PDA

View Full Version : Avet SX 5.3 Drag Problem

gavin310
01-27-2009, 10:45 PM
When I first got my Avet SX 5.3 a while back it was my first conventional reel. I read that when you change the drag dial it has to be in free spool or you'll mess up the reel. I was following instructions pretty well but one time I forgot and was trying to change the drag in strike mode. Anyway, I think I screwed up the drag. It goes from pretty tight drag at one notch to almost free spool at the next notch. I just bought an MXJ from Ricky Ray and that drag works like it should, so I'm sure I screwed it up.

So my question is, should I send the reel to Avet to get this fixed or is there a cheaper local option? What should I do?!?! I'd prefer a local option because maybe the drag is fine and I'm doing something wrong, although I doubt it.

davidth626
01-27-2009, 11:55 PM
i have the mjx single speed and the sx single and 2speed, ive turned the dial while its in gear and nothing happened. its just 2 spring mounted nobs on the back of the dial and a spring so i dont really see how it can mess up. harder to turn yes, but i dont think turning it would destroy the reel. did u try unscrewing the dial? maybe the spring just got stuck in the drag washers.

Ricky-Ray
01-28-2009, 12:04 AM
I would take it back to Avet they are located in Chatsworth. I've been there several times and everytime I'm there I'm greeted by a friendly lady, I tell her what's wrong with my reels and then they told me to have a seat. They take it to the back and usually within 15 mins they bring it back to me. Both times I went there they didn't charge me for the service. Both times I bought a couple of t-shirts since they didn't charge me for the repair. Last time I was there I was able to get a quick tour of the factory so that was definitely worth the drive.

I've heard quite a few stories about Avet and their customer service is top notch. Some people have been charged when they took their reels there and other's have had it done free of charge. I think it just depends on what was involved.

Here's their info:

Avet Industries
9687 Topanga Cyn. Place
Chatsworth, CA 91311
(877) 487-4476

sansou
01-28-2009, 12:05 AM
Open her up and take a gander. It won't bite you. They are pretty simple mechanically.

Careful with unscrewing the drag knob, there's 2 tiny do-hickies that can fall out.

Sansou aka "not so Alan Tani"

Nessie Hunter
01-28-2009, 07:50 AM
What you describe is common when the Reel is left for a long time with the drags set TIGHT ..
Or low quality componants. Avet normally doesnt fall into that category.....

Normally two or more Bellville washers are under the star & lever drag.
= ")()(" shaped..
They act like a spring (some reels do have a spring) to add pressure slowly to the drag stack... When they have been compressed for a long time they will loose their shape & flatten out like a normal flat washer....
So, no cushion and you have full drag or no drag......

Unless you know what they are, and what they look like, you would never notice them..
Needs a tear down, and Belville washers replaced with new ones....

Dont store your reels with the drag set tight.............

gavin310
01-28-2009, 09:16 AM
Dont store your reels with the drag set tight..............

I'm not sure if that's it. I've always stored my reels in free spool with the clicker on. the longest i've had them stored with more drag (but not very too tight) was maybe a few days until i realized i didn't put it in free spool.

ghetto dad
01-28-2009, 09:27 AM
you NEVER EVER adjust the knob while the reel is in gear, you have to make sure you have the drag set properly the first time. You have to set the drag while the reel is out of gear totally. Thats one thing i had to adjust to when i went from star drag reels to pre-sets.....my homie did this on a 5 day while he was on a fish, and stripped it pretty bad....

GD

ghetto dad
01-28-2009, 09:29 AM
Open her up and take a gander. It won't bite you. They are pretty simple mechanically.

Careful with unscrewing the drag knob, there's 2 tiny do-hickies that can fall out.

Sansou aka "not so Alan Tani"

lol rich....i wouldnt recommend that. They are very easy to work on, at least print out some alan tani schems. I taught myself (with the help of those) to service my own avets, there was NO WAY I was paying to get them serviced when needed.

GD

gavin310
01-28-2009, 02:52 PM
Thanks for all the info. I'm pretty sure I screwed it up, but I'll play around with it a little more tonight and make sure. It feels like if there were multiple drag washers, the lightest one isn't working at all, since it goes straight from no drag to pretty tight drag. I have to cast it with the "no drag" so i backlash almost every time unless i really slow down the spool with my thumb.

sansou
01-28-2009, 03:36 PM
Gavin,

Your backlash issue is a separate issue / problem. I guess you could use a tightened down drag as a cast control mechanism, but thats not what it is designed for.

ghetto dad
01-28-2009, 04:12 PM
When I first got my Avet SX 5.3 a while back it was my first conventional reel. I read that when you change the drag dial it has to be in free spool or you'll mess up the reel. I was following instructions pretty well but one time I forgot and was trying to change the drag in strike mode. Anyway, I think I screwed up the drag. It goes from pretty tight drag at one notch to almost free spool at the next notch. I just bought an MXJ from Ricky Ray and that drag works like it should, so I'm sure I screwed it up.

So my question is, should I send the reel to Avet to get this fixed or is there a cheaper local option? What should I do?!?! I'd prefer a local option because maybe the drag is fine and I'm doing something wrong, although I doubt it.

OMG!!! :Shocked: :Shocked: I just noticed that!!! Ricky Ray SOLD ONE OF HIS AVETS???? Ricky, you ok homie???? You value those things more than your fiancee!!!

GD

Ricky-Ray
01-28-2009, 04:29 PM
LOL.... it was the older style MXJ with the torpedo handle. I sold it so I could upgrade to the newer style.

gavin310
01-28-2009, 04:40 PM
Gavin,

Your backlash issue is a separate issue / problem. I guess you could use a tightened down drag as a cast control mechanism, but thats not what it is designed for.

hmmm... the manual said how to adjust the drag for casting. it said if it's too loose it will cause more backlashes, so i dunno :Confused: with the MJX i can adjust the drag ok and i can cast without backlash... at least i think it was the manual that said that. i read a lot about the reel before getting it.