get started. good luck!

Wingnut
01-30-2009, 02:28 PM
i don't recommend you use LC's if you're unfamiliar with the terrain. It can spoil your day real quick if you manage to snag and lose a couple lures in one outting...but if you do decide to use them, i recommend investing in flourocarbon line, preferably 10 or 12lbs. You can downsize to 8lbs once you grow comfortable using lighter line.

you can use a spinning outfit for crankbaits. The line twist isn't really enough of an issue for it to render crankbait use ineffective...and i totally agree with PMB...you might want to start off dropshotting 5'' shads or flash trix minnows...

its generally good to fish incoming tide, but you'll soon realize that some places actually fish better at low tide or outgoing tide...so there really isn't a set rule that you should follow....its best just try getting out there as much as possible and figure out the characteristics of each spot...(tidal movement, structure, etc) If you're new to surf fishing in general, make sure you read Fisherman57's article on Surf Perch 101 http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?t=14334
he has links and info to basically all the things you need to know to get started. good luck!

Perfectly said Andrew. :Cool:

FishEye, if you have specific questions regarding gear and/or techniques, shoot me a PM, I'll do my best to answer your questions or steer you in the right direction. :Wink: