PDA

View Full Version : Back from hunting season. First trip of the year: Silverwood...

Skyler
01-26-2009, 07:25 PM
Hey, guys. Well, a great upland season has come to an end, and I am already having quail withdrawls, lol. So with little recourse, I decided to break myself of the urge by heading out with my new rig in search of some fish, he he he. Finally decided to spend a bit more on a rig, so the other day I headed out with $300 worth of BPS gift cards and picked up a St. Croix Mojo Bass Wacky style med/extra fast 6'8", a Team Diawa TD Pro 20006Bi reel, a new fishing license, and some 10 pound Fireline Crystal. I actually spent my Christmas gift cards on fishing gear instead of the new .243 I was looking at. I'm glad I did. This rig is SOOO sensitive, and the braid doubles the sensitivity factor. You can almost feel the fish sitting there thinking about biting your line, lol!

Anyways, started out in the morning at a local park, working an in-line spinner, and a wacky rig. Picked up this little guy and farmed a couple others on the dropshot, but the bite just plain died by 10 am, so I went home, grabbed an extra rod and some tire chains, and headed up to Silverwood to slay some trout...

http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/2940/1000848qz2.jpg

The action at the 'Wood wasn't great, but it was at least steady. I managed my limit in about four hours, and also somehow missed as many fish as I caught. Guess all that wingshooting didn't do much for my hookset, he he he. Seemed like the braid and extra fast action changed many factors in the hookset. Almost like I was ripping the bait out of the fishes' mouths!

Anyways, everything was covered in snow, it was butt-*** cold, the fish were all in about 10-15 feet of water, and they were mainly biting shiny stuff. Panther Martins seemed to draw the bite the best, but it was so cold I ended up bundled up with gloves watching a couple of bait rigs. Other than the holo-shad and rainbow trout PM, two fish were caught on red PB dipped in Liquid Krill and one on a slip-bobbed nightcrawler. All in all, not a bad start to the '09 fishing season. Can't wait 'till it gets warm and the bass start to play, he he. Tight lines, guys.

http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/5747/1000861wn4.jpg

-Skyler

sesgia
01-26-2009, 08:03 PM
nice report good job and OMG how could you lay the bass on the dry grass like that i hope is health enough to survive

one_leg
01-26-2009, 08:14 PM
Skyler, great to hear that you are back on the waters.

I have been using the Fireline while jigging, casting lures, and even trolling and I am starting to like it more and more. Without any stretch you need to set your drags looser and use a slower action rod, but it has great sensativity. At least I am only using 4 lb. so I need to be a little more careful right out of the gate.

Nice looking string. Thanks for the pics/report.

Lets fish!!!

Skyler
01-26-2009, 08:25 PM
nice report good job and OMG how could you lay the bass on the dry grass like that i hope is health enough to survive

Thanks. The picture doesn't show it much, but that grass was far from dry. It hailed hard last night, and everything was pretty wet and cold. Even the fish was sluggish and slow. He was only out of the water for a few seconds, I'm sure he'll be fine.

One_leg, what up bro? Long time no see. I noticed that too about the drag settings. Not enough shock absorbing power in that line. I can't wait to try this stuff in the surf though. I'll finally be able to tell the difference between a halibut and a plastic bag, lol. Anyways, hit me up and we'll go get on some fish. Later.

DCCTrouserTrout
01-26-2009, 08:35 PM
that new rig is pretty sweet. way to go on the fish!

THROWBACK RANGER
01-26-2009, 08:53 PM
OMG how could you lay the bass on the dry grass like that i hope is health enough to survive

you took the words right out of my mouth

Skyler
01-26-2009, 09:07 PM
you took the words right out of my mouth

Come on guys. Gimme' a break here. I've been killing things all winter. That bass is lucky I didn't eat him right then and there, lol. All kidding aside, like I said, I'm definitely a bit rusty. I didn't have a net and I dropped the fish anyways when I went for my camera. I'll try harder next time. But if you guys wanna beat a dead horse, I guess I'll just have to fry a few LMB up on the next trip out...I'll post a few pics too, just for Gary, he he he.

nismotech91
01-26-2009, 10:55 PM
Nice report! Good to see ya back.

BULLDOG
01-27-2009, 12:03 AM

WHAAAA!!! come on, the fish was released.

Troutman65
01-27-2009, 04:08 AM
Hey Skyler, Nice first report for 09. With the snow on the ground it sure must of been cold up there. :Big Grin: Congrats on your new gear and thanks for sharing on FNN.:Big Grin::Cool:

fishntime
01-27-2009, 04:47 AM
Nice going on your first outing.. And that new setup isnt to shabby either.

tacklejunkie
01-27-2009, 07:24 AM
Good to see you back man. Nice wood trouts there.
Havin a lil relapse in back pain at the moment. Stuck in bed! Catch one for me next outing :Wink:

chris
01-27-2009, 08:36 AM
Come on guys. Gimme' a break here. I've been killing things all winter. That bass is lucky I didn't eat him right then and there, lol. All kidding aside, like I said, I'm definitely a bit rusty. I didn't have a net and I dropped the fish anyways when I went for my camera. I'll try harder next time. But if you guys wanna beat a dead horse, I guess I'll just have to fry a few LMB up on the next trip out...I'll post a few pics too, just for Gary, he he he.

that's too funny...

Skyler
01-27-2009, 08:36 AM
Good to see you back man. Nice wood trouts there.
Havin a lil relapse in back pain at the moment. Stuck in bed! Catch one for me next outing :Wink:

What's up, Casey? I feel you on the back pain thing. Hiking all season with a vest full of meat and gear and a shotgun in hand has left me in a bit of pain too. Mainly my lower back. I must have missed something, how did you manage to hurt your back?

Lightning
01-27-2009, 02:24 PM
What's up Skyler! Any Airgun action this season? Nice job on the fish.That did you think of the new St. Croix? I just got my new BPS catalog & those stood out to me.Peace

Ronira
01-27-2009, 03:26 PM
Nice stringer Skyler, sounds like you had a good hunting season.

HBJapo
01-27-2009, 03:56 PM
Good to have you back Skyler. Glad you've found a great deal of success.

Keep up the great work!

Japo :Envious:

trail blazer
01-27-2009, 06:24 PM
Glad to see youre posts again SKYLER
nice tackle you got there
and a load of good eating

steve092
01-27-2009, 10:48 PM
Good to see a post from you Skyler!

Nice work on the fish! It's a surprise to see a bass this time of year.

Skyler
01-29-2009, 09:25 AM
Thanks, guys. I'll be posting a lot more now that the season's over. Gonna be heading out to the surf this weekend to try out my new lucky crafts, he he he.

Hey, Lightning, yeah, I did use the airguns on quite a few hunts, but I focused on jump shooting with a shotgun a lot more this year. Ron, I actually had a pretty good season overall. Hunted a good two to three times a week all season, and only came up empty handed once. Anyways, tight lines.

Ray Lopez
01-29-2009, 07:19 PM
OMFG i can't believe you killed those trout.

Do you understand how bad it is to kill off our natural trout fisherys?

But yet you let the bass go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WTF man bass are the scum of the earth nd should all be killed and tossed in the trash. They go into our waters and eat all the trout.

These bass came from Florida and were put into our lakes years ago and killed off most of our native california trout.

I'm really offended that you kept the trout don't you know leaving them on the stringer hurts them and harms the gills???

.......................F THAT SHIZ KEEL DEM ALLLLLLLLLLLLZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!111!!1!!11 !@!34

LOL

good job out there Bro, keep um coming