PDA

View Full Version : Where to find innkeeper worms

SalesCall
01-24-2009, 06:28 PM
Anyone know or want to say where we can find the elusive innkeeper worm. I have just started trying to find them and have fair success with ghost shimp already. I even dug up some very large bloodworms.

Any help is appreciated.

cappo
01-25-2009, 11:01 AM
ive seen people pumping for them at newport

spooks
01-28-2009, 06:50 PM
Fat Innkeeper Worm

The Fat Innkeeper Worm is a common critter found in the sandy mud of the Elkhorn Slough. It lives in a U-shaped tunnel or burrow. It has a unique method of eating. It secretes a slime net, which serves to trap small food particles. The Worm circulates water through the tunnel, trapping food in the slime net. When the mucus net becomes loaded with food, it is loosened from its attachments and the entire net with its burden of food is swallowed by the worm.

At least four other animals are known to live with the Fat Innkeeper Worm in its tunnel home. That's how it got its name. Frequent guests of the Worm include a fish called a goby, a small pea crab, a clam and a scale worm. They feed on food that the Innkeeper Worm leaves behind.

The Fat Innkeeper Worm is easy to spot from the surface. Look for hole with a small collar of mud poking up from the mud. (small volcano)

Fat Innkeeper Worms are eaten by bat rays, who suck them out of their burrows. For more information about Fat Innkeeper Worms, visit the Elkhorn Slough Visitor Center at the Elkhorn Slough Reserve.

here's the link also http://www.elkhornslough.org/critters/fatworm.htm

That Dang Guy
01-28-2009, 08:07 PM
I saw a Sportfishing episode where they were pumping for these big fat worms. Are those innkeeper worms?

Just looked at the link. Those are it. He was just walking around looking for wholes in a lower tide. I imagine those volcano cones would be washed away with the waves.

HESBROS
01-28-2009, 08:58 PM
I seen a guy today with about 5 of them in a bucket down at NPH, I did not ask him where or how he got them, they were kind of strange creatures, he said he was going to fish them out at the wedge. I am pretty sure he was getting them out of the harbor side, thats where I seen him.

BiggetyBones
01-31-2009, 05:43 PM
Anyone know or want to say where we can find the elusive innkeeper worm. I have just started trying to find them and have fair success with ghost shimp already. I even dug up some very large bloodworms.

Any help is appreciated.

Like some of the others have suggested, you can get them in Newport.
Low tide between the boat slips... Look for the volcanos.

Good Luck and Tight Lines!

BiggetyBones