PDA

View Full Version : Unreturned library book leads to woman's arrest

smokinflies
01-24-2009, 10:36 AM
INDEPENDENCE, Iowa (AP) — An Iowa woman has been arrested because she failed to return a library book. Thirty-nine-year-old Shelly Koontz was arrested Thursday night on a fifth-degree theft charge. She is accused of keeping "The Freedom Writers Diary," which she checked out from the public library in nearby Jesup in April.

Police say the book — which is about a high school teacher's effort to inspire students to write — is valued at $13.95.

Court records show library employees tried repeatedly to contact Koontz by phone and mail. A police officer even visited her home last September.

Officials at the Buchanan County jail say Koontz was released after posting $250 bond. No telephone listing for Koontz could be found in the Independence area.

lizzay
01-24-2009, 11:20 AM
what is the world becoming of us. Stealing library books? Maybe she just forgot to but IMO I think an arrest is far beyond the means of what should have been done.

fishermanwife
01-24-2009, 11:33 AM
A simple collection bill in the mail would have been ok... If still not paid, let it go on her credit and take it as a loss.. but an arrest? :Rolls Eyes: A bit too far I would say..

What next are we going to start arresting people, because they dont make their mortgage payments and are going into forclosure?

BIGRED KILLA
01-24-2009, 12:02 PM
I can't believe she would do that lets dust off the electric chair.jk

Bigred

Jig-Guy
01-24-2009, 06:39 PM
She should get life and have to work in the prison library:Beat Stick:!

sansou
01-24-2009, 07:56 PM
They have libraries in Iowa?

tacklejunkie
01-25-2009, 07:19 AM
They have libraries in Iowa?
Sounds like the Iowa PD need a few more real criminals to play with :LOL:

really_drunk
01-25-2009, 07:28 AM
lmao !!! i bet barney fife was the arresting orricer...wonder if andy let him have his bullet:ROFL:

2quikmotorwerks
01-25-2009, 08:18 PM
They have libraries in Iowa?lmfao:ROFL::ROFL:

boxl0bster
02-03-2009, 07:59 AM
this reminds me of the married with children episode when al finally returned the little engine that could. LOL