PDA

View Full Version : Vail 1/27....

Pete Marino
01-28-2009, 05:28 PM
I took Justin out to Vail today because he had been wanting to get out there and catch some of the deep water fish Ive been talking about for over a month.
Justin is professional Walleye tournament fisherman from Wisconsin that fishes for bass as much as possible especially when hes here in California..which is fairly often.
We started the day spooning in deep water 26-30 ft and caught a bunch of bass. Then I decided to go shallow and throw some finesse stuff so we did and we caught a bunch of fish doing that as well.
He told me that his biggest bass ever was only 5 lbs so I told him I would take him to a spot and see if we could break his personal best record.
So I made a move and we pulled up to a deep water spot I know of that always seems to hold big bass. I pulled up really quitley with the trolling motor and metered the spot. I looked at the fish finder and Sure enough the spot was "stacked" with BIG fish. I told Justin to make a cast and within 30 seconds....HE WAS ON!!!! He yelled...."I Got One"...and I looked at him and asked if it felt big. He looked at me with excitement in his eyes as the big fish pulled drag. I told him to relax and to keep presure on the fish...It stayed deep for about 2 minutes. Then I got over the top of it with the boat and it came straight up next to the boat and I netted it.
Justin just broke his PERSONAL BEST!!!! 7 lb 3 oz Largemouth !!!!
It was a little skinny but not like some of the big ones we've been catching lately. It looked like it should have been about 9 - 9 1/2 lbs...But Justin was happy with 7 lbs 3 ounces. :Envious::Envious: He shattered his personal best record!!! :Thumbs Up::Beer Toast:

A little while later I set the the hook on a MONSTER. It peeled drag and I couldnt do anything about it. I dont like to put alot of presure on spoon fish because they arent usually hooked too well so I just gave it moderate presure for about 2 mintues and the fish went where it wanted. After about 2 mintues, I looked at Justin and told him that I thought the fish might be snagged and it would probably come unbuttoned because I simply couldnt get it to come up. After about 3 mintues...."Plunk"....it just came off. Which confirmed my thought that it was probably snagged. It could have been a snagged monster bass or it could have been a big carp snagged. Either way...I'll never know. It was all good though because Justin got his personal best in the boat!!!

I later caught one that was right at 4 lbs. :Big Grin:

Congrats on your personal best Justin!!! :Envious:

Justin poses with his NEW Personal Best Largemouth Bass!!!
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd134/TeamMarino/IMG_0137.jpg

Another Pic of Justins record breaker...
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd134/TeamMarino/IMG_0135.jpg

Look at the size of that mouth on this bass!!! And look at the width as well... It should weigh 9 lbs, not 7..
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd134/TeamMarino/IMG_0136.jpg

And heres a pic of my 4 lber...notice how skinny this bass is.....no belly at all...big head and length though...
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd134/TeamMarino/IMG_0138.jpg

Pete:Cool:

PeteMarinoGuideService. com
(909) 510-5679

goseango
01-28-2009, 06:40 PM
Good job Pete. This warmer weather makes it hard NOT to want to go out :Cool:. I might sneak out to the shore in the next few days if the warden lets me :Secret:.

Kevin

Pete Marino
01-28-2009, 10:22 PM

socalrippin
01-29-2009, 07:17 AM
thats what im talkin bout!!! way to stay on top of the fish bro!!! that is definetely the biggest 7 lb bass ive ever seen!!!

Pete Marino
01-29-2009, 09:10 AM
No doubt...the head on that bass was huge. That fish can potentially be a monster in a couple years. Especially if they start stocking trout at Vail , which they may start doing.

basscatcher
01-29-2009, 03:34 PM
when are they stocking trout pete?

God Bless

basscatcher

DccFISHerMan
01-29-2009, 03:47 PM
nice bass mann

goseango
01-29-2009, 05:59 PM
Membership manager mentioned it to Pete and I they day we fished together. It is not anything definate BUT something they are exploring right now.

when are they stocking trout pete?

God Bless

basscatcher

Pete Marino
01-29-2009, 06:13 PM
Whats up bro...?

Yeah Jaroslav asked me what I thought about the idea. I told him that I thought it was a great idea to start stocking trout into Vail.
It would be a win win in my opinion...
The bass would feast and the trout fishing guys would like it as well during the winter months...

I think its a great idea!! It may happen ..it may not.

basscatcher
01-29-2009, 06:18 PM
Whats up bro...?

Yeah Jaroslav asked me what I thought about the idea. I told him that I thought it was a great idea to start stocking trout into Vail.
The bass would feast and the trout fishing guys would like it as well during the winter months...

i remember last year my bros were killing them thier on the floating swimbaits but thanks pete. nice to hear from you agian. we need to hit up the pudd. the water is warming up. :)

God Bless

Basscatcher

Rod Wynn
01-29-2009, 08:53 PM
Good report Pete..
Dennis and I were out there the same day and we didnt get anything near that PB but we were able to get a bunch of fish which is alot better than anywhere else right now..
We are going back out tomorrow, stop by if you get out there..

BTW..The trout stocking idea is a GREAT ONE..
I often wonder, with all those shad in that lake why are so many of the bass so skinny?

Pete Marino
01-29-2009, 09:38 PM

ART HILL
01-30-2009, 07:32 AM
Whats up bro...?

Jaroslav has been talking about stocking trout into Vail since September or October. I would not hold your breath on this one.

kgselect
01-30-2009, 03:49 PM
Great report. I remember fishing Vail Lake back in the mid 80s when it was open to the public. It is such a wonderful lake. Incredible bass and crappie fishery. During various seasons, you could catch fish on just about any type of lure; topwater, spoons, blades, jigs, cranks, plastics. Thanks for the report.

DoubleTrouble
01-31-2009, 12:44 AM
You're right Art! Jaroslav has been saying that for the last two years. It will never happen.