PDA

View Full Version : Pvr 1/24

Sierra_Smitty
01-24-2009, 03:45 PM
Hit PVR today with O, his lady and our dogs. Pretty much WFO folks. A LOT of dinks though...they must have stocked recently and heavily but the fish are pretty damn small with a lot of them under 10". Still fun as heck though.

I fished from 9:30am-ish to 12:30pm and the bite was pretty much steady the whole time. I was fishin the drop-shot pink gulp worms...chartreuse was bit also but pink was white hot. Picked up dozens of the smaller 'bows, 1 brown about 13", 3 or 4 rainbows about 12", and what looked to me to be a brood stock fish or an Alper that had been in there for a long time...it went somewhere between 4 and 5lbs, thick fish, big fins, gorgeous color. Looked a lot like the fish Trout Only popped at the res the other day.

Nice being out with good friends on a gorgeous day.

The doggies - Brooklyn & Brook, both of whom go by "Brookie" so you can imagine how funny that was! lol!
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o181/sierrasmitty/IMG_0942.jpg

Toad masterfully netted by O
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o181/sierrasmitty/IMG_0930.jpg

Brookie trippin on the trout - this was her first time fishin.
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o181/sierrasmitty/IMG_0931.jpg

My best of the day
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o181/sierrasmitty/IMG_0932.jpg

Brooklyn trippin on a fish...he's not new to this but is just as excited as if it was his first trip.
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o181/sierrasmitty/IMG_0923.jpg

Peace,
Smitty

bones
01-24-2009, 04:09 PM
Sounds like another day in heaven Jared.......Good job as always dude. Hey...When's the Blake Jones derby? I want to make it up there before that event goes off.

R U Ready for all of us crazy city folk to invade your resort again.....LOL

one_leg
01-24-2009, 04:14 PM
Nice work Jared.

This is gonna sound like a stupid question. Is it a stupid question? You be the judge.

"Would 2 lb line be too light to use there?"

I want it to be a challenge, but I am afraid of getting busted off on the rocks and such.

bones
01-24-2009, 04:29 PM
Nice work Jared.

This is gonna sound like a stupid question. Is it a stupid question? You be the judge.

I want it to be a challenge, but I am afraid of getting busted off on the rocks and such.

I can't even see 2lb with my glasses on Alan....LOL
Last year at the Parchers deal I had 2lb on one rod but the damn stuff kept breaking when I tied on those little tiny owner hooks....It kept pissing me off!
Seriously.....No need for 2lb. 4lb is quite perfect. If you do happen to stick a toothy brown with 2lb it will probably snap you off if it has any size to it but I've caught tons of browns on 4lb there.

one_leg
01-24-2009, 04:33 PM
It'll be easier to bounce them small ones with the 4 lb anyways. Thanks Bones.

I think I will fish from up on the road instead of on the boulders at the waters edge.

Sierra_Smitty
01-24-2009, 04:39 PM
Sounds like another day in heaven Jared.......Good job as always dude. Hey...When's the Blake Jones derby? I want to make it up there before that event goes off.

R U Ready for all of us crazy city folk to invade your resort again.....LOL

Blake Jones is the 14 of March this year. I'd plan on fishing before or after that weekend - fishing is typically of the hook!

And yes - I'm ready for the invasion - looking forward to it as a matter of fact hahaha!

Sierra_Smitty
01-24-2009, 04:41 PM
Nice work Jared.

I fish 4lb for multiple reasons. Besides increasing your chances of landing the fish - you're more likely to land the fish in a timely manor which facilitates a safe release. The Alpers fight good but if play them too long, they roll.

one_leg
01-24-2009, 04:49 PM
I was thinking of using 6# flouro but if 4 is ok I will settle for that.

It is what I got on two of my trout rods anyways.

diamondbear
01-24-2009, 04:58 PM
Alan , [O.L.] the way you climbed down those cliffs up north last spring for your Abalone with a full wetsuit on you won't have any problems fishing down from the road at PVR . The bite will be wide open for tossing lures and bait , it'll be sic . Just remember to save the bigger ones for me please , lol // steve

bones
01-24-2009, 06:01 PM
Alan , [O.L.] the way you climbed down those cliffs up north last spring for your Abalone with a full wetsuit on you won't have any problems fishing down from the road at PVR . The bite will be wide open for tossing lures and bait , it'll be sic . Just remember to save the bigger ones for me please , lol // steve

Alan is actually just planning his escape when the DFG rolls up on him and he has 12 fish on his stringer. He told me that he has a motorized wheelchair that has a banks supercharger on it so if he stays on the road .....he has the DFG beat hands down....LOL

Troutman65
01-24-2009, 06:08 PM
Nice going. Thanks for the report Jared. :Cool:

Stay^Bent_524
01-25-2009, 12:28 AM
Hey smitty, just a quick question... How far up do you usually tie the hook on the drop shot set up? 12" , 18" ..etc seems like every time i try im not successful but i always hear people catching big fish on the drop shot.. Maybe im doing something wrong?

Thanks.,.

one_leg
01-25-2009, 01:03 AM

Sure thing Steve, I will leave all the bigger ones for you.

The ones and a halfs, the ones and five eighths, the ones and three quarters.

They're all yours buddy. I'll even leave some two's for ya, how's that?

:ROFL:

j/k

Maybe we'll both kill us a bunch of bigguns?

Hang all the gear on my powerchair and run and gun all the good spots.

Pirates better leave some for us dammit!!!

Sierra_Smitty
01-25-2009, 09:05 AM
Hey smitty, just a quick question... How far up do you usually tie the hook on the drop shot set up? 12" , 18" ..etc seems like every time i try im not successful but i always hear people catching big fish on the drop shot.. Maybe im doing something wrong?

Thanks.,.

The distance from weight to hook varies entirely on how far off the bottom you want to be. Most of the time though, 18" - 24" seems to work for me. To be honest, I haven't had much confidence in the drop shot over the past several years, always preferred just splitshotting, however over the past few months the DS has really become my go-to tactic.

BishopTrouter
01-25-2009, 03:17 PM
I was fishing the owens last week and i had the same problem as you, except for one two pound hookjaw brooder, the rest were ALL DINKS. they were kinda annoying but hey ill take a stock of small fish over no stock anyday!

O
01-27-2009, 05:23 PM
Jared! Thanks again for clearing your schedule and hanging out with us-It was a great trip and even better company. Had fun watching my girl slay the trout with us. The dogs had a blast and so did I. Can't wait to get back up there brother.

troutjig
02-09-2009, 11:36 AM
What kind of rod would you fish the drop shot for trout with ?

Sierra_Smitty
02-09-2009, 12:16 PM
What kind of rod would you fish the drop shot for trout with ?

I use the same one I always use - a Fenwick 7'6" UL rod. I'm sure you could get fancier if you wanted to but I don't wouldn't think it necessary.

BigGameHunter
02-09-2009, 09:58 PM
Smitty, nice job. I'm contemplating going up for a turn-around on Thurs. I've been wanting to hit PVR but I'm reading there is a storm coming in for that day... Nice job and thanks for the report..

BGH