PDA

View Full Version : Pyramid 1/22/09 - Wet but Worthwhile

Brewfish
01-22-2009, 08:37 PM
Took a vacation day from work and hit up Pyramid today. Packed up the rain gear, loaded the thermos with coffee and said the heck with it. The only weather-related bummer was that my father couldn't make it. I agreed with his call - he didn't have rain gear and it was raining pretty heavily this morning on the drive in. So I went by myself.

My dad and I went to Trout Only Striper School last October, so I was armed with a bit of knowledge and gear. Normally I fully disclose everything in these posts, but out of respect for TO I'll be a bit general about the stuff I did today that I learned directly from him. As usual, I'll tell you all about the other stuff that I didn't get from TO. Bottom line: go on a guided trip with TO. You'll be glad you did.

NOTE: I TOOK A BUNCH OF PHOTOS AND THEY'RE READY FOR POSTING. Per the information under Manage Attachments, I made them all .jpg and they're all under 97 KB. But when I try to upload them, I get an Upload Failed message. If someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong, I'll post the photos.

Anyway, got to the gate at 6:45 and to my shock the staff opened up at 6:53! I was the only boat in line and thought that perhaps there would be no other boats on the lake today. Turns out there was only one more.

Lake was beautiful. Rain and no wind is much better than the usual wind. It rained off and on all day. Not too bad, although I was mighty glad to have dry clothes in the truck on the way home.

Put out one trolling outfit as soon as I cleared the dock. While I was messing around with the other outfit, the first one goes off. Turned out to be a chunky LMB of about 2 lbs. Sick from the git!

About an hour later in the main channel picked up a striper on the troll but it was only about 10".

Later in the morning in the channel, got a nice SMB of about 2 lbs on the troll on a dark color swimbait. This was the only hit on the dark color all day. From now on, I'm going only with light colors.

About 11:00, trolled up onto a boil in the third cove from the dam on the east side of the lake in about 65 feet of water and got my best striper of the day on a Rapala shad crankbait. It was also about 2 lbs.

Trolled back into the main channel and picked up four more stripers less than 2 lbs. Depths were very scattered - anywhere from 25' to 115'.

Finally, concluded the day with another nice SMB on the Rapala shad crankbait in the main channel in about 10' of water. I had to stop because one of the trolling rods snagged the bottom and then some fish showed on the meter while I was unsnagging the troll rod.

On the way in, the staff yelled at me for trolling into the dock area at 3:02 and not having the boat on the trailer at the appointed hour. Vive le Resistance!

Total for the day:

6 stripers (nothing big)
1 LMB (chunky)
2 SMB (as usual, the coolest fish of the day)

I'll upload the pics once someone can give me a clue.

Take care,

Brewfish

lurk 182
01-22-2009, 10:07 PM
upload those pics to photobucket. after you upload each one, resize it smaller with one of the options under the "edit" tab. after you've got all the pics uploaded and resized. go to your album and copy the link under each photo into your post. use the link that starts with "IMG" ( i think it will be the third one down under each pic). let's see them smallies.

trail blazer
01-23-2009, 06:37 AM
QUOTE,,<My dad and I went to Trout Only Striper School last October, so I was armed with a bit of knowledge and gear. Normally I fully disclose everything in these posts, but out of respect for TO I'll be a bit general about the stuff I did today that I learned directly from him. As usual, I'll tell you all about the other stuff that I didn't get from TO. Bottom line: go on a guided trip with TO. You'll be glad you did.,,>UNQUOTE

COMPLETELY UNDERSTANDABLE!!!!!!!!!!
Ive got to take youre advice cause my trolling skill,s SUCK!!!!

Thanks bro nice report
T,B

one_leg
01-23-2009, 12:59 PM
Good for you. Glad you didn't lose your gear on the snag.

Congrats to you on the stripers.

crappie stalker
01-23-2009, 09:22 PM
Looks like you made the right choice to play hooky from work.. Good goingon the trifecta..

CS