PDA

View Full Version : 3 kinds of trout 1/24

See Chris Fish
01-25-2009, 06:52 PM
Arrived at the lake about 4 AM. Was very happy that the rain had kept the crowd down. Was about 10th in line. Started raining about 4:30. Just a cloud burst, though. Lasted about 15 minutes. Got one of the "World Famous" breakfast burritos and waited for the gate to open. Patrick was warning us to watch out for the muddy roads. "Don't go down to the waters edge on the flats", he warned. Awe, hell, it wasn't raining and I own a 4X4, so what do I need to worry about. Parked by the waters edge in my "secret spot" on the flats and went to fishing. Scored a nice stocker rainbow about 6:25. Nice way to start a day! Hooked into another rainbow about 6:50. Started to drizzle and noticed the mud by the shoreline was turning real bad. Jumped in the truck and had to 4X4 it to the top. Made it no problem, but needed 4X4 to get up. Then in about 15 minutes it starts to really rain. I'm standing in a little stream flowing down the shore and it isn't letting up. I'm thinking, thank God I moved my truck, cause I couldn't even get a footing with my boots on. Slipping and sliding. Rain is pouring and BAM!! Double hook up!!! One's a really beuatiful Brown trout that puts up a nice fight as the other pole is just dancing!! Land, net, and into the basket with the brownie, and run (slip, slide, almost go swimming) to the other pole and this one puts up a fun little fight. Turns out to be a nice rainbow, about 2.6 lbs.
Patrick in the security truck comes by and yells that if the rain keeps up, to move the truck to trout island due to really muddy roads. Boy, he ain't kidding!!! Nasty, deep, sticky mud! Rain tapers off after that. Bite drops off. Just enjoying the scenery and the wildlife around me. Watching the eagles just killing the fish. I notice that one of my lines is loose. Just sitting there, loose. I'm thinking, huh? I just checked the tension and it wasn't like that. Walk over to recast, thinking I must have been on a twig or something and the weight fell. Start reeling in and BAM!! Brookie on the line and he's running and jumping!! It's been a while since I limited out. Land him and I'm just stoked!!!
My first ever three treat!!
Total score Rainbow x3, Brown x1, and Brookie x1
All caught on powermouse with short leaders.
Didn't have a camera, so staff at tackle shop snapped some. Waiting patiently for them to email me.

troutdog
01-26-2009, 01:49 AM
Sounds like quite an adventurous day out there, fishing in the elements can be a blast! Good call on moving the vehicle, I've seen too many cars getting towed at the Vine. Thanks for the report.

TD

dirty girl
01-26-2009, 07:24 AM
Wasn't that the craziest day at the Vine? You were probably in FisherBrat's favorite spot in the Flats. That little hideaway is a gem, for sure. Way to go on that variety pack! It was a treat to see the Brookies showing up in larger numbers. Can't wait to see your pictures!

keepin it dirty,
Dirty Girl

one_leg
01-26-2009, 11:39 AM
Nice report. If those eagles were grey and white they were more than likely osprey's.

Congrats on the brook trout. They are often one of the easiest trout to catch.

There must not be too many in the lake or else we would be seeing a lot more of them in the reports.

I want to see more brown trout in the fish counts. Bring on the brown trout.

See Chris Fish
01-26-2009, 04:49 PM
That's them. Osprey, not eagles.
Lots of fun. Still waiting for the pics from tackle shop.

Troutman65
01-27-2009, 03:36 AM
Chris, AWESOME on your Irvine Lake Tri- Fecta, 1, bow, 1 brook, 1 brown. :!!!:

That is really :Cool: :!!!::!!!:

I am glad you listened and did not get stuck. It's gets very $$$ to have a tow truck wrench you out of a tight jam on the shore line .:Big Grin:

Next time your at the lake say hello.:Wink: