PDA

View Full Version : Do crabs regrow claws?

DEADROOTS
01-24-2009, 10:05 AM
Do crabs regrow claws?

Nessie Hunter
01-24-2009, 10:46 AM
Google..........!!!!!!!!

The ability of some marine creatures to regenerate legs is one of the many great mysteries of the sea. We regularly find rock crabs that have had their claws removed for food by fishermen or lost them in a fight with some other creature. A crab that loses its claws will usually be preyed upon quickly by a fish or another crab, so we bring them back to the aquarium.
Within several weeks small stubs form and if the crab can be fed and kept alive for one to three months, it will usually molt and expand those stubs into new legs.

How the crab accomplishes this feat is still a mystery, but we are able to measure how quickly the process takes in the lab.

Ambassadorhawg
01-24-2009, 08:30 PM
ALL species of crab, lobster, shrimp and even starfish can regrow legs. In fact they readily release them as a means of escape from a predator.

Saba Slayer
01-25-2009, 08:17 AM
Just thought I'd add this...It's a very common practice in the East and South parts of the U.S. to remove one claw and throw the crab back in the water to regrow the claw...but here in So. Cal. that practice is illegal.

REMINDER: California Fish and Game Code Section 5508 states that
“it is unlawful to possess on any boat or to bring ashore any fish upon
which a size or weight limit is prescribed in such condition that it’s size or
weight cannot be determined.…” (See also Section 27.65)

In Plain English:

You cannot legally separate the tails from the lobsters or the claws from a
crab until you get home or you are ready to cook them. Taking the tails off or separating the claws on the boat or at the slip can result in big fines if
the DFG warden is waiting at the dock or in the parking lot.

Jim / Saba Slayer

Ifishtoolittle
01-26-2009, 10:31 AM
I don't know anything specific about it, but all I know is this any Crustacean will grow back their claws when loss.