PDA

View Full Version : 1979, 140hp merc (help!!)

DropShotMan
01-25-2009, 04:25 PM
so i took the bottom off to replace the water pump, so put the new one in and tried to put the bottom end back on to the motor, it will go all the way on but about 1 inch, tried turning the flywheel thinking that the gears were not lining up but that didnt work.

SO WHATS WRONG? HOW DO I FIX IT?

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c222/53ford/1232930391.jpg

jctuckmar
01-25-2009, 05:12 PM
I did the same thing on my Merc. 40hp. Frustrated that hell out of me. The lower unit would just not go together.
Make sure the shifting cable gear is properly set. ie. male spline female spline.
The reason it wont go together is because the splines are not matching up. Either turn the motor over with the key... do not start it, just click it over. or turn the out put shaft where the prop goes on. at the same time, puting a little pressure on the nuts that hold the lower unit on. once the splines on the shaft line up, it should slip together easily.

joe

jctuckmar
01-25-2009, 05:14 PM
are you intrerested in getting rid of that skip loader?

j

XFACTOR
01-25-2009, 05:18 PM
I believe that you need to put the shifter in forward to install it. Go to this link and check out step 27 of the water pump instructions.

http://www.bassboatcentral.com/sttips.htm

DropShotMan
01-25-2009, 05:39 PM
thanks guys i hope it works

BingJr
01-26-2009, 10:30 PM
Whitney,

Theres no Hope in fishing, There is only DO.

Be like me. Do it wrong, than Do sign a big check for someone else to DO it right!

I just dont think you used a big enough Hammer!

Get a big hammer and swing for the fences, it should go together then.

BIGRED KILLA
01-26-2009, 10:43 PM
Whitney,

Theres no Hope in fishing, There is only DO.

Be like me. Do it wrong, than Do sign a big check for someone else to DO it right!

I just dont think you used a big enough Hammer!

Get a big hammer and swing for the fences, it should go together then.

Lmao.

Bigred

Troutman65
01-27-2009, 09:12 AM
are you intrerested in getting rid of that skip loader?

j

The Skip loader is not for sale.