PDA

View Full Version : What Are The Odds?

yolo
01-24-2009, 12:16 PM
I was coming home this morning from my vacation home In Bullhead City. Since I had no time to fish the river, I decided to stop at the duct before coming home. I go to one of my usual spots and I was working the water for 15 minutes and nothing. I have a trap on and I keep working it. I get a call so I just stop the retrieve and pick up the phone. It's my wife checking to see where I was since she was expecting me home already. I tell her I just stopped at the duct for a few minutes and that I was leaving and going home. I hang up and start my retrieve again and instantly there is some sort of snag with a little resistance. I figure I snagged some weeds since the trap hit bottom and was resting there while I was on the phone. Well I bring it up and it is a swim shad that I lost a fish on in the summer. It had discolored (red under the nose turned to brown and the pearl white body was an off white color) from sitting in the water for months and it had line still tied to it.

I was kind of shocked and in disbelief. I mean what are the odds of this happening I thought to myself. I am pretty sure it was one that I lost but no way to prove it but still pretty amazing. Thanks striper for dropping my lure and now I get it back :ROFL:

Here's a pic of it. Just crazy.

While in Bullhead, I went to the Wal-Mart and they had a big clearance on many lures. I picked up all the stuff pictured for $34 . They were all minimum 60% off. I didn't get a chance to fish the river but I was glad to score the lures.

one_leg
01-24-2009, 12:58 PM
Major score for you. Congrats on getting your lure back. I guess the fish didn't want it no more.

geobass
01-24-2009, 01:06 PM
Ya.... that is pretty slim odds. Nice bunch of stuff for the price.

StriperEye
01-25-2009, 02:08 PM
Nice catch!..Good come up on the gear..

Hog Caller
01-25-2009, 02:22 PM
I had a similar thing hapeen while living in Texas in 04 & 05. We were fishing the Galveston south jetty on a wide open spanish mackeral bite and losing everything we had in the box to the 3' long toothy critters. We spent 3-4 hours the night before making 6" black steel leaders for this reason, but the mackeral were so aggresive that when one would take it 10 more would keep trying to take the lure out of their mouth and would end up biting through the line. My friend Greg lost his last lure and leader on the rocks in the rolling surf and was done for the day. I continued to fish and about 10 minutes later I hung my last spoon and leader on the rocks as well. I started shaking and pulling and managed to free the rig. When I reeled it in I had hooked through the tiny eye of his last set up that he lost and managed to free it up and get it off. We were floored. What are the chanches of a hook that barely fits through the eye by hand, going through the eye in rolling surf and then coming loose.

That is still my best fish story that I have had in 40+ years of fishing.

H/C

DCCTrouserTrout
01-25-2009, 02:42 PM
Yeah, that is pretty crazy... ha ha I mean for your wife to call so you would have to stop reeling so it would fall right on top of it... pretty trippy

cutbait
01-25-2009, 02:43 PM
Two years ago I caught a 2+ pound trout at Lopez by snagging the loop in a eagle claw leader that the fish broke someone off on!

yolo
01-25-2009, 03:47 PM
So I'm not alone with the wild snag. I have another similar one. We were at Lake Isabella many years ago for a holiday weekend. My buddy lost his sunglasses in the lake when falling off his jet ski. A year later we are back but the lake is way lower because of the drought back then. His daughter is swimming near the shore and steps on something. She reaches down and pulls it off the bottom and it was her dad's sunglasses that he lost the previous year. He lost it in deep water when the lake was fuller and she stepped on it a year later close to shore because the lake level was way down. Pretty wild, huh?

sidified
01-25-2009, 06:12 PM
Wouldn't you love to have that kind of luck on one roll of the dice in Vegas??!!

socalrippin
01-25-2009, 08:04 PM
wal mart had lucky craft lures for 60% off!! daaang!!!

DccFISHerMan
01-25-2009, 08:41 PM
wal mart had lucky craft lures for 60% off!! daaang!!!

No joke mann, i was in laughlin this weekend and if i knew that i woulda took a cruse across the river!!!

yolo
01-26-2009, 06:17 AM
They only stocked 2 models. Staysee 90 ver. 2 and Sammy 100. Still good price for $7 each. They were $15.99 each regular price.

olfishergal
01-26-2009, 11:46 AM
I better haul over to wally world and see if they have anything left. lucky catch.....wives are good for something :ROFL:

Hitts0n
01-26-2009, 12:14 PM
Ya.... that is pretty slim odds. Nice bunch of stuff for the price.

:Shocked::Shocked::Shocked::Shocked::Shocked::Shoc ked::Shocked::Shocked:

Bird dog
01-26-2009, 02:43 PM
Where do you hit the Aquaduct on the way back,near Ludlow?

yolo
01-26-2009, 05:05 PM
Where do you hit the Aquaduct on the way back,near Ludlow?

I live in Palmdale so I stopped right before getting home in Palmdale. Ludlow? The only thing flowing in Ludlow is the pee stop :LOL:

Lightning
01-27-2009, 02:20 PM
And the Dairy Queen...!

yolo
01-27-2009, 04:46 PM
Love the Dairy Queen there. The Georgia Mud Fudge Blizzard hits the spot in the summer.