PDA

View Full Version : Bait Casting Rods???

Fishingmonkee
01-27-2009, 03:43 PM
Is there any bait casting rods that comes in two prices ? All the ones i have seen at walmart/big 5 are one piece?

bsp
01-27-2009, 03:53 PM
Travel rods do, but it is generally hard, if not impossible, to find quality 2 piece baitcasters. Damiki is going to come out with one that is supposed to be good. Good luck finding one for sale though.

http://www.damiki.co.kr/eng/sub.html?s=2_3&m=view&page=1&page_num=10&no=78#

Fishingmonkee
01-27-2009, 04:01 PM
you are right, i could not find a place that sells it.

a biley
01-27-2009, 06:07 PM
some basspro bionic blades come in 2 pieces

basscatcher
01-27-2009, 07:11 PM
some of the claraus rods by shimano are 2 piece but they are hard to find. your better off on just getting a 6'6 med hvy one piece that good for your cranks and worms.

God Bless

basscatcher

sesgia
01-27-2009, 07:41 PM
for 2pcs rod your looking for is going to be over 7ft or gloomis travel rod but expect to spend $$$ on gloomis travel rods

tucunare
01-28-2009, 10:17 PM
I've heard good things about compres, but never used one- shimano makes a 2-pc, 6'6", med power, fast action. They have them at Hi's Tackle, I purchased reels there before, good service (no, I don't get a commission :LOL: ): http://www.histackleboxshop.com/Shimano-Freshwater-Rod-CPC66M2B-p/shimano-freshwater%20cpc66m2b.htm

DEADROOTS
01-29-2009, 09:03 AM
2pc rods suck:!!!::!!!::!!!:

DarkShadow
01-29-2009, 09:52 AM
2pc rods suck:!!!::!!!::!!!:

Agreed, but maybe the original poster was getting a 2 piece for a reason, such as convenience (travel, hiking, etc).

Although 2 piece rods don't come recommended, trekking miles on end with a 7 foot rod sticking outta your hiking bag isn't fun either, nor is paying $75 dollars for over sized baggage fee at the airport for having an 8 foot tube with your rods inside.

And there are lots of two piece casting rods available that aren't 'travel' rods. Just do some research online.

Fishingmonkee
01-29-2009, 10:10 AM
I drive a honda s2000 so thats why i was inquiring bout 2 pieces. I decided to get a one piece cause im pretty sure i can make it fit into the passenger side of my car (sucks for whoeva riding with me). this will be my first bait casting rod so i did not want anything overly expensive, something i can learn and practice on before i move onto the bigger and better stuff.

Nessie Hunter
01-29-2009, 10:34 AM
You may want to look at the new Berkley AMP rods????
They are only about $30.......

They have some great specs for that price range (I know they aren't a Powell)..
Plus I need someone to try them out & let us know how they are.. :ROFL:

I think I may try one as a new Drop Shot rod soon??

DarkShadow
01-29-2009, 10:43 AM
You may want to look at the new Berkley AMP rods????
They are only about $30.......

They have some great specs for that price range (I know they aren't a Powell)..
Plus I need someone to try them out & let us know how they are.. :ROFL:

I think I may try one as a new Drop Shot rod soon??

Yeah Ness, but unfortunately, all the AMP casting models are 1 piece, while the original poster is inquiring about 2 piece models.

http://www.berkley-fishing.com/prod.php?k=50169&sk=50172&p=PURAC661M+%281139466%29

They look pretty nice though. Glad to see some of the lower priced rods getting some aesthetically pleasing touch ups like split grips and no fore grips.

DarkShadow
01-29-2009, 11:01 AM
Here's a 7 foot Fenwick 2 piece casting rod that's on sale for $79.99 from Cabelas, down from $149.99.

http://tinyurl.com/bq8hw6

lurk 182
01-29-2009, 11:10 AM
just get a decent one piece seven foot medium or medium heavy with ten or twelve pound mono and get a couple 3/8 oz to 5/8 oz baits and get out there. it'll fit in the passenger' seat just fine. i've got an acura coupe and i put one piece seven footers in there all the time. if you've got a hole through to the trunk, you can put an eight footer in there (although the tip will be up on the dash almost). i'd recommend a shimano crucial or st. croix avid series rod and a one of the 2009 shimano citica reels and you're at about $300 with tax. that probably sounds like a lot but its cheaper than spending $150 now and then going back and getting a "keeper" setup six months later. i would strongly recommend that you buy one quality all around setup rather than getting four cheap ones just so you can have more gear. you can get five to seven years out of a quality setup no problem so in the long run, i don't think you will regret it unless you quit fishing. even then, somebody will pick the gear up from you used if its in good shape.

Fishingmonkee
01-29-2009, 03:41 PM
just get a decent one piece seven foot medium or medium heavy with ten or twelve pound mono and get a couple 3/8 oz to 5/8 oz baits and get out there. it'll fit in the passenger' seat just fine. i've got an acura coupe and i put one piece seven footers in there all the time. if you've got a hole through to the trunk, you can put an eight footer in there (although the tip will be up on the dash almost). i'd recommend a shimano crucial or st. croix avid series rod and a one of the 2009 shimano citica reels and you're at about $300 with tax. that probably sounds like a lot but its cheaper than spending $150 now and then going back and getting a "keeper" setup six months later. i would strongly recommend that you buy one quality all around setup rather than getting four cheap ones just so you can have more gear. you can get five to seven years out of a quality setup no problem so in the long run, i don't think you will regret it unless you quit fishing. even then, somebody will pick the gear up from you used if its in good shape.

thanks for the suggestion and i do understand in this hobby, the quality of the gear is alot more important than the quantity of gears. Money isn't really a problem either but i just prefer to get something on the lower budget side to start out with.

jim532
01-30-2009, 08:44 AM
sport chalet has a zebco 2 piece baitcasting combo. But I would just go ahead and get the good quality gear instead of going cheap at first. The higher quality reels perform better than the low end plastic inside and out stuff.

DEADROOTS
01-30-2009, 09:04 AM
I drive a honda s2000 so thats why i was inquiring bout 2 pieces. I decided to get a one piece cause im pretty sure i can make it fit into the passenger side of my car (sucks for whoeva riding with me). this will be my first bait casting rod so i did not want anything overly expensive, something i can learn and practice on before i move onto the bigger and better stuff.

Lay it on the front seat. I have an accord coup and thats what I do. Put the but with the reel where you put your feet and the tip will be in the head zone. Ive never had a problem transporting. Plus it would be a little more sensible if one wanted to backpack with a compact style rod, like a spinning rod not some big heavy tackle. They also make Ice rods Baitcasting/spinning by Daiwa which I use for backpacking. Check em out. Click here for Daiwa rods! (http://www.daiwa.com/Rod/detail.aspx?id=213)
GOOD LUCK

Fishingmonkee
01-30-2009, 11:42 AM
Hey guys, thanks for all the great advice and what not but i went ahead and got a one piece. Im pretty happy with it and it fits into my car, like i have to bend the a little bit to fit it into my 2 seater car with no back seat.

jonshibata
01-30-2009, 04:51 PM
The bigger question would by WHY would anyone want a 2 piece rod? You either have a weak spot where it can break, or you have a stiff spot where the rod doesn't bend right. Either way, it's inferior to a one piece.

Fishingmonkee
01-30-2009, 07:04 PM
The bigger question would by WHY would anyone want a 2 piece rod? You either have a weak spot where it can break, or you have a stiff spot where the rod doesn't bend right. Either way, it's inferior to a one piece.

I understand that a 2 piece is not ideal but i have mentioned this a couple of times. The reason being is that i was worried that i can not fit a one piece into my car. I have a honda s2000, it's a two seater with no back seats or access to the trunk. I understand alot of people mentioned having honda accords and numerous other coupes but they all have back seats.

Addicted 2Fishin
01-31-2009, 10:21 PM
you are right, i could not find a place that sells it.

Most places don't, it really sucks.

HBJapo
02-02-2009, 05:05 PM
Hey guys, thanks for all the great advice and what not but i went ahead and got a one piece. Im pretty happy with it and it fits into my car, like i have to bend the a little bit to fit it into my 2 seater car with no back seat.

Fishingmonkee,

Don't store your pole for long periods with the bend in it, you will ruin your pole. Also, just a bit of advise, don't store your reels with the drags tightened up, loosen them all the way after each trip. It pays to keep your stuff in good shape. :Cool:

Japo :Envious:

Fishingmonkee
02-02-2009, 07:32 PM
Fishingmonkee,

Don't store your pole for long periods with the bend in it, you will ruin your pole. Also, just a bit of advise, don't store your reels with the drags tightened up, loosen them all the way after each trip. It pays to keep your stuff in good shape. :Cool:

thanks for the advice, that's exactly what i do as far as the rod. i never leave it in my car, i take it out as soon as i get home so it doesnt get bend. Thanks for the advice on the reel. will do that.

HBJapo
02-03-2009, 08:43 AM
thanks for the advice, that's exactly what i do as far as the rod. i never leave it in my car, i take it out as soon as i get home so it doesnt get bend. Thanks for the advice on the reel. will do that.

Anytime! Now go get that monster!! :Cool:

jim532
02-03-2009, 09:16 AM
Fishingmonkee,

This is true, I had a pole leaned up against the wall in my storage unit for a couple years and when I was taking all my stuff out of storage the pole had a permanent bend in it.

Fishingmonkee
02-03-2009, 03:31 PM
will be getting my license tonight and be at yorba park tomorrow to test our my luck. Since it's gonna rain Thursday-Saturday my days off from school and work but can't wait another week. :] Thanks everybody.

karlow
02-03-2009, 09:43 PM
It's a vert right?
That makes you a topless fishermen!
Top down, the jig stick fits!

KP