PDA

View Full Version : Do Carp Break Top Water?

smokinflies
01-23-2009, 08:40 PM
I went to Peck Pit during my lunch break to see if anyone was out there fishing. I met up with these two guys that were fishing on their lunch break. So I started chatting with them about the lake when we seen this huge fish jump out of the water. I don't think it was a bass because it was brown in color. So could it have been a carp?

troutdog
01-23-2009, 08:44 PM
Does a bear...well you know :LOL:

They jump, they roll, they do back flips, they do it all! :Wink:

TD

richaaron
01-23-2009, 08:48 PM
The majority of the fish that I see at the Park Lakes crashing the surface are indeed Carp. Not exactly sure why. Maybe they are chasing bugs or small fish...

DCCTrouserTrout
01-23-2009, 09:24 PM
When I go wakeboarding at Elsinore the carp damn near jump in the boat...

SOSO
01-23-2009, 10:04 PM
I see carp breaking top water all the time. Especially at Echo Park during the warmer months. Would be great if they hit topwater lures.

basscatcher
01-23-2009, 10:42 PM
they are jumping for two reasons that i know of one before spawing and another to get the mosqiutos. thats why people catch them on flies.

God Bless

basscatcher

fishmounter
01-23-2009, 11:07 PM
You know it's funny. Carp jump all the time for whatever reason. But hook one and it will never jump! I've caught tons of carp and I have never had even one jump! They fight great. It is just too bad they don't jump like a bass or trout. That would be totally awesome!

CraigH
01-24-2009, 07:04 AM
Anyone else remember reading a story in the last 6 months about a kid in a boat who got hit by a flying carp while the boat was going fast and he had to go to the hospital?

chivo
01-24-2009, 09:47 AM
don't know why but they do jump. weird kinda fish

DEADROOTS
01-24-2009, 09:58 AM
Anyone else remember reading a story in the last 6 months about a kid in a boat who got hit by a flying carp while the boat was going fast and he had to go to the hospital?
They are Asian carp! Thats a different type of carp that when it hears high frequencies it goes nutts and you'll see hundreds fly out of the water all over the place. They are somewhere in the Illinois river, check it out!

Flying Asian Carp (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ChwJiKKBdA)

TShaffer
01-24-2009, 02:02 PM
I see carp jump all the time at the riverbed.

richaaron
01-24-2009, 03:58 PM
They are Asian carp! Thats a different type of carp that when it hears high frequencies it goes nutts and you'll see hundreds fly out of the water all over the place. They are somewhere in the Illinois river, check it out!

Flying Asian Carp (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ChwJiKKBdA)

Not too many Asian Carp in the Park Lakes around here. Grass and Common Carp are the usual suspects...

Troutman65
01-24-2009, 05:42 PM
I see large Carp jump at Irvine Lake all the time. When they are spawing at the lake they are rolling right along the shore line. Very trippy to see .

steve092
01-24-2009, 05:42 PM
Oh yeah, carp break the surface all the time especially at city park lakes.

Throw some bread on a #16 treble with 4-6lb line and sit back and wait.

The Angler
01-25-2009, 12:32 AM
damn did u see when they shocked the water ? that was insane!

DEADROOTS
01-25-2009, 09:07 PM
Not too many Asian Carp in the Park Lakes around here. Grass and Common Carp are the usual suspects...
Read what I wrote carefully grasshopper. I never said here in these parks. The guy I quoted spoke of an incident which happened in the Illinois river! Dee'De'Dee!!!:ROFL: