PDA

View Full Version : A Welcome Addition To The Family

Socal Bassman
01-24-2009, 11:28 PM
The wife felt like taking a drive today, so she mentioned "Why not go to Angler's Marine?" In response, I told her "because I hardly ever walk out of there with less than $50 worth of tackle I have plenty of already" :LOL:. But since we had nothing else better to do today, I figured we could go check out what's new. I walked past the rods section, I just had to stop and check out one of the new Kistler Helium II's. As luck would have it, they had one particular model I was interested in and it was the only one. Then my wife just had to point out that all Kistler rods are 20% off. :Big Grin: SOLD!!! Well, I guess it's safe to say that my track record for spending more than $50 continues.

Kistler Helium II LTX: He2MHC69
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk264/Socal_Bassman/NewAddition001.jpg

Shimano Chronarch 50MG finds a new home
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk264/Socal_Bassman/NewAddition002.jpg

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk264/Socal_Bassman/NewAddition007.jpg

Welcome to the family
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk264/Socal_Bassman/NewAddition010.jpg

sesgia
01-24-2009, 11:54 PM
very nice :Wink::Cool:

shy_boxer
01-25-2009, 12:43 PM
LOL....nice addition to the familia!

Ifishtoolittle
01-25-2009, 02:25 PM
That's one big family, nice rods man!

samgann93
01-25-2009, 02:30 PM
dang i want to be in the family. haha.

nice new setup!

BassFreak
01-25-2009, 03:20 PM
Looks like you really like those HE LTX II's.. :Wink:

Socal Bassman
01-25-2009, 08:19 PM
The helium LTA's are nice rods and I love the one's I have. But these LTX's are just awesome. Takes a little getting used to to the grip material, but they are the lightest and most sensitive rods I've ever fished with.

Goofy4fish
01-26-2009, 04:03 PM
Great selection! I feel like I am at the tackle shop. Hey, Socal, since you are an avid Perris man, do you know what they use to catch stripers there? I may like to go after them since the hawg bite has dwindled to near nothing. Any advice would be appreciated.

dockboy
01-26-2009, 05:16 PM
The Heliums LTA series are very solid rods. Good price too...
Nice selection. Just wait till you really get very specialized lol. I bought one for 25 combos from BPS 5 years ago. Ive only got about 3 spots left before Im out :Shocked: lol.

Socal Bassman
01-26-2009, 08:01 PM
Great selection! I feel like I am at the tackle shop. Hey, Socal, since you are an avid Perris man, do you know what they use to catch stripers there? I may like to go after them since the hawg bite has dwindled to near nothing. Any advice would be appreciated.

Wish I knew myself. LOL. Your best bet at hooking into a striper is probably at the southwest corner from the dam to Rock Climber's Cove. I believe the striper population there is really small.

The Heliums LTA series are very solid rods. Good price too...
Nice selection. Just wait till you really get very specialized lol. I bought one for 25 combos from BPS 5 years ago. Ive only got about 3 spots left before Im out :Shocked: lol.

I don't think I'll get that specialized. I throw a dropshot 90% of the time so my He2M69S goes into battle more than all my other rods. I always joke around and say that I only have one rod and the rest are just for show :LOL:.

nismotech91
01-26-2009, 08:22 PM
Nice addition to the fam!

dockboy
01-27-2009, 09:14 AM
lol. yeah its because I started fishing tournies about 2 years ago. Funny thing is Ive won most my money on DS, jigs, and Sweet Beavers. Go figure. But then I again I live for the the days when the reaction bite is hot and you can catch 50 on rip baits and topwater. If I didnt like to fish reaction Id have like 6 rods total :LOL: And I have no idea why people are in shock when I say I need at least another half dozen still lol

Troutman65
01-27-2009, 09:28 AM
Nice. Always cool to buy new gear. Even when we really don't need it.:Wink:Good luck fishing.:Big Grin:

steve092
02-10-2009, 05:38 AM
Nice collection you got going there!

Hey, I have a question. What is the deal with the split grips? I keep hearing about split grips and I would like to know if there is a difference.

dockboy
02-28-2009, 01:17 AM
Split grips minimize the amount of cork on the blank and therefore minimize the total weight. The idea is, on a full handle, how much of it do you really use? the first 3 or so inches behind the cork and the last 3" or so. So you can make a rod lighter and better balanced, without affecting your fishing performance. It really doesn't help sensitivity. The key for a rod that is sensitive in the reel seat is the use of graphite or similar material as the spacers between the reel seat and blank AND good balance. A rod built with the same material, same blank, but differing handles wouldn't have a difference in sensitivity. I personally think it makes the most sense in heavier applications with longer rods, i.e. a dropshot rod vs. a trout stick or a flippin stick versus a 6' made for pitching in close.
The split grip idea has been around for a while. Rod companies like to act like its new, but it aint. Rich Forhan was one of the first to really make'm that way, as well as rods with spiral wraps. Custom guys having been doing split grips for well over 10 years.