PDA

View Full Version : Which Saltist?

DJM86
01-25-2009, 12:13 PM
I'm looking at buying a Daiwa Saltist reel for going out on a couple tuna trips this summer (3/4 - 3 day trips) and maybe using it for some rock fish but mainly for the tuna. I need some advice on which model (size) to get. I'm planning on loading it up with spectra and a top shot of 30lb. So I assume size 30 would work but which model. The models are STT30H, STT30TH, and STT30T. What are the pros and cons of high speed versus standard speed?

Oh yeah, any advice for a bang for your buck rod to go with the reel would also be appreciated.

Thanks,

Darren

samgann93
01-25-2009, 02:20 PM
if your gonna live bait fish stick with the regular speed. but if your gonna throw the iron jigs and such id get the high speed.

with the low speed you do get more power in the reel but its kind of a pain in the butt for throwin the surface iron.

either way the saltist is a great reel.

Nessie Hunter
01-26-2009, 08:01 AM
Good choice.....!!

The only thing you need to work out is how much line do you want on it and how fast...
I like the high speed, you still get plenty of cranking power, but having that extra speed is great when ya need it....

All the Saltist reels are the same inside (like many reels), same gears, drags etc.. Only diff I can see is depth & width of the spool.. So when you decide how much line you want to have..
Thats the SPOOL/MODEL you get...
(T models have the narrower spool)
Same cranking power on a 30 as a 50 model..
The narrow spools do cast a little better for slinging bait??....

RL-IN-OC
01-26-2009, 11:58 AM
One thing I noticed on my older 30, the rod post and clamp were kinda tough to work with. the posts were not fixed to the bottom of the reel, and the clamp was unusually large. Since I had it on a Seeker BS 6485, the clamp always seemed to get in the way. I also took me a while to clamp it on my rod on the moving boat. could be because I'm slightly retarded... J/K. Other wise it casts awesome. Just my 2 cents...

Nessie Hunter
01-26-2009, 01:53 PM
RL-IN-OC;
Saltist early/first models, had a dog leg (bent) rod clamp post/screws, with narrow mounting holes...
It was a biatch, and was recalled (A lot of us missed it??) and the new ones are OK & normal..
They were doing a frame upgrade (had to widen the mount holes on reel seat, only way was to replace the whole frame) to replace the older ones. Not sure they are still doing it????