View Full Version : Tasty Carp!!

BassMasterson
01-26-2009, 11:33 PM
Its very easy...
Take 2 large carp filets (one fish)
Get one large bowl/bucket of horse manure
take each filet and cake the manure around it nice and thick
Bake in the oven at 450 degrees for 20 minutes
let it cool... then throw away the carp and just eat the manure!

haha... Works great on gold fish and Koi too~:ROFL:

Troutman65
01-27-2009, 03:50 AM
Some people like eating carp. In Europe its very fond of by my people. I have never tasted Carp but I have hear from many who have eaten it , That if you prepre and cook right its very good.

fish_sauce
01-27-2009, 08:06 AM
Some people like eating carp. In Europe its very fond of by my people. I have never tasted Carp but I have hear from many who have eaten it , That if you prepre and cook right its very good.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060903/SPORTS10/107310002

http://ifpriblog.org/2008/03/07/fisherwomen-bring-prosperity-to-their-families.aspx

http://www.fao.org/fishery/culturedspecies/Cyprinus_carpio

BassMasterson
01-27-2009, 12:09 PM

Some one just told me this joke the other day, thought it was pretty funny...

HBJapo
01-27-2009, 04:38 PM
Check it owwwwwt......

http://www.all-fish-seafood-recipes.com/index.cfm/list/Carp

Japo :Envious:

one_leg
01-27-2009, 04:40 PM
You've never tried carp scale soup?

Ifishtoolittle
01-27-2009, 07:29 PM
Carp is considered decent by my eating standards. If made properly it will have this nice flaky meat, and the meat does taste pretty sweet. If not made properly the meat will be all paste-like.

Sue
01-27-2009, 11:00 PM
Carp is good eating. I've had it a couple of times.

It's an acquired taste, that's for sure, but it sure is good when cooked right (don't ask me how to, I never made it myself).

BassMasterson
01-27-2009, 11:11 PM
wow... I expected a couple LOLs maybe a :ROFL: or 2, but I didn't know carp eating was so serious!

troutdog
01-27-2009, 11:31 PM
wow... I expected a couple LOLs maybe a :ROFL: or 2, but I didn't know carp eating was so serious!

It might be because that joke is as old as the hills :LOL: C'mon BassMasterson did you think this was new material er somthing? :LOL: The joke is actually better told using booze instead of manure as the punchline imho....oh yeah :ROFL:

TD

BassMasterson
01-28-2009, 12:07 AM
It might be because that joke is as old as the hills :LOL: C'mon BassMasterson did you think this was new material er somthing? :LOL: The joke is actually better told using booze instead of manure as the punchline imho....oh yeah :ROFL:

TD

ok ok, I'll leave the popsicle jokes at home:Rolls Eyes:

sansou
01-28-2009, 12:17 AM
Bassmasterson,

For your next act, you should post up the video of the Afghani fishing with a RPG-7, or perhaps the video with the catfish that swallowed the basketball....maybe even the vid of the asian carp flying out of the midwest rivers....we haven't seen them vids enough already. :Wink:

Just joking with you man!! The carp is a much maligned fish.....and deservedly so! lol

BassMasterson
01-28-2009, 12:22 AM
Bassmasterson,

For your next act, you should post up the video of the Afghani fishing with a RPG-7, or perhaps the video with the catfish that swallowed the basketball....maybe even the vid of the asian carp flying out of the midwest rivers....we haven't seen them vids enough already. :Wink:

Just joking with you man!! The carp is a much maligned fish.....and deservedly so! lol

Are you talking about the videos of guys bowfishing those jumping carp? cause I just saw that! thought it was pretty bad a**

Liteliner
01-28-2009, 04:54 PM
Many asian people eat carp. My dad has some relatives back in laos who have 3-4 acre ponds just to raise carp for eating. I've brought home yellowtails, wsb, dorado, and a ton of other supposedly tasty fish yet my mom says why not just go catch her a carp instead. :EyePop::EyePop::EyePop: So yeah carp is good eating to some people.

My mom makes some mean arse pickled carp kinda dish. Good stuff with some sticky rice. I'll put up the recipe if anybody wants it but its pretty spicy.

BassMasterson
01-29-2009, 10:44 AM
Many asian people eat carp. My dad has some relatives back in laos who have 3-4 acre ponds just to raise carp for eating. I've brought home yellowtails, wsb, dorado, and a ton of other supposedly tasty fish yet my mom says why not just go catch her a carp instead. :EyePop::EyePop::EyePop: So yeah carp is good eating to some people.

My mom makes some mean arse pickled carp kinda dish. Good stuff with some sticky rice. I'll put up the recipe if anybody wants it but its pretty spicy.

Yeah, I think I read somewhere that carp was one of the first fish to be farmed in asia... I've never actually tried it to be honest! I used to hate on cat fish too, till i tried it! Now its one of my fav's. That is if someone else is fileting it, you need a hack saw to filet those things!

James343
01-29-2009, 12:36 PM
I saw a a show on the Food Network I forget he host name but its the dude with the blond spiky hair that hits up all the dive and diners across the country. One of the segments was all about a place in the mid-west where Carp was the most popular item. I think they scored them then breaded and deep fried them. I have to say it looked pretty good and the place was packed with people.

Almost forgot the kept the carp alive in what looked like a wading pool in the kitchen!

tpfishnfool
01-29-2009, 12:46 PM

Add a Dog and we can have Surf and Turf !!

BassMasterson
01-29-2009, 12:56 PM
I saw a a show on the Food Network I forget he host name but its the dude with the blond spiky hair that hits up all the dive and diners across the country. One of the segments was all about a place in the mid-west where Carp was the most popular item. I think they scored them then breaded and deep fried them. I have to say it looked pretty good and the place was packed with people.

Almost forgot the kept the carp alive in what looked like a wading pool in the kitchen!

god I hate that guy! by the way thats his name.. Guy! total DB. Every time that TGIFidays commercial comes on, I gotta change the channel. Maybe its just me

tpfishnfool
01-29-2009, 01:01 PM
god I hate that guy! by the way thats his name.. Guy! total DB. Every time that TGIFidays commercial comes on, I gotta change the channel. Maybe its just me

No doubt , or that tool on Man vs. Food.. What a freaking Slob ! Makes good food look like sh&t !

BingJr
02-01-2009, 11:27 AM
I ate buffalo carp when back east out of some spring fed ponds/lakes. They were fillet and fried just like the crappie, they were very good. The only difference is the filets were scored in a checkerboard pattern so the meat cooked all the way through quickly. They were excellent. Am I gonna eat any carp out of balboa or reseda lake any time soon? Prolly not!

Ifishtoolittle
02-01-2009, 07:28 PM
No doubt , or that tool on Man vs. Food.. What a freaking Slob ! Makes good food look like sh&t !

I know most people would agree with what your saying about food crtics, but come on cut them some slack. Although most food crtics on T.V. are total Bull S**t we should all at least give them some smpathy. Also they do have pretty interesting jobs instead of sitting at the office all day banging your head.

fish_sauce
02-02-2009, 10:26 AM
I've brought home yellowtails, wsb, dorado, and a ton of other supposedly tasty fish yet my mom says why not just go catch her a carp instead. :EyePop::EyePop::EyePop: So yeah carp is good eating to some people.

Hahaha. I know this is off topic, but i nearly fell off my chair after reading that!

I would bring home a wide assortment of fish like tuna, sand bass, yellowtail, halibut, rockfish...etc....and my mom would ask me why i can't ever seem to catch mackerel...lol...the same kind that you can get at almost any asian market on almost any given day for less than a buck a pound to use as bait! :ROFL: I remember one time, i baked a niceeeee fresh striper for a family dinner...and i overheard my brother telling his wife how he actually prefers deep fried tilapia more. :Confused: What can you do, right? Taste is subjective. There are people out there who actually prefer imitation crab over real crab!

BassMasterson
02-02-2009, 10:56 AM
Hahaha. I know this is off topic, but i nearly fell off my chair after reading that!

I would bring home a wide assortment of fish like tuna, sand bass, yellowtail, halibut, rockfish...etc....and my mom would ask me why i can't ever seem to catch mackerel...lol...the same kind that you can get at almost any asian market on almost any given day for less than a buck a pound to use as bait! :ROFL: I remember one time, i baked a niceeeee fresh striper for a family dinner...and i overheard my brother telling his wife how he actually prefers deep fried tilapia more. :Confused: What can you do, right? Taste is subjective. There are people out there who actually prefer imitation crab over real crab!

haha, yeah I know what you are talking about! My GF is Korean and when I go ocean fishing, we usually catch mackerel and use it as bait for some "good" fish. Then I bring home yellowtail and ling cod and whatever, and my GFs mom always asks me for the the makerel! haha... I threw the mack to the birds on the way back to harbor!

Liteliner
02-04-2009, 06:48 PM

I guess asian moms all think alot alike. :LOL: My mom tells me that she doesnt know what to do with big yellowtails and stuff so I filet them and she tells me why didnt I keep the head? Its the best part of the fish she says...:ROFL: Tilapia is another fish she cherishes.... :LOL::LOL::LOL:

PureAle
02-04-2009, 07:55 PM

ya i hate his *** too, he goes leeching at every restaurant in the US haha.

Troutman65
02-08-2009, 08:32 PM
I like the way this thread turned out. :Big Grin::Wink:

Koontaj
02-10-2009, 03:03 PM
Ya! carp is pretty gross in my opinion. What gets me is all the bones in it, but like they say, different folks for different folks.

I one time ate ostrich and it was good. I told my friends and they were just ragging and saying that f...en gross.

Ifishtoolittle
02-10-2009, 04:00 PM
Ya! carp is pretty gross in my opinion. What gets me is all the bones in it, but like they say, different folks for different folks.

I one time ate ostrich and it was good. I told my friends and they were just ragging and saying that f...en gross.

That is so true.

BassMasterson
02-11-2009, 10:23 AM
but like they say, different folks for different folks.

or even differnt strokes for different folks! either way...

gavin310
02-11-2009, 08:42 PM
alright i'll admit i hadn't heard that joke before and i LOL'd

FISHNCHIPS
03-22-2009, 10:01 AM
I grew up in the San Joaquin Valley and fished that river and it's tributaries for years. My largest freshwater fish was a 19 lb carp that I fought for 45 minutes in good current in the Jouquin thinking it had to be my first sturgeon.
My Grandpa caught a 45 lb carp nearby in the Merced where he used to pitchfork salmon in the 40's. That was legal then but you could only keep 10 fish!
Carp can survive the nastiest water conditions and that's where they get their bad reputation. When taken from good water they are good eating,smoked,pressure cooked and canned like salmon and shad for patties,or if you're talented with a fillet knife they can be deboned and fried.
My favorite is their huge skeins of roe that are more mild than shad and are excellent fried with scrambled eggs.
Carp are being commercially raised in Europe,Asia,Israel,etc. and catching on here in the U.S.
If you do catch a carp in foul,warm,slimy water,the proper way to prepare it is to nail it to a cedar shingle roast for four hours,throw away the carp and eat the shingle. My great grandfather told me that one! HAAA!!!
It's those bass that I can't eat.I just bleed em and throw them up in the brush.

tpfishnfool
03-22-2009, 10:40 AM
I grew up in the San Joaquin Valley and fished that river and it's tributaries for years. My largest freshwater fish was a 19 lb carp that I fought for 45 minutes in good current in the Jouquin thinking it had to be my first sturgeon.
My Grandpa caught a 45 lb carp nearby in the Merced where he used to pitchfork salmon in the 40's. That was legal then but you could only keep 10 fish!
Carp can survive the nastiest water conditions and that's where they get their bad reputation. When taken from good water they are good eating,smoked,pressure cooked and canned like salmon and shad for patties,or if you're talented with a fillet knife they can be deboned and fried.
My favorite is their huge skeins of roe that are more mild than shad and are excellent fried with scrambled eggs.
Carp are being commercially raised in Europe,Asia,Israel,etc. and catching on here in the U.S.
If you do catch a carp in foul,warm,slimy water,the proper way to prepare it is to nail it to a cedar shingle roast for four hours,throw away the carp and eat the shingle. My great grandfather told me that one! HAAA!!!
It's those bass that I can't eat.I just bleed em and throw them up in the brush.

So you bleed bass and throw em in the weeds ? DUDE !

FISHNCHIPS
03-22-2009, 03:42 PM
Nah, I was joking,I like to mess with bass and fly fishermen. I take the sacks of bass to homeless shelters.
FISH ON!!!

Troutslayer620
05-18-2009, 10:16 PM
I guess it is cool if you enjoy eating Goldfish or Coi Fish, what's next?:ROFL:

Ifishtoolittle
05-18-2009, 11:36 PM
Next we will be eating dogs! LOL J/K!

ElementX
05-19-2009, 12:48 PM
Its very easy...
Take 2 large carp filets (one fish)
Get one large bowl/bucket of horse manure
take each filet and cake the manure around it nice and thick
Bake in the oven at 450 degrees for 20 minutes
let it cool... then throw away the carp and just eat the manure!

haha... Works great on gold fish and Koi too~:ROFL:

How could I have missed this. Almost carped my pants it was so funny :ROFL:

jimmy951
05-20-2009, 05:44 PM
How could I have missed this. Almost carped my pants it was so funny :ROFL:

"carped my pants" dude im gunna use that fer sure, good one bro.

ElementX
05-20-2009, 06:53 PM
"carped my pants" dude im gunna use that fer sure, good one bro.

I saw that on this board! I thought it was just normal angler jargon. :LOL:

exfactor
05-20-2009, 08:24 PM
How bout carp sashimi............any one gone there? Figure you put enough wasabi and soy on it, it's got to be good.

Ifishtoolittle
05-20-2009, 08:51 PM
How bout carp sashimi............any one gone there? Figure you put enough wasabi and soy on it, it's got to be good.

If the carp you catch are from clean rivers you could probably have sashimi LOL!

bsp
05-20-2009, 08:53 PM
Next we will be eating dogs! LOL J/K!

Some people actually do. One of my friends tried it in Indonesia (not sure which island), and my dad mentioned that it was a menu item he saw in Java when he backpacked through South East Asia. I personally wouldn't try dog, but in parts of the world it is a valid source of protein. It's kind of like guinea pigs in Peru. We think of them as pets, but others think of them as food.

As for the carp idea, it is highly regarded in Europe as a sport fish and as table fair. Most things are tasty if prepared well, but I don't think I want to put in the effort to try with carp. Plus, most of the carp in So Cal come from polluted places. Maybe one out of Silverwood would taste all right...

Never mind. Don't eat the fish from Silverwood. They are toxic.

Ifishtoolittle
05-22-2009, 02:07 PM
Some people actually do. One of my friends tried it in Indonesia (not sure which island), and my dad mentioned that it was a menu item he saw in Java when he backpacked through South East Asia. I personally wouldn't try dog, but in parts of the world it is a valid source of protein. It's kind of like guinea pigs in Peru. We think of them as pets, but others think of them as food.

As for the carp idea, it is highly regarded in Europe as a sport fish and as table fair. Most things are tasty if prepared well, but I don't think I want to put in the effort to try with carp. Plus, most of the carp in So Cal come from polluted places. Maybe one out of Silverwood would taste all right...

I'm pretty aware of dogs and guinea pigs being an acceptable food source across the globe. I just felt that since carp is such a hated food source here in the U.S. it would be interesting to see the reactions of some FNN memebers here on the obard if I put dogs on the post. Yeah as for eating dogs and the little pigs I wouldn't eat them if I didn't have to.

bazooka joe
06-04-2009, 01:00 PM
Hi guys,
...My dad is an ole school farmer type from Nebraska, and we grew up eating carp. ....and prepared right, its actually VERY good.
...The key is to score the meat. A sharp filet knife making cuts (vertical to the body) about an 8th of an inch apart and half an inch deep or so makes sure than any small bones in the meat fry away. .....then salt, pepper, batter, and deep fry. ...........tasty.
Carp gets a bad rap, imo.:Secret:

Mike